I can't wait till Thursday morning 8/8...

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The sheer amount of threads from boneheads that obviously don't know their union reps or know how to pick up a phone and contact their local wondering about the raise is going to be mind numbing. It always amazes me that people take the time to sign up for a forum and post a question on here when they could have just as easily called their local. I really should sharpen up on my sarcasm that day...it's gonna get used heavily...

didyousheetit

I'm going to start telling every driver who asks me about the raise and contract, that we all got a lump sum check and it was mailed out on 8/2/13 so be on the lookout for it.

stink219

Until it comes from hall. When he writes a letter, everyone calls it a strong arm scare tactic when in reality it was information that they complain they never get.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I know...the worst comes out of people when there's no information. I was told a month ago that the union over here on the west side has till October to find equal or better coverage than the EC6...which is amusing because there's still not much to go on for the EC6. Anywho, I don't expect to hear anything till after peak. I got a letter from my local SecTres stating that they're close on having a provider that will give us the same benefits as our current one. Which is crazy because there's only 4 or 5 providers available in Washington last I looked...unless more have trickled in I'm guessing it's going to be Kaiser Permanente. We'll see how it goes.

yeldarb

Like 407 said. Tell them it's the center manager responsibility to fix the problem, and to be prepared for the center manager to play dumb, but its pertinent to press the issue with the center manager.

browntroll

i cant wait till 8/9 and everyone opens there paychecks to see no raise, i told a few ppl already but i can imagine the ones that dont know anything
and were expecting that raise to keep them happy. i told one guy last week not to expect it and his reaction was priceless he had a look in his eye like
it was my fault everyone there couldnt stop laughing he walked away thinking i was playing a joke on him.

kingOFchester

Not everybody goes on the brow cafe or is involved in the politics of this place. From my experience its a mostly
​me-ster workforce.

This is true. However, BC isn't the 'be-all end-all' for everything Brown. We have the Stewards. We have our elected officials. We have the Union hall. We have the Union meetings. We have the Union bulletin board. We have the handouts. We all have the power to educate ourselves thru the many avenues available to us.

It goes the same way as retirement planning. Some are happy with the prospect of getting a yet to be determined defined pension upon retirement. Some are happy with the prospect of getting a yet to be determined defined pension upon retirement and putting in a small percent into a 401k, not knowing what fund they are in, what the fee's are or any information on the fund/funds.

Once someone realizes that they have some control over their destiny, then they will be more interested in self educating themselves thru all the means available.

For now, as the vote shows, it is much easier to not educate ourselves, but b!tch about the ramifications of not getting educated and exercising our right to help point our future into a direction we feel comfortable with.

Never stop learning. Not directed to you 407, just a bit of rambling stemming from a conversation from last nights dinner.

kingOFchester

When approached about the raise ask this question "Did you vote?". If they say "I forgot" or "no" or "the dog ate my ballot".......You simply reply with "that's a shame, only those who voted get the raise until the contract goes into affect, regardless of whether you voted yes or no".

I would be all for the Union having some sort of language in their bylaws or contract or whatever that would allow all retro-pay for those who don't vote to go into a pool for a charity when a situation such as this UPS/IBT fiasco arises.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Not everybody goes on the brow cafe or is involved in the politics of this place. From my experience its a mostly
​me-ster workforce.

Every UPSer should be on bc. Great place to get the info. I don't know how many times ive been at work, & had someone ask me a question. The most rescent questions?

"Hey, did the contract pass?" I'm like really?!
"Hey, do we get our raise today?" Really really??!!

I always offer to grab a copy of the contract from my truck, or open the bc app on my iPhone for them & find the thread for the info they're looking for.
Usually, that info is old by bc standards, & has been online for weeks or months.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In defense of some of the "boneheads", some don't see the union guys around much. I see them hanging around before the start time every few weeks or so, never in the evening, so I don't know what the part timers are to do. Perhaps local websites need more attention? This forum is like a library of information for some.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Go read TDU web site regarding the contract and supplements. You've got all these people who voted no believing there going to get more by holding out and TDU egging them on. I've said before that there's no amount of concession that the union can bargain for which will satisfy them. Don't expect a raise for 5 years.

stink219

You've got all these people who voted no believing there going to get more by holding out and TDU egging them on.
I agree! And this is from a crap political organization out to fleece members for more money than they pay now. TDU has never been involved in a major labor contract. They wouldn't know to negotiation their way through a Happy Meal.

cynic

I plan on telling my non-union PT co-workers I received a temporary $1/hr raise in my next paycheck from the IBT due to being in the union until the TA is finalized. :felloforit1: