I could have sworn I smelled doobage....

Johney

And increase the number of "petty" DUI and all the rest of drug culture "cases". Close one door and open another. I'll ask you.......why do you think it's illegal now? Just keep lowering the standard, ever lower....just give in, give up. It's not about money.
First of all there is no such thing as "petty" DUI. Your wasted/buzzed don't drive PERIOD! Doesn't matter if you're on dope or booze. If weed is legalized you would have no more DUI's than now. Let me put it this way, I read my local police blotter every week. Many times I read that a cop pulls up to a car and smells weed, car searched weed found ticket to appear for possession same thing driving down the road....possession charge. Now, get caught drinking with your keys in the ignition...Bam DUI test and possible charge driving or just sitting works the same here. Would that change if pot were legalized? Maybe.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The "legalization will cause more DUII's" argument is a false one. First of all, marijuana is already widely available and easy to obtain despite being illegal. Driving under the influence of any drug is already a criminal act, regardless of the legal status of that drug. Those who choose to drive under the influence of marijuana will continue to do so whether it is legal to buy or not. There are field sobriety tests that can be administered by trained police to detect marijuana use, as well as saliva tests. They are not as precise or definitive as an alcohol breathalyzer that gives a quantifiable metric, but this fact in and of itself does not justify continuing to outlaw marijuana.

W

want to retire

I'm being punished because your taking away might to choose. Solely based on the fact that a small percentage of the population have addictive tendencies.

Weed is illegal for a few reasons. It still has a stigma attached to it from the 60's. You yourself batch it in with "drug culture". If you had been around many smokers you would know its certainly not the same type of people that do coke or heroin or meth. This is how people think of it and it's just flat not true. I also think its too easy to grow at home and the government thinks it would be too hard to collect tax money.

I'm assuming you think we should go back to prohibition? Look how well that turned out. Many lives would be saved millions of dollars saved and millions more created by tax revenue if we just had the foresight to legalize it.

Oh and the fact that something like 60% of people believe it should be legal is good enough for me.

Many lives would be saved? Really? How?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Wow seriously? U do understand the concept of a drug deal gone bad don't u? The most common drug weed. So yes I think it would save many lives. Not to mention the lives lost because they end up in prison for simple possession charges.

I'm still waiting for your view on why it being illegal is the correct path. Other than the fact that morally u think it's wrong and you feel other people shouldn't have the choice to decide what's morally right for themselves.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Interesting. Exactly why are you being punished? You don't use. right? In your view, why do think weed is illegal now? What's "decent" to you? And, knowing the effects of drug culture and seeing firsthand addictive behavior.......how low do we go? What's your bar?
It's illegal now because the alcohol lobbyists owned the politicians after prohibition. Plain and simple. Again, all about the money.

soberups

The disease of drug and alcohol addiction is one of the leading causes of death in our country.

For the poor and uninsured, inpatient treatment is unaffordable. Free or low-cost treatment programs often have a waiting list of months. At the same time, billions of taxpayer dollars that could go towards making treatment available for the poor are instead wasted fighting a "war" that by definition cannot be won.

Your mistake is in thinking of drug/alcohol addiction as a moral failing and a legal issue. It is neither. As a non-addicted person, you simply cannot comprehend the fact that we are talking about a medical issue that needs to be treated as such.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A few yrs ago, one guy had a bsuh growing by his front porch, shaped into an ornamental bush like shape. I so wanted to grab a bud or so. People usually tell me, yes go ahead take a cutting when they have something I like. I like to try to get all my perrenials from cuttings. But he never offered, and I never admitted I knew what it was. Really, Id be scared to death to have that growing in plain sight.

barnyard

KTM rider
My FIL grew industrial hemp as part of the war effort during WW2. His son and grandson still farm the land and industrial hemp still grows wild in many of the fields. It looks just like recreational weed, except the stalks are much, much thicker, the leaves are not quite as thick and the buds are much smaller with almost no smell. We host a party out at the farm and there are always people enamored with the weed until they try some. Nasty, nasty, nasty and no buzz. The fiber from industrial hemp rivals cotton in strength, durability and flexibility of use.

My degree is in agriculture and for a while, our plan was that as soon as Minn made medicinal weed legal, I was going to grow it. Unfortunately, by the time it is legal here, the only people that will make money will be big industrial operations, like in England.

The US is a land of contradictions. We profess to want freedom, yet allow the government to make it illegal to use a drug that is less harmful than alcohol and probably tobacco. If weed were legal, the costs to society would be miniscule compared to the costs of alcohol and tobacco to society.

downtown

If it were legal I would quit and become a farmer, too easy to grow and super good profits. Bet the gooberment would screw that up. Guess I'll keep on driving till the day I can't walk.

barnyard

KTM rider
There was a series on Nat Geo or one of the other cable channels called, "Weed Wars" or something like that. It profiled a dispensary and a bunch of growers. The common theme amongst the growers was working all their waking time on their grow and not making all that much dough for their efforts. One dude had a mite infestation, so it could not be sold for medicine. Another had mold, so it could not be sold. I understand that a dishonest person could sell it illegally, but that would be jeopardizing their legal grow.

