I.E. is at it again!

browniehound

I'm ok with leaving the route's alone if drivers agree not have a max stop count, agree not to call in sick, agree not to request 8 hour days, say they can't get done with the work on the car, say they can't get all their air off in time, say their car won't fit on a particular street, or bring up any other issues with the work on their routes. I don't want to do last minute adjustments either, but circumstances change daily and we have to react to get all the packages on the road.

The reason that the adjustments aren't cleaner is that the dispatch system doesn't give your (or my) dispatcher a good forecast of what's coming. They really don't have a good look at the dispatch until it's on the car and then they make add/cuts to level everything out and it turns into a fiasco. Regarding the problem with schools or libraries in neighborhoods, this is a system problem too. The system that the dispatcher uses to make add/cuts doesn't indicate in any way whether or not an address range has a commercial stop in there. This is a big oversight in my mind. Sounds to me like these issues are common across the country which would indicate that they're mostly system rather than people problems.

I only know one thing. Before the technology everyone did their own schools, libraries, churches, etc. and they were delivered at a regular time by a regular driver. Now, these schools and churches are bounced around in a failing attempt to make something work. It worked for years prior to EDD so why tinker with something that is not broken? Our customers complain about getting 3 different drivers in a week. Why does this happen? So every driver can get 15 different stops? Its like we all look at our DIAD and we all have 15 stops that the other should have. This guy is driving over this guy and the other guy is driving over him, etc. Seriously, what the hell are they doing? Why all the overlapping and driving past areas to deliver stops? Why not just have your area and leave it at that? End all the confusion and costly mistakes?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
The route I've been covering is hacked and devistated daily and the dispatch lazily drag drops the pieces in random places on my trace or crams everything into my 8000's and leaves my 3000's empty. We have retards for dispatch. WHY AREN"T THEY HELD RESPONSABLE FOR THIS.
One day this week, and I kid you not, there were 145 residential stops loaded on the right side of my truck and 25 residential stops loaded on the left side of my truck! The excuse I got from management....add/cuts! After fussing quite a bit, my load was better the next day....only to have a load the following day with over 170 stops and only 8 stops pal'd to my 4000/8000 shelf. Why does UPS use folks to dispatch who have never done our job? Folks who don't even know where one neighborhood ends and another one begins?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
One day this week, and I kid you not, there were 145 residential stops loaded on the right side of my truck and 25 residential stops loaded on the left side of my truck! The excuse I got from management....add/cuts! After fussing quite a bit, my load was better the next day....only to have a load the following day with over 170 stops and only 8 stops pal'd to my 4000/8000 shelf. Why does UPS use folks to dispatch who have never done our job? Folks who don't even know where one neighborhood ends and another one begins?

Supposedly, my dispatcher was a driver. He told me a story once how he drove off from a dock delivery and got to his next stop to find he never closed the rear door and was missing his dolly and some pieces. Lol. this is one of many reasons why they are not drivers. Not just dispatch but other shoulder breathing preach but don't practice overheads. I have stories of managers having "incidents" while driven with me in jumper seat. I wont go into those "NON ACCIDENTS" COUGH. Anyone else have Stories of managers "NON INCIDENTS". out of subject now, but yea, they are not drivers.

Last edited:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner

He was looking out for u. the 4000 was your lunch table and 8000 was for a nap. thats why it was only a few bags of clothing for pillows in your 8's. I just bet the clothingwas for a school sence it was an 8000 section stop.

thessalonian13

At our PCM this morning we were told about the new service we offer!(wait,thought we stopped servicing customers a year or so ago?) But anyway,now for a fee customers can dictate within a two hour window when their parcel will arrive!(Hey I.E.-How my dictate?) SERIOUSLY?!!! Its so not fair...ever since Ringling Brothers stopped hiring,you clowns got hired here. Guess this is UPS' version of bag fees. Whats next Bozo?
I hope I get 50 of these a day... I would love to see my SPORH go to the toilet and watch my sup's cry about it. LOL

packageguy

This is old news, they are called SADR accounts. Not sure how much they pay for the service but every package shipped to them must be delivered by the later end of their "time window". Nationally Gamestop is a HUGE SADR account, so again this is not really a new development, but maybe UPS' "sales team's" (LOL) are now more actively pursuing these types of accounts so that there can be any type of consistency to their delivery schedules

Yes you're right, I have a mall and there is gamestop, justice, limited, dress barn, things rememeber, and so on. they must be delivered by a certain time. IF NOT YOU ARE CALLED IN THE OFFICE THE NEXT DAY, AND THEY ARE GOING FOR YOUR JOB.

BrownArmy

And the conversation goes down the toilet.

I was explaining to my friend who lives 900 miles away from me about add/cuts, random splits, routes getting cut at the last minute (and the chaos that ensues), routes getting added at the last minute (and the chaos that ensues), etc. etc. We talked for over an hour and I gave him my perspective as a package car driver dealing with the daily reality on the ground.

After hearing everything I had to say, he remarked that my managers shouldn't really be called managers, as they have little personal say in their day-to-day decision making process. Rather, he suggested, they should be called 'administrators'.

How far down the toilet do you want to go?

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I was explaining to my friend who lives 900 miles away from me about add/cuts, random splits, routes getting cut at the last minute (and the chaos that ensues), routes getting added at the last minute (and the chaos that ensues), etc. etc. We talked for over an hour and I gave him my perspective as a package car driver dealing with the daily reality on the ground.After hearing everything I had to say, he remarked that my managers shouldn't really be called managers, as they have little personal say in their day-to-day decision making process. Rather, he suggested, they should be called 'administrators'.How far down the toilet do you want to go?
I don't agree with your assessment and I doubt he was given all the facts. I'd like to know what freedoms and roles a "real manager" would have. Complete freedom to do whatever we want? I'm bound by a union contract. Does this mean I'm not a "manager?"

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I don't agree with your assessment and I doubt he was given all the facts. I'd like to know what freedoms and roles a "real manager" would have. Complete freedom to do whatever we want? I'm bound by a union contract. Does this mean I'm not a "manager?"

The company is bound by a union contract. You are bound to be demoted or lose your job entirely if you do or say anything other than than what They dictate. They are managing us through you. You many hold the title of center manager, but you are corporate puppet. Many jobs like yours will likely eventually be eliminated.

I agree these are not IE issues. They are corporate issues. If you are indeed a significant owner, find others like yourself and initiate some positive changes.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

A "real" center manager would have authority that is commensurate with his responsibility.

The modern-day center manager cannot decide how many routes to dispatch on a given day. He cannot decide which routes need to be time studied. He cannot decide which loops need to be rewritten. He cannot decide how many drivers to have on the payroll, or how many and what type of package cars or other equipment his center is allowed to have.

The modern-day center manager is always held responsible for any failures that occur, but he is denied the authority and resources to prevent those failures from occuring in the first place. Its the ultimate no-win scenario, and it is chewing people up. We have had five center-level management people go out on stress leave in our 2 buildings (Swan Island and Tualatin) in the last 2 years. 3 more of them got fired. They also whacked a couple of center manager's up in Seattle last week. My center currently has an acting center manager who hasnt even been in management for a full year yet, for the simple reason that none of the other on-car sups would touch the job with a 10 foot pole.

I am truly amazed that anyone who has done our job would even consider going into management in the first place.