I hate U-Hauls.

STFXG

I'd be curious to see what an 01 is actually for. You have anything in writing that defines the code an it's uses? I've asked multiple times for something and they haven't been able to give me anything, just an explanation. And I've been told its for flooded areas, emergency areas, accidents, fires, things like that...

CJinx

Fall on the sword? You really don't know how things work between contractors and SMs.
We say, "we were told this."
They say, "I never said that".
The incident ends with a "do it this way from now on."
"Ok."
Done.

As long as it doesn't happen again its over.
When I mean 'caught', I mean by someone who is above the SM and/or outside the station so he or she just can't sweep it under the rug. They crack down hard on the SM, and the **** will roll downhill. While I imagine a lot of these things end up resolved in a BD like you just described, if the offense is egregious or repetitious enough than it may warrant driver disqualification.

I'd be curious to see what an 01 is actually for. You have anything in writing that defines the code an it's uses? I've asked multiple times for something and they haven't been able to give me anything, just an explanation. And I've been told its for flooded areas, emergency areas, accidents, fires, things like that...
Your building has been trained differently on what qualifies as a security delay and what doesn't. Maybe management needs to learn what status codes are used for what situations if they don't want confusion. Whether that's my building or your building. Doesn't matter to me. I'm not taking any kind of service failure using an 01 or an 07.
Now that I think about it, no. I don't believe I have anything in writing that specifically dictates when to use a security delay. I advocate it's use for construction, emergencies, accidents, dogs, downed trees/power lines, parades, etc. Things that are most likely out of your control that prevent you from attempting delivery.

STFXG

^^ that makes too much sense.

I like "gray" areas... Prefer not to have things clearly defined. Gives more wiggle room.

CJinx

As long as the driver can give a reasonable explanation for the use of the code, nobody has any business hassling them over it. Heck, I'll even offer to call the consignee to make arrangements.

I have no dog in the fight when it comes to determining which course of action is correct and which makes the station look better than it actually is, so I will go with correct every time because it keeps me employed.

STFXG

The correct code for vicious dogs etc. is "81".

Used "81" once for a canyon road that my truck can't get up (bottoms out, drags bumper, lots of articulation). Just a nasty road.

That was a fun closed door meeting with the SM...

Recipient meets me at the bottom now.

bbsam

Staff member
We have a stop that everybody REFUSES to deliver. The guy cussed everybody out. SM said gotta do it. Contractor said absolutely not.

I'm tempted to take it out someday just to mess with the guy. Won't deliver it to him, but he can see that I have it.:)

Hate 150lb Packages

Integrity issues? Falsification? You're insane. I was told anything unaccessible is an 07. The SM told me this. I don't falsify anything. If they tell me to call it 07, I do so. I may be a Ground driver, but I'm no idiot. I'm finishing up my bachelors and this job is perfect for me for a few years. To imply I don't do my job is ludicrous. If you want to call a sheep a sheep, or dress a wolf up as a sheep and call it a sheep, it matters not to me. I deliver it, and I WAD and let the contractor/SM guide me in service crosses that aren't the typical 02/04/07... like not being able to fit down a road in a giant uhaul. I also communicate strictly via text on my phone. I have a record of everything, including them telling me how to code things. The management here is pretty laid back, and I'm sure they don't care too much as long as we do our best. My deliveries are done by the book, and my work is transparent for anyone to examine. I do things ethically. If the management or contractor want me to code things in a certain way to boost their numbers or whatever, I dont give a $##$. I work hard, and if I get in trouble for something silly, out come my texts and notes, and my attorney, yes I keep one on retainer for rental properties I own. Ground is full of massive problems. If you get all up in arms and call me a falsifier because I do what I'm told, then you need to open your eyes to the other things happening at Ground. I am the least of the problems at Ground. And my integrity is just fine.

bbsam

Staff member
Your SM is an idiot and if his MD gets wind of him spreