I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

Objectively, you couldn't be more wrong. The two don't even compare. Slaves were not paid, they were owned. If they left their employer they could be hunted down and brought back by force or killed. Any of us can simply tell our employer "I'm not coming back", and that's that..
"
Wage slavery refers to a situation where a person's livelihood depends on wages or a salary, especially when the dependence is total and immediate.[1][2] It is a pejorative term used to draw an analogy between slavery and wage labor by focusing on similarities between owning and renting a person.

The term wage slavery has been used to criticize exploitation of labour and social stratification, with the former seen primarily as unequal bargaining power between labor and capital (particularly when workers are paid comparatively low wages, e.g. in sweatshops),[3] and the latter as a lack of workers' self-management, fulfilling job choices, and leisure in an economy"

rickyb

chuck d of public enemy giving a critique on capitalism and control / ownership

"In a 1991 interview with Melody Maker, Chuck D of Public Enemy explained:

‘Can’t Truss It’ is about how the corporate world of today is just a different kind of slavery. We don’t control what we create. And because of the media, we don’t control the way we think or run our lives. We’ve got to limit working for a situation that’s other than ours. We have no ownership of anything."

BrownArmy

Bob is drinking, again.

I'm not sure that newfie is tieguy.

Tieguy made rational arguments: whether you agreed with him or not, he had a flair about him and a fire within him that newfie simply doesn't possess.

If tieguy had a stroke, and came back posting, ok, maybe that's newfie.

rickyb

in this program they talk about what surpluses do to economies, bad trade deals, middle age americans committing suicide in unusually high numbers, and wage slavery over seas, and deindustrialization. and americans not being able to borrow more personal debt.

steve keen rocks too.

rickyb

talks about jaimie dimon of jp morgan doing a piece in the NY times giving his workers (most of whom earn $10.50/hr) a $2/hr raise over 2 years (LOL) and talking about inequality, economic problems, etc all while he earns $12,000+ / hr

talks about black lives matter, the biggest coop in UK, bernie sanders, donald trumps proposals of tariffs, bad trade deals, guns, and societal breakdown because of a increasingly more dysfunctional economy etc.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Hundreds Of Men Sleeping On Streets Of Queens For Shot At Plumbers Union Apprenticeship Program

CBS2’s Ali Bauman reported they are waiting for an application to the Plumbers Union Apprenticeship Program. One thousand applications are handed out in order Monday morning. After tests and interviews, only a percentage are accepted to the five-year program.

“It’s a long shot, so hopefully I get it,” Anthony Hughes said.

Many of the applicants waited through the rain on Saturday and the stifling heat on Sunday. Most are already plumbers looking for a promotion.

“The ‘A’ guys top out at $67 an hour. The ‘B’ guys top out at $40 an hour,” Anthony Sala said.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I spoke to a contractor tonight who told me the going rate in Boston is $77.75/hr.

Finally Boston has something to brag about being better than NYC.

rickyb

Cn0Rh7FWYAEf0bL.jpg

MW-ER797_millen_20160718134457_ZH.jpg

MW-EQ532_young__20160630131410_ZH.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hundreds Of Men Sleeping On Streets Of Queens For Shot At Plumbers Union Apprenticeship Program

CBS2’s Ali Bauman reported they are waiting for an application to the Plumbers Union Apprenticeship Program. One thousand applications are handed out in order Monday morning. After tests and interviews, only a percentage are accepted to the five-year program.

“It’s a long shot, so hopefully I get it,” Anthony Hughes said.

Many of the applicants waited through the rain on Saturday and the stifling heat on Sunday. Most are already plumbers looking for a promotion.

“The ‘A’ guys top out at $67 an hour. The ‘B’ guys top out at $40 an hour,” Anthony Sala said.
My cousin is a plumber in Chicago. He rakes it in.

Has a bowling alley in his basement.

rickyb

im not sure if i heard this right, but 70,000 people die from poverty in USA every year. capitalism kills.

"Bane:...it wouldn't be very safe for me here, would it?

Bane: Of course, it might not be very safe for you, either."