I do not care anymore!

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
From the perspective of a rookie driver, this is kind of scary to read as it can easily be me 10-20 years from now. Possibly 12 more years before retirement? Obviously you're a seasoned vet OP and I respect that, allow me to be frank. How long before your apathy causes you to make that mistake that makes things worse than they are now?

Even if you decide to serve the rest of your time with absolutely zero emotional investment in this job, there has to be enough of a concern to not have safety incidents and service issues. I'm really reluctant to talk to a more experienced driver like this, nor is it my intent to give out a PCM during our time off. Just understand that from where I am, it really seems like you're on the brink of losing it at any moment and doing something (either intentional or not) that will result in dire consequences. I'm pretty sure none of us want to see that. That's where I'm coming from. However, the amount of seniority that I have with this company is enough to put in a smalls. Feel free to tell me to shove it and I will retract this post.

SCV, there are no wrong questions Grasshopper. I am sane
From the perspective of a rookie driver, this is kind of scary to read as it can easily be me 10-20 years from now. Possibly 12 more years before retirement? Obviously you're a seasoned vet OP and I respect that, allow me to be frank. How long before your apathy causes you to make that mistake that makes things worse than they are now?

Even if you decide to serve the rest of your time with absolutely zero emotional investment in this job, there has to be enough of a concern to not have safety incidents and service issues. I'm really reluctant to talk to a more experienced driver like this, nor is it my intent to give out a PCM during our time off. Just understand that from where I am, it really seems like you're on the brink of losing it at any moment and doing something (either intentional or not) that will result in dire consequences. I'm pretty sure none of us want to see that. That's where I'm coming from. However, the amount of seniority that I have with this company is enough to put in a smalls. Feel free to tell me to shove it and I will retract this post.

SCV, there are no wrong questions Grasshopper. I am sane to not go Postal. I am just tired of trying to fix the small problems that I see in this company and receiving Flack. Since Management no longer cares, neither do I. I will always be receptive to MY customers and their packages. Next year I will receive my 25 years Safe Driving Adward. I try to never let my guard down. My advice to you is to do your best and forget the rest.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
It's sad, Rod, that it had to come to that point for so many of us.

I started in 1978 in a center with less than 20 routes. Hired off the street (big expansion in the area), made seniority right away with benefits and they had me hooked.

It was never an easy job, but back then local management ran their show by themselves for the most part. We had a pain-in-the-butt center manager, but if some of stopped after work for a beer and he came in, he was certainly welcome. What happened at work stayed at work.

Over the years, and especially after the 1997 strike and the company going public, everything changed. Production became king at the expense of customer service.

I really feel sorry for the new guys, and even some that were hired 5 or 10 years after me. I would be surprised if many of them can make the long haul nowadays.

You are reading my mind. Could not have said it better.

Rainman

Its all good.
Rain an, that is the attitude that has been growing for the last 5 years.
My attitude has gone back and forth a lot of times over the years. I try to stay positive, as this makes life more pleasant for me. I try to focus on the positive that the job brings me. I have no illusions that everything is unicorns and rainbows, but I also feel that the people we work for aren't evil. They are just a bunch of people who made career choices that they are locked into. These management people are more screwed than we are. At least we have a union to protect us.
When I realized this, I quit being so angry about the situation. I was able to step back and view things more objectively. This has given me a lot of peace regarding the job. It isn't paradise, but I could be far worse off.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
He is fine, hes just tired.
Since you say you are new, this is a place to vent, better than beating your wife or kicking your dog. That's all hes doing. Its not a cry for help, he can find people who understand, and then of course those who would like to insult. Then he can be mad at some unknown person on the internet, and less at his job.

Do not know if I love my wife or my dog more. I have a great dog but love my wife a little more. Everybody knows how I feel at work.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I worked exactly 30 years to the day. Started my vacations and personal days and it worked out to the very last day of the month. Didn't tell them my plans until 2 weeks before the final date. Received my pension check the following day. After about 3 weeks of vacation, I knew I wasn't going back. In no time at all, my mental aspect on life improved greatly. My family could tell the difference after I got away from UPS. Pension is great, but definetly had to earn it.

God bless and drink one for me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I love my dog. I have a great husband but I love my dog more. In a different way of course. Either one I would kill for, its a thin line.

Attachments

• 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 208

SCV good to go sir.

This is the future of a once great company
SMH!!!

Ok, first of all old man, I've sat in the break room before twilight enough times to listen to the drivers share their rookie stupidity stories while taking their lunches. They did dumb stuff back in their day as well so don't even act like the caliber of the drivers has degraded over time. You're delusional if you really believe that. I bet you won't shake your head when you get your pension check paid by yours truly will you? Don't spend it all at the Elks Lodge while playing bingo grandpa.

And finally (and most importantly), I've learned from my mistake. I make sure that I always have an empty Gatorade bottle in my backpack. Sheesh, some people. Thought I'd share a funny story to lighten up the mood in this topic and some cranky guy with more hemorrhoids than years to my age has to get all uppity and condescending. SMH!!!

SCV, there are no wrong questions Grasshopper. I am sane

SCV, there are no wrong questions Grasshopper. I am sane to not go Postal. I am just tired of trying to fix the small problems that I see in this company and receiving Flack. Since Management no longer cares, neither do I. I will always be receptive to MY customers and their packages. Next year I will receive my 25 years Safe Driving Adward. I try to never let my guard down. My advice to you is to do your best and forget the rest.

That's good to hear. Let us know when you get the award.

Thanks, I get the same advice from all the older drivers that I talk to.

wayfair

swollen member
Ok, first of all old man, I've sat in the break room before twilight enough times to listen to the drivers share their rookie stupidity stories while taking their lunches. They did dumb stuff back in their day as well so don't even act like the caliber of the drivers has degraded over time. You're delusional if you really believe that. I bet you won't shake your head when you get your pension check paid by yours truly will you? Don't spend it all at the Elks Lodge while playing bingo grandpa.

Who, takes there lunch at the building??? Now that's gotta stop!