I Got a Raise!!

dex 84

I would say you guys hustle just like we do. I think the express guys on average drive more miles than we do, and drive...a little faster than we do. I would say express doesn't have near the piece count or stop count on average as a UPS driver. The Fedx ground guys have the piece count on the delivery side, but not as much to p/up as the UPS driver. UPS does have all those time commitments that Fedx has. UPS doesn't have a/c, I do know that. I also see some express guys who have like 2-3 hours of down time around noon before they do pickups. I'm sure that's not everyone but I think it's that way because express covers so much area?

Having hours of downtime is the worst possible situation as an express driver. Spend 12 hours at work and get paid for 8 of them...

McFeely

Huge Member
Having hours of downtime is the worst possible situation as an express driver. Spend 12 hours at work and get paid for 8 of them...

Amen brother! I take out just the right amount to stay busy all day and only take 30 minutes of break before my pickups. I'd rather work my 11 hour days and get paid for as much as possible. 2 hour breaks are a joke unless you live on your route.

MassWineGuy

Yep, set my 401k contribution to 0%. Did you know they raise your contribution automatically 1% every year?

Yes, but you can easily opt out of the automatic increase. Yeah, a 401(k) is horrible. Investing in your future is awful. And the free money FedEx kicks in? I wish they'd stop.

vantexan

Yes, but you can easily opt out of the automatic increase. Yeah, a 401(k) is horrible. Investing in your future is awful. And the free money FedEx kicks in? I wish they'd stop.
Who said it was horrible? I've started sending my mother money every week and need the extra to pay off bills. Once paid I can help her more. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Who said it was horrible? I've started sending my mother money every week and need the extra to pay off bills. Once paid I can help her more. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
Also your mother needing help should show you the value of saving.

vantexan

Also your mother needing help should show you the value of saving.
My mother worked as much as 3 jobs at a time in an area where finding a job that paid more than $9hr was very difficult. She did that for more than 30 years, got her CNA credentials at 65 and just gave up working at 73 due to health issues. All she has is SS and needs help. Is that ok with you? I never once said no one should save or be in a 401k. But most people don't have the union pay and benefits and saving while dealing with life is often difficult. I'll be back in my 401k as soon as my bills are paid and yes I send her more than $2 a week.

fedex_rtd

You do understand that if Fred and company had not stolen our retirement program like they did early in 2008, you would not need to put money into the 401k program.

My take home pay effectively was cut in half because I realized that if I did not max out my contribution I wouldn't have a retirement check that I could live on.

I feel for you Van, but your financial problems are solely because of corporate greed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My mother worked as much as 3 jobs at a time in an area where finding a job that paid more than $9hr was very difficult. She did that for more than 30 years, got her CNA credentials at 65 and just gave up working at 73 due to health issues. All she has is SS and needs help. Is that ok with you? I never once said no one should save or be in a 401k. But most people don't have the union pay and benefits and saving while dealing with life is often difficult. I'll be back in my 401k as soon as my bills are paid and yes I send her more than $2 a week.
What I'm saying is you going from 1% to 0% is only putting like $2 a week in your pocket. I'm not sure you understand the math behind it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You do understand that if Fred and company had not stolen our retirement program like they did early in 2008, you would not need to put money into the 401k program.

Only a fool would ignore a 401(k) because he's getting a pension, even a good pension.

vantexan

My take home pay effectively was cut in half because I realized that if I did not max out my contribution I wouldn't have a retirement check that I could live on.

I feel for you Van, but your financial problems are solely because of corporate greed.
They definitely had a hand in it, but if I hadn't quit in 2013 I'd be making about $4.50hr more, have 4 weeks of vacation, with much more in my portable pension. Of course being at $18.17hr after almost 15 years made me look for a way out.

vantexan

What I'm saying is you going from 1% to 0% is only putting like $2 a week in your pocket. I'm not sure you understand the math behind it.
Sorry, but I never said I only contributed 1%. I contributed 6% to get the highest 3.5% match. They bumped me up to 7% automatically in March.

vantexan

They definitely had a hand in it, but if I hadn't quit in 2013 I'd be making about $4.50hr more, have 4 weeks of vacation, with much more in my portable pension. Of course being at $18.17hr after almost 15 years made me look for a way out.
Gee Dano, guess you missed where I said I shouldn't have quit. But then again you are trying to put a happy face on the company screwing over tens of thousands of people. And trying to discredit me. How's it my fault that after 15 years I'm at $18.17hr? How's it any midrange employee's fault? Tell me where we're all going to go during the worst recession in 75 years? You're nothing but a shill, a hack, and a liar. No wonder some on here hate Christianity if you're representative of it.

bacha29

Spot on VT. Denial 59 has no concept of the impoverished conditions kids in America today are still being born into . At the same time the vast majority of guys who work for Ground contractors would leap at the $ 18.17 you're getting. because on average if converted to an hourly wage most would be at about 12 bucks all straight time no benefits and given the growing pattern of downward pressure that is being put on contractor settlements clearly X thinks even that is too high of a wage. As for Denial 59 remember Christians like him and the version of they personify were the inspiration for the Genesis song " Jesus, he knows me"......... and Denial 59 has been talking to Jesus all his life and he knows that Denial 59 is right.

vantexan

Spot on VT. Denial 59 has no concept of the impoverished conditions kids in America today are still being born into . At the same time the vast majority of guys who work for Ground contractors would leap at the $ 18.17 you're getting. because on average if converted to an hourly wage most would be at about 12 bucks all straight time no benefits and given the growing pattern of downward pressure that is being put on contractor settlements clearly X thinks even that is too high of a wage. As for Denial 59 remember Christians like him and the version of they personify were the inspiration for the Genesis song " Jesus, he knows me"......... and Denial 59 has been talking to Jesus all his life and he knows that Denial 59 is right.
$18.17 was what I was making in 2013. At $15.82 now.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

You type so many words, yet you say so little.