I hate schools!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The route I'm covering this week has a grade school a junior high a high school and a college on it. Apparently July 1 is the date they can start ordering their supplies. I'm swamped in a p1300 that's brick loaded with a new loader loading. The big problem is this route already has a few bulk stops that take up the floor so it's all brick loaded on shelves until room runs out then throw it where ever u can fit it. Does management have a plan of course not its do your best or you'll be ok. Well my best today is 12 stops off at lunch and 90 to go its gonna be a long day. Anyone else have multiple schools on your route that completely change your route for a month or so during this time?

Indecisi0n

I cover a route that has 3 schools. I either call and say I need help with my businesses or I give my late eta and hope for help. Nothing else you can do. Management doesn't care.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The route I'm covering this week has a grade school a junior high a high school and a college on it. Apparently July 1 is the date they can start ordering their supplies. I'm swamped in a p1300 that's brick loaded with a new loader loading. The big problem is this route already has a few bulk stops that take up the floor so it's all brick loaded on shelves until room runs out then throw it where ever u can fit it. Does management have a plan of course not its do your best or you'll be ok. Well my best today is 12 stops off at lunch and 90 to go its gonna be a long day. Anyone else have multiple schools on your route that completely change your route for a month or so during this time?

At least you know why the regular driver takes vacation this week.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I used to cover a route that had the county fairgrounds on it. The regular driver always took the two weeks of the fair off. Eventually, I bid it, and started taking the same two weeks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Two of my previous bid routes had summer camps---I would always take the week that the kids moved in and the week that they moved out off.

My current route has 3 public schools and a college. The public schools try to spread their orders out and the bump in volume is not that bad. The college bookstore gears up about a month or so before the semester starts and that is a significant bump in volume.

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to cover a route that had the county fairgrounds on it. The regular driver always took the two weeks of the fair off. Eventually, I bid it, and started taking the same two weeks.

I would normally take fair week off but not because of the fair---that was one of my annual trips to Canada for fishing weeks and it just worked out that way. The few times I did deliver the fair the only hassle was all the cash only COD's. Other than that it was a nice break to get to eat a corn dog or two.

preload1

Quit whinnig and dig in. If you consider yourself a "brown slave" then you should look for other employment. My guess is that with your attitude after talking to you no one else outside of UPS would hire you because you need to man-up to survive in this world. Consider yourself lucky to work for a company that pays you well. Those packages pay your salary. Grow up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Quit whinnig and dig in. If you consider yourself a "brown slave" then you should look for other employment. My guess is that with your attitude after talking to you no one else outside of UPS would hire you because you need to man-up to survive in this world. Consider yourself lucky to work for a company that pays you well. Those packages pay your salary. Grow up.

Ah, yes, the old "you should consider yourself lucky" speech...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The few times I did deliver the fair the big hassle was all the cash only COD's. Other than that it was a nice break to get to eat a corn dog or two.

There were days days I'd leave the fairgrounds with 5k+ in 1's, 5's, 10's and 20's in my pocket. I was always glad that the rest of my day was out in the sticks. The real challenge was keeping the carnies from trying to short me.:surprised:

Johney

I guess I'll consider myself lucky. I have 1 school on route and it's very early in my area so delivery is not a problem a plus is I've known the staff for a long time so delivery problems are far and few in between.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
. You forgot to mention how you walked uphill both ways in a foot of snow to school, there are kids starving in Africa, and McDonald's is hiring. How dare I come to a talk forum to blow off my steam. I'll remember next time to bend over smile and ask for another lol.

I used to have two schools and then I pawned them off on some stupid runner who is no longer with the firm. I love runners

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I used to have two schools and then I pawned them off on some stupid runner who is no longer with the firm. I love runners

I love pawning off stops. The route I run now, had a pick-up at the absolute end of the day that I was either too early or too late to make (go figure dispatches). When I was asked who could make it, I said pick a driver. It was less than 100 yards from the center!

CRASH501

welcome to my world
i have, middle school 3 individual delivery locations / schools located at the same address,
elementary school (EASY basement delivery )
high school
high school campus- 4 separate schools located in 1 building as well as the nurse and custodian who get seperate deliveries
middle school with 2 schools in the same building
and 1 more elementary school with a charter high school located on the 4th floor!
occasionally i get a split with 2 more simple 1 floor walk ups that average 10-40 pcs per school.
Understand the deliveries at each level, elementary, middle, high school usually mirror themselves on heavy days! 200+ pcs for schools alone all off by 12pm with an 8:45 start

Buck Fifty

Mom and Dad must be a school teacher !! just saying !

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

You feel like a real man every time you strap your walkie talkie on, don't you?

brownedout

3 public elementary schools. 2 private K-8 schools. One of the private schools is closed down the entire month of July. Their first delivery in Aug. is always fun, fun, fun. 1 of the public schools is in a different school district from the other 2, they need to spend their supply budget by the last day of school of any given year. The last 2 or 3 weeks of school and the week after school ends are pretty hectic there. It is a low 2000 so as long as loader doesn't block my bulkhead is usually pretty accessible. Been on the route forever and have great working relationships with the people responsible for receiving. Yeah the pieces increase radically in the summer, but I know this. Parking is easier, no kids to deal with, generally have full attention of receiver(s), in short it is what it is. It is what it has been for the 12 years the route has been mine, and the 8 years I provided coverage before that. I know this and don't fret it. Someoneone is always going to be heavy on any given day, someoneone will always cause you to be bulked out, if not the schools than someone else. I'd rather have all these schools in my way for a little in the AM than a 3-4 + piece Pottery Barn stop with no safe release and threat of rain.