I hate schools!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have one Elementary School on my route and I usually hit them before 10:30. Last year they got some kind of grant they had to spend or loose, so I had about a hundred boxes of art and paper supplies one week. Usually they are no problem, the driver next to me has six schools schools. He gets pretty bulked out sometimes.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would have gladly delivered 10 schools over having to deliver one construction site. Construction sites are terrible --- especially when they first are getting things going. I sent back many packages because no one wanted to sign for anything. I only gave them one chance -- if I heard the frase "I'm not signing" it was an automatic RTS refused). I always refused to play the "go see Joe-he will probably sign" game. I would tell them bring "Joe" to me because we weren't allowed to roam around construction sites. (sometime its better if you make up the rules as you go). It was always amazing how quick some of these sites caught on to the fact that when they saw a UPS truck pulll up someone with authority needed to meet it or their precious box of special bolts that they had been waiting on for 2 weeks was going to have to be reordered --- again..

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Have one elementary school on my route. No one will be there until the week before school opens. I have the center reroute the parcels to the district office in another town until school starts. Loop buddy is not happy but stuff happens!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Have one elementary school on my route. No one will be there until the week before school opens. I have the center reroute the parcels to the district office in another town until school starts. Loop buddy is not happy but stuff happens!

Don't hate the player hate the game lol.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would have gladly delivered 10 schools over having to deliver one construction site. Construction sites are terrible --- especially when they first are getting things going. I sent back many packages because no one wanted to sign for anything. I only gave them one chance -- if I heard the frase "I'm not signing" it was an automatic RTS refused). I always refused to play the "go see Joe-he will probably sign" game. I would tell them bring "Joe" to me because we weren't allowed to roam around construction sites. (sometime its better if you make up the rules as you go). It was always amazing how quick some of these sites caught on to the fact that when they saw a UPS truck pulll up someone with authority needed to meet it or their precious box of special bolts that they had been waiting on for 2 weeks was going to have to be reordered --- again..

Whenever a construction site starts up on my route I always find the foreman or site manager and make up a story about how both OSHA and UPS company policy "prohibits DOT-certified drivers from entering any area that requires a hard hat and steel toed boots to be worn". Its total BS of course, but they dont know that and if I spew out enough acronyms and legal sounding mumbo jumbo I can almost always get them to sign a pad of delivery notices and leave them by the gate for me. I am more than willing to be patient and reasonable when a site first starts up, but on a daily basis I am not going to spend 20 minutes dragging a handtruck full of bolts to all four corners of a muddy, 2-acre construction site while begging everybody I see for a signature. Unfortunately, there are times when the only way you can force them to become willing to sign is by getting tough and sheeting their packages up as refused.

texan

Whenever a construction site starts up on my route I always find the foreman or site manager and make up a story about how both OSHA and UPS company policy "prohibits DOT-certified drivers from entering any area that requires a hard hat and steel toed boots to be worn". Its total BS of course, but they dont know that and if I spew out enough acronyms and legal sounding mumbo jumbo I can almost always get them to sign a pad of delivery notices and leave them by the gate for me. I am more than willing to be patient and reasonable when a site first starts up, but on a daily basis I am not going to spend 20 minutes dragging a handtruck full of bolts to all four corners of a muddy, 2-acre construction site while begging everybody I see for a signature. Unfortunately, there are times when the only way you can force them to become willing to sign is by getting tough and sheeting their packages up as refused.

Re "Whenever a construction site starts up on my route I always find the foreman or site manager and make up a story about how
both OSHA and UPS company policy "prohibits DOT-certified drivers from entering any area that requires a hard hat and
steel toed boots to be worn"

Clever LOL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have several construction sites on the college campus that I deliver to. One of them has a job trailer with an office manager who signs for all deliveries. The other two have designated a trailer for deliveries. I don't wander around construction sites trying to find someone to sign.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have 3 schools on the route I am covering now. We have had key cards for the delivery entrances for at least 10 years. Back up to the dock, unload, SDN and head out. The custodians do not want us walking around looking for a sig and would prefer that we leave what we have and lock up behind us. They even leave a couple of carts by the door.

Almost, I say almost, as easy as a resi stop.

I covered another route for 4 years. I had keys for those buildings. Stop, drop and go.

thessalonian13

The route I'm covering this week has a grade school a junior high a high school and a college on it. Apparently July 1 is the date they can start ordering their supplies. I'm swamped in a p1300 that's brick loaded with a new loader loading. The big problem is this route already has a few bulk stops that take up the floor so it's all brick loaded on shelves until room runs out then throw it where ever u can fit it. Does management have a plan of course not its do your best or you'll be ok. Well my best today is 12 stops off at lunch and 90 to go its gonna be a long day. Anyone else have multiple schools on your route that completely change your route for a month or so during this time?
I made sure years ago to bid on a route with no schools or UPS stores in it.