I don't understand.....

nystripe96

Ok, so I've been a loader for 2 weeks now. Other than the bruises on my legs from banging into equipment, I rather enjoy the workout. What I don't understand is why many of the guys I'm workin with haven't taken the sorter test. I mean, even if they throw me back as loader after I take the test, I just feel that extra dollar + extra experience can only help.

UPSGUY72

It's simple either like the job they are doing now or they just don't want to be a sorter. It's not hard to understand. Along with the $1 hr raise goes more responsibility that some don't want. Also some people get comfortable doing there current job and see no reason to switch.

UPSGUY72

Sounds like they're just afraid to use their brains.

Apparently you have the same problem. I don't know how came to that conclusion from my previous answer.

What you don't understand is that your current job has no impact on what job you can bid on. Winning a job bid goes by seniority not your current job title a person with more seniority that unloads trailers will win a bid over a sorter with less seniority.

You ever hear the phrase "work smarter not harder"? Having to work harder for $1 hr more an hr for 20 hr or less a week isn't worth it to a lot of people.

When a position they want opens up they will bid on it if not they can stay at there current job pretty much the whole time they are at UPS. There are Pt timers that have work at UPS for over 20 years just because they don't want to be a driver.

Welcome to the UNION. You can be the smartest person in the world and it doesn't mean a think when your in the union.

nystripe96

Huh, what's with the rant? I knkw its based on seniority, but I'd rather broaden my horizons a bit rather than only knowing how to load. That was my whole point!!!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
When i started @ UPS I really pushed to get the sort raise had to break b-lls to get the money after I became qualified. My son I believe got it even before he reached seniority.It is about what you take home on Friday.Always go for the money.Be careful about going into supervision though. Give that one a lot of thought and research.

S

speeddemon

Some people are content to stay where they are at. Others have it in their genes to excel when possible. If it were me, Id pray on it for guidance and then run with it!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Some folks don't give a crap about the pay, it's all about the insurance. Working 1min or 4hours doesn't matter as far as bennies are concerned. I know guys that work part time here making more then drivers just for the insurance and the "workout". They pull down in one week at thier FT job/business what would take 2 months of their pt pay.

UPSGUY72

Huh, what's with the rant? I knkw its based on seniority, but I'd rather broaden my horizons a bit rather than only knowing how to load. That was my whole point!!!

That is your choice other people choose not to and it has nothing to do with them using there brains. I unloaded trailers for the 10 months it took me to win a driving bid I also have a Commercial pilots licence and a BS degree so I take offense to the words you used not wanting to use their brains.

blue741

How many different types of sorters are there? I did ten minutes of sorting at a boxline today since they didn't have enough people or something. It's ridiculously easy compared to loading. I'm surprised you have to take a test to do it.

nystripe96

How many different types of sorters are there? I did ten minutes of sorting at a boxline today since they didn't have enough people or something. It's ridiculously easy compared to loading. I'm surprised you have to take a test to do it.

Ya, my very first night on the job they threw me up in small sort. That was easy, but I know there's alot of memorizing zip codes and color orientation for sort designation. I'm still shocked more people don't just take the test. Loading is fine, it's tough work which I enjoy, but I just feel I can and want to do alot more than just scanning and loading packages for the next X amount of years

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is a preload boxline slide, which is not really the sort most people talk about.

The sorting most people are talking about is in the "primary" where there can be between 5 and 15 different belt systems and hundreds of zip codes, SLICS and exceptions to memorize. Depending on the building. Our hub's sort aisle has 12 belts per setup.

TUT

The sooner you accept that people are different, the faster you'll find your answer. You!=Them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have one belt. No sorters, we are lucky to have a splitter. They are trying to cut us down to one scanner/SPA. Sad, as Preload sets the tone for the day for everyone.