I dont wannaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sitting at home getting paid doubletime, just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year...

Cementups

Box Monkey
I haven't worked a non voluntary day in at least 8 years. I prefer to be home with the fam. And any day away from UPS is a good day. I did think about working today though since I could use a couple extra bucks this year but my wife was forced to work at her union job at AT&T Mobility so I must remain home with the kids. They were nice enough to let me sleep until 11:30 this morning since I was out shopping until 3:30am.

BTW we had about 30-35 drivers working today and 95% of them were volunteers. Hope they are enjoying themselves.

UPSGUY72

We started at 9:00 I was done with my 61 stops at 12:30. Then I got sent to help another driver. I finally punched out at 3:06.

UPSGUY72

So why don't helpers get to work on Thks gv and blk fri? Is there a valid economic justification or just another union scheme?

We don't work on thanksgiving why would we need helpers ???

We only deliver air on Black Friday with a limited amount of drivers why would we need helpers ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So why don't helpers get to work on Thks gv and blk fri? Is there a valid economic justification or just another union scheme?

The economic justification is that it would make absolutely no sense to have helpers work today. Enjoy your 4 day weekend and be ready to rock and roll on Monday--20 (21?) days left.

I am on vacation but normally I would work this day. It is such easy money.

Last edited:

tomuchdrama

i always believed that time with family was way more valuable than a few extra bucks on the paycheck. I can honestly say that once i had gained enough whiskers where i had a choice i never worked any day after thanksgiving or any other voluntary day. Unless you home life is a complete hell or you have managed to spend your way into complete and utterly overwelming debt why would you even consider it? Are you people crazy?:peaceful:
amen to that brother!!!!!!!!!!!1

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is such easy money, I usually work. No one comes here Id rather make the double time, than sit home, but this yr I thought screw it. Taxes take it all no matter how much you work, you only gain like 1/2 of it so I did nothing, am still doing nothin, and enjoying it immensely.
Ps yes I have no life.

AssistantSanta

The economic justification is that it would make absolutely no sense to have helpers work today. Enjoy your 4 day weekend and be ready to rock and roll on Monday--20 (21?) days left.

I am on vacation but normally I would work this day. It is such easy money.
If they did use helpers who volunteer to work on black Fri, couldn't they reduce the number/hours of inflated union wage drivers they had to use or are you arguing that it would be cheaper for the company to NOT use helpers?

upsgrunt

If they did use helpers who volunteer to work on black Fri, couldn't they reduce the number/hours of inflated union wage drivers they had to use or are you arguing that it would be cheaper for the company to NOT use helpers?

Is this your first year as a helper at UPS? If so, how many days do you have it? 7 or 10? All of a sudden you've got this attitude about how things should be and all these answers on how to make things right.
Who made you CEO this week?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The day after Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve are the days when no one wants to be there so the more hands on deck the quicker the job gets done. We only deliver premium products with relaxed commit times--using helpers would not get these packages delivered any faster. Besides, how could I justify my hour and half lunch if I had a helper on board?

UPSGUY72

HELLO !!!!!! We only deliver AIR on black Friday Helpers aren't needed. 95% of the drivers don't work 8 hours and some work less then 4.

In my building of 120 plus routes maybe 30 went out today. Again helper aren't needed.

Economics has not part in helpers not working today. The union does. If they had helper working today they would have been FT drivers.

Economics does has role in helpers being used during peak. Read on: Wednesday I was on a route with 196 stops about 40 more stops than on a normal day the day before it had 220 stops. It gets dark a little after 4:30. I pick up my helper at 1:00 pm and we finished the route at 4:30 just as it was getting dark. I punched out at 6:00 after my lunch. If I didn't have a helper I would have been out past 8 if not 9. So if they paid my help 9 hr for 3 1/2 hr that's $31.50 they paid him for the day. If I didn't have a helper they would have paid me 2 to 3 hrs of OT if not more. 3 hours of OT is about $139 they save over $100 by having a helper just on my route.

UPSGUY72

The day after Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve are the days when no one wants to be there so the more hands on deck the quicker the job gets done. We only deliver premium products with relaxed commit times--using helpers would not get these packages delivered any faster. Besides, how could I justify my hour and half lunch if I had a helper on board?

Lunch it's a hours worked day for for my center.

Re-Raise

I always believed that time with family was way more valuable than a few extra bucks on the paycheck. I can honestly say that once I had gained enough whiskers where I had a choice I NEVER worked any day after Thanksgiving or any other voluntary day. Unless you home life is a complete hell or you have managed to spend your way into complete and utterly overwelming debt why would you even consider it? Are you people crazy?:peaceful:

I volunteered to work today and had 41 stops and worked from 7:30 until 4:00 because I had to pick up an extended letter box. My wife and two daughters went shopping.

It was an incredibly easy 8 + hours at over 60 an hour.

My oldest daughter is in college and we receive no financial assistance because of our income and farm ground. We pay for all of her tuition and housing but she works a job on campus for minimum wage to pay her living expenses.

If she is going to work in between classes for such little money how can I turn down $500 to deliver 40 boxes? I love my family and don't NEED the money, but I was in a position to make some easy money for US and I did.

AssistantSanta

Is this your first year as a helper at UPS? If so, how many days do you have it? 7 or 10?
yessir.
All of a sudden you've got this attitude about how things should be and all these answers on how to make things right.
Who made you CEO this week?
Well, company choose to utilize helpers and union drivers are bickering about filing grievance, how they don't like that helpers getting used before higher cost drivers are given more work. It doesn't take much thought to put two together that dollar-for-dollar, off the street helpers add more production than using union inflated rate employees.

If it didn't make financial sense to do so, corporate would put a halt on this itself, but the fact costlier employees are throwing a hissy fit through the union personnel over helpers shows helpers add enough value to operations to permit reducing the use of high rate employee.

What I had no idea until now is how much of the restrictions against helpers are caused by road blocks made by the union.

Economics has not part in helpers not working today. The union does. If they had helper working today they would have been FT drivers.
That's the impression I got.

Economics does has role in helpers being used during peak. Read on: Wednesday I was on a route with 196 stops about 40 more stops than on a normal day the day before it had 220 stops. It gets dark a little after 4:30. I pick up my helper at 1:00 pm and we finished the route at 4:30 just as it was getting dark. I punched out at 6:00 after my lunch. If I didn't have a helper I would have been out past 8 if not 9. So if they paid my help 9 hr for 3 1/2 hr that's $31.50 they paid him for the day. If I didn't have a helper they would have paid me 2 to 3 hrs of OT if not more. 3 hours of OT is about $139 they save over $100 by having a helper just on my route.
Which means even off peak, around-the-year helper would permit some routes to be consolidated and cram more stops on the truck while still being able to meet same production quota while reducing the number of trucks on the road and saving cost and fuel.

I volunteered to work today and had 41 stops and worked from 7:30 until 4:00 because I had to pick up an extended letter box. My wife and two daughters went shopping.

It was an incredibly easy 8 + hours at over 60 an hour.
If they utilized a $8.50/hr for 6 hours and can shave just 2 hrs, it would've still resulted in positive outcome.

Just reading the posts about seniority, union and grievance, it's clear that union is a huge obstacle in business operations and staying competitive.