Eventually, I believe that the US will move to the English model, where weed is produced on corporate farms, shipped to a manufacturer where the THC is removed and made into pill form. I would be willing to bet that once it is available in pill form, the number of prescriptions written go way down.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My FIL grew industrial hemp as part of the war effort during WW2. His son and grandson still farm the land and industrial hemp still grows wild in many of the fields. It looks just like recreational weed, except the stalks are much, much thicker, the leaves are not quite as thick and the buds are much smaller with almost no smell. We host a party out at the farm and there are always people enamored with the weed until they try some. Nasty, nasty, nasty and no buzz. The fiber from industrial hemp rivals cotton in strength, durability and flexibility of use.

My degree is in agriculture and for a while, our plan was that as soon as Minn made medicinal weed legal, I was going to grow it. Unfortunately, by the time it is legal here, the only people that will make money will be big industrial operations, like in England.

The US is a land of contradictions. We profess to want freedom, yet allow the government to make it illegal to use a drug that is less harmful than alcohol and probably tobacco. If weed were legal, the costs to society would be miniscule compared to the costs of alcohol and tobacco to society.
Hemp is different that Mary Jane. I can't comprehend, except lobbyists being involved, why Hemp isn't legal. It would take us off the cotton teet, that's for sure. The oil from the seeds is extremely useful, as well.

Uses-for-Hemp.jpg
Uses-for-Hemp.jpg

soberups

Hemp is different that Mary Jane. I can't comprehend, except lobbyists being involved, why Hemp isn't legal. It would take us off the cotton teet, that's for sure. The oil from the seeds is extremely useful, as well.

View attachment 7618

Hemp seed oil can also be made into biodiesel for use in diesel engines. It is a better choice than soybeans for this purpose, since hemp can be successfully cultivated in poor quality soil and with minimal irrigation or fertilization.

gingerkat

Actually, in states where it is legal, it is already very difficult for a small grower to be profitable.
True that, plus you have to apply for a license to sell your product. Don't forget, California needs to get their share of fee's and such. Where I live, there are approximately 40 - 50 dispensaries in a 5 mile radius. There is also no limit on how much I can buy. Many of these places offer "bonuses" like buy 1/8, get an 1/8 free, etc. I myself have my medical marijuana card and I believe I can grow up to 10 plants if I wanted to. But, given that I live in the city with no property that is impossible and if it were to do it, how long do you think those plants would be there - lol? Also, once I realized that the puff puff pass does not work for my pain, I never did it again. But, for those that are interested, you don't need any "real" illness to get a card. That was a joke! Doctor almost laughed at me as I brought my medical records in.

Johney

There was a show on MSNBC last night called Marijuana America(or something like that). What I caught was about Kentucky and their fight against the growers in the woods and how so many people grow it to supplement their income because there are no jobs. Some grow spots were so deep in the woods they were only accessible by helicopter or 2 days walk. Then they went to California and talked with a couple who put weed into food products(brownies,peanut butter cups,etc.) she said last year alone they cut a check to the state for 9 million in taxes. Now they don't even sell weed just food products. With what gingerkat says(I assume lives in Cali)40 to 50 in a 5 mile radius there must be a hell of a lot of those across the state all paying tax money to the state. Now I read somewhere Cali. is the poorest state in the nation...I find that hard to believe with just the tax money they must be getting from legal pot it must be in the billions. Maybe not.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There was a show on MSNBC last night called Marijuana America(or something like that). What I caught was about Kentucky and their fight against the growers in the woods and how so many people grow it to supplement their income because there are no jobs. Some grow spots were so deep in the woods they were only accessible by helicopter or 2 days walk. Then they went to California and talked with a couple who put weed into food products(brownies,peanut butter cups,etc.) she said last year alone they cut a check to the state for 9 million in taxes. Now they don't even sell weed just food products. With what gingerkat says(I assume lives in Cali)40 to 50 in a 5 mile radius there must be a hell of a lot of those across the state all paying tax money to the state. Now I read somewhere Cali. is the poorest state in the nation...I find that hard to believe with just the tax money they must be getting from legal pot it must be in the billions. Maybe not.
Cali has changed their laws, yet agin, where the storefront dealer is illegal. You can still grow your own.

Johney

Cali has changed their laws, yet agin, where the storefront dealer is illegal. You can still grow your own.
I know they had some guy on that was trying to push some proposal threw to legalize it but it got voted down. Are you sure storefronts are illegal? Maybe it wasn't Cali. they were showing. I did miss some of it flipping during commercials.

gingerkat

Yes I live in Cali and we are broke! I just got done paying $361 for my car registration, we also pay one of the highest taxes on our "special" grade of gasoline blends, outrageous sales tax and well it's just crazy living here. Oh and I've bought the edible marijuana items and even made some too and it takes like crap! I spent days trying to scrape & gargle the taste away. I guess I don't like the taste because I've never experimented in my youth with any kind of drug so it taste pretty crappy to me.

The dumbest thing though was telling some friends about my medical card, because suddenly everyone has a "favor" to ask.