I can't believe it....................

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You can't fix stupid. Management in my center know that if they put a helper on my car, I will only slow down. I will not go out with a ton of extra work and then they put a helper on me for two hours and think they are doing me a favor? Leave me alone and give me a decent day and I will give you a fair days work. After 28 years, I know that we have to work more hours at peak, but no one has to kill theirselves. I would even rather go out with a killer day by myself than have a helper.
Amen BROTHA!!!! I do not like having a jumper, it just causes more stress.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's not so bad having a runner if it's the same one everytime. Once they're trained it makes it nice not having to do the up and down 200 times. Most of the drivers at my building love peak because they get a break from the up and down. During the year they get out 300 plus times...during peak it's more like 100 times. Just because the helper is the one hopping off the stops.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's not so bad having a runner if it's the same one everytime. Once they're trained it makes it nice not having to do the up and down 200 times. Most of the drivers at my building love peak because they get a break from the up and down. During the year they get out 300 plus times...during peak it's more like 100 times. Just because the helper is the one hopping off the stops.
Anything the helper does is one less thing I have to do. As long as they aren't literally annoying it's a plus in my book.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah, and helpers take work that might have otherwise gone to another driver. The more comfort we seek in this job, the more we lose. It's been true ever since I've been here, and it is even worse now...Many drivers have said that they wish they didn't have to mess with delivering Next Day Airs. And UPS would be more than happy to take that work off of you. Sure, you would be more comfortable, but at what cost? UPS would also love nothing better than making sure every driver only worked 8HRs a day. And sure, there are plenty of people here who would love that. But not every driver only wants to work 8 hours. Many, many drivers love the extra OT. And even if UPS limited our hours to 8 hours a day, do you really think they would stop there? Really?

Logb17

It cost them more money to only work us 8 hours. Why? They would have to hire another driver and pay them benefits. 9.2 hours is the sweet spot i've heard from a center manager.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They only want us to work 8 hours? Really?

Of course they would. Just like in part time, if they could figure out a way to get us to only work 8 hours a day, they would. Just because they haven't figured out how, doesn't mean they wouldn't, or might not get there.