"I can't drive 55"!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Brown287, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

Had the pleasure of driving through S. Carolina into Georgia last week and was quite jealous of the speeds you guys can drive on the Freeway. Here in Ca. if you pull a trailer of any type you can't drive over 55. I saw a P1000 pulling a TP60 driving 70 and was getting smoked by feeder trucks. I pull a pup so I'm relegated to driving just 55 and as you guys know for a UPS man that's like sitting still. So I'm just curious if there are any other states that let you guys go full throttle.

2. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

My package car can do 80-85. :D

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. UPS4Life

UPS4Life Active Member

We just had a guy in feeders get pulled over doing 85 in a 55 in a rental -_-

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

They oughta fire him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Tired Driver

Tired Driver Sisyphus had it easy.

I do not understand why drivers speed. We get paid by the hour.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There are times when driving the speed limit impedes traffic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

And what can we conclude, from this anomaly?

8. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

First time I've ever heard of tractor speeds being regulated like that. But what's the point? I thought California's roads couldn't get much straighter. Just something else they want to be more involved in than they need to be.

9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Why speed if you get paid by the hour? Sounds like runner-gunner behavior to me.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  10. UPS4Life

UPS4Life Active Member

He disappeared for about a week and is back driving. Now that's not saying he isn't under a working discharge but since we have so many people in the hub I would assume if he was gone he wouldn't be on a working discharge.

11. blkmamba

blkmamba Active Member

It's actually for the amount of traffic throughout the state. It's easier for a tractor to stop at 55 then 70.

12. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

You need to travel more. Trucks have a lower speed limit in Ohio, Montana and Wyoming to name a few.

13. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Also school buses

14. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

Cook county in Illinois ignores all speed limits. Just be prepared to slow once you get to the suburbs.

This.

15. barnyard

I rode around Chicago on my motorcycle during 1 of my vacations. Did the 294 bypass. Did 85-90 the whole time, just keeping up with traffic.

It was AWESOME.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Austin.Was.My.Hero

I like to rent a car whenever going to Chicago just because everyone drives like a friggin' madman.
    Going 20+mph over the posted speed limit and still get passed on the right and left....

*The 294 Ipass is exactly what I'm talking about. Get to the North side up around O'Hare and just go like hell.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  17. barnyard

On the motorcycle, I go fast enough that only the fastest pass me. I probably pass 90% or so. I refuse to sit in someone's blind spot and do not want to get rear-ended.

Going fast is a blast.

18. Anthonysg0113

Anthonysg0113 Active Member

I wouldn't go over 55 pulling a TP60 if my job depended in it...., wait it does! We had a driver pulling a trailer one time have it come loose. That's all one of us needs is THAT happening/// that's stupid. We get paid by the hour.

19. barnyard

All that said about speeding on my MC. I do NOT speed in a package car anymore. I do the posted speed or 5 under.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Can be. My old Jeep.....prob' not. (haha)