I feel like i should be making more as a part timer of 9 years.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hahahaha
That doesn't even make sense

:rolleyes:

The Union and UPS feel you are paid appropriately. You also knew how much you were getting paid when you filled out the application.

The ONLY part timers I feel sorry for are the ones holding on to hope to get that full time spot. 99% of these are in smaller centers that don't provide enough employee movement because of lack of employee's retiring , firing , quitting , or dying.

The Union or UPS can not help you there !!! PERIOD

Hef, your posts are usually rock solid but what's up with the part time bashing?? Many of us were part-time waiting for a chance to drive...why shouldn't these guys now be a little pissed about having to wait so long for a ft job. Ups wants to send half the volume to the post office or back out of many 22.3 jobs that were promised in the contract 15 years ago.....that's a shetload of full time slots not being filled. The union could up the ratio of inside to outdide hires or have smaller centers pt'ers be able to take a fulltime job from a larger building nearby....these are just a couple of ideas......

wilberforce15

You add the health and pension benefits and you blow us away !!!!
I made 9 bucks an hour in 1995 to start
I am right around the halfway mark of seniority in my Local

The math sounds right to me !!!

Let's take a different tack: compare the applicants from previous decades to today. I've been told by some 20 and 30 year PTers in our hub that the line for applications and interviews used to stretch outside our HR office and down into a nearby shopping center. People with decent full-time jobs would apply at UPS part-time and be willing to leave their FT work. Students who got jobs were able to pay their entire tuition and room and board at the local state university with their PT UPS jobs.

Does this describe the current state of the PT workforce and its applicants? If not, you're going to have a tough time explaining why not, given that you think current compensation blows the old one away.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
How much should an entry level menial labor job pay? I somewhat agree that part timers are under paid. With the negotiated wage, it's not that far off. I'd like to see $12 after making book maybe. $10 during probation. Then drop the progression and just go with negotiated raises. UPS would probably even out money wise not having to retrain people who drop out. That was how Henry Ford ran his company. They seem to be doing quite alright 100 years later. I still maintain that after 12 months with pension payments and benefits, part timers are compensated reasonably well. If you take away the pension payments (since it takes 5 years to become vested and most don't last that long), then they're still payed quite alright. It's doesn't seem like it exists because it's not on your pay stub.

As I've mentioned before, in relative to the job market, I consider PT pay to be satisfactory. However, the current wage market has been hammered by the likes of Walmart, and most Americans are underpaid - average compensation is LESS than ten years ago, despite significantly higher productivity & record corporate profits; meanwhile, executive compensation has flourished. UPS is a an exception, in which the Teamsters have reached a deal that in five years will place FT within the top 5% of all wage earners in the country, banking nearly $100K alongside full no-cost benefits. Meanwhile, PT pay will start near minimum wage and 10-year PT will -- at most -- earn about $17/hour. Factor in heath care benefits, and it's still less than HALF per hour of their FT peers (and about a quarter on an annual basis, if using 20 hrs:40 hrs).

For a union shop, it's absolutely pathetic. Yes, depending on the job, drivers have more responsibility than PTers... but DOUBLE the wage? Absolutely not. And count me among those who feel that driving is EASIER than loading package cars. Without question, I would much rather deliver for 9-hours than be stuck loading package cars for 4-hours. Compare it to working on the sort asile... well, maybe not so much.

We could argue that current PT jobs weren't meant to be a career -- and I'd agree, except to the extent that UPS is among many companies converting FT jobs into PT jobs, thus a de facto creation of PT careers. We could also argue that FT package car driving wasn't meant to pay $100,000/year. And I'd agree with that.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The Union and UPS feel you are paid appropriately. You also knew how much you were getting paid when you filled out the application.

The ONLY part timers I feel sorry for are the ones holding on to hope to get that full time spot. 99% of these are in smaller centers that don't provide enough employee movement because of lack of employee's retiring , firing , quitting , or dying.

The Union or UPS can not help you there !!! PERIOD

That's not true -- hall clearly felt that PTers were getting screwed, and FTers were adequately paid, but he knew a contract that was more generous to PTers wouldn't pass.

And most PTers are holding out for FT jobs....

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's not true -- hall clearly felt that PTers were getting screwed, and FTers were adequately paid, but he knew a contract that was more generous to PTers wouldn't pass.

And most PTers are holding out for FT jobs....

I would say less then half are holding out for full time jobs. Look at the part time seniority lists and see how many people could have drove but didn't.

UPS WORKHORSE

Not all drivers think like HEFFERNAN and think that they are superior to combos and part-timers. He is just one of the ignorant drivers that think they're superior to everyone else. HEFFERNAN thinks he is so great and a hard worker deserving of a higher wage because he can walk into a diad room, input his name and employee id, see the diad board say HEFFERNAN you're first stop is here. Then HEFFERNAN... go here. Then here and here and lastly here. Maybe he is deserving of his higher wage because his diad says his box is located on the 2,000 shelf in spot 2351. Uh oh, his preloader put the box on the floor behind a bulk piece. Now I know HEFFERNAN deserves to have $32 an hour, he had to move a big ol' heavy box just to get to the missing box. I guess doing "I Spy" books after work helps him in finding missing boxes. You truly deserve $32 an hour for driving a vehicle down the road, putting thought straining thinking on where your diad board tells you to go, where your package is located in the P.C., and doing your pre and post trips. Congratulations. You're the envy of all scholars and make the slaves of ancient Egypt glad to be slaves and not to work as hard as you.

BrownFlower

Yep, same with me except it was $3.32/hr.

So that makes you what?... 85 years old then?

I've got 25 years in and started at $8 which was almost triple minimum wage at that time. This was also after the slashing of the starting p/t rate in '82.

What am I missing?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So that makes you what?... 85 years old then?

I've got 25 years in and started at $8 which was almost triple minimum wage at that time. This was also after the slashing of the starting p/t rate in '82.

What am I missing?
So that makes you what?... 85 years old then? - I am 58 - started in 1973.

What am I missing? - The ability to properly set up and phrase a question?