I cant believe they want me to retake the road test!

Romeofud

I just found out this ridiculous information this morning when I went down the NYC hub because no one was answering the phone all week. The reason I did this was because I spoke to various UPS drivers to explain my dilemma and every one of them told me that after they passed their road tests, they were given a DOT exam right away and took off from there. So clearly this had me feeling concerned.

So now I go down to speak with the HR manager. He tells me they cant find my results from the last road test I took so he has no idea if I passed or failed. How the hell can this be? I tried very much to plead my case but he wasn't having it, telling me come back down there next Tuesday morning at 9am to retake it if I'm still interested in the job. If I refuse, he'll just close my app so I said okay I'll be there.

I'm still bothered by this because it seems suspicious and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was led to believe I passed when the instructor congratulated me, wished me good luck, and told me they'll call me shortly. Now they cant find my file on my test results?

Anyway after that when I walked out of the center, I heard one of the guys who had taken the road test this morning claiming only 2 out of 6 people passed, and how 1 guy couldn't get the truck to go because he stalled it 3 times and failed right there. I just don't feel good about this. I'm worried they're going to make it tougher for me next week so that I don't make the cut. Is this craziness common at certain UPS locations?

Pooter

Calm down. Just another management screw up.

It sucks but at least they are letting you retake it. You passed it once so what's the big deal?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I just found out this ridiculous information this morning when I went down the NYC hub because no one was answering the phone all week. The reason I did this was because I spoke to various UPS drivers to explain my dilemma and every one of them told me that after they passed their road tests, they were given a DOT exam right away and took off from there. So clearly this had me feeling concerned.

So now I go down to speak with the HR manager. He tells me they cant find my results from the last road test I took so he has no idea if I passed or failed. How the hell can this be? I tried very much to plead my case but he wasn't having it, telling me come back down there next Tuesday morning at 9am to retake it if I'm still interested in the job. If I refuse, he'll just close my app so I said okay I'll be there.

I'm still bothered by this because it seems suspicious and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was led to believe I passed when the instructor congratulated me, wished me good luck, and told me they'll call me shortly. Now they cant find my file on my test results?

Anyway after that when I walked out of the center, I heard one of the guys who had taken the road test this morning claiming only 2 out of 6 people passed, and how 1 guy couldn't get the truck to go because he stalled it 3 times and failed right there. I just don't feel good about this. I'm worried they're going to make it tougher for me next week so that I don't make the cut. Is this craziness common at certain UPS locations?
Craziness? You ain't seen nothing yet.....just wait!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Bro. If you know how to drive stick , it's not going to be a problem. If you passed and road test guy said good job ,you got nothing to worry about. You keep raising a big fuss about this,they absolutely will not hire you, don't stand up for yourself, or raise a fuss, till you have your 30 days in and the union's support. Good luck and relax for Christ sake

Romeofud

Bro. If you know how to drive stick , it's not going to be a problem. If you passed and road test guy said good job ,you got nothing to worry about. You keep raising a big fuss about this,they absolutely will not hire you, don't stand up for yourself, or raise a fuss, till you have your 30 days in and the union's support. Good luck and relax for Christ sake

Relax? I'm quite fine. I'm not as worked up as you think. I'm just a little annoyed that's all about doing it all over again with possibly different results. I do know how to drive stick. I actually lucked out last time when the instructor gave me a second shot on that hill start, which I succeeded on.

I'm just slightly worried if I'll get a different guy this time around and a really beaten-up truck with jacked up shifting gears and I'm only an average stick shift driver, not a pro.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Honestly this is about a 5 on the scale of stupid ups BS. That's a scale that goes to 100. Might want to think about that before you go any farther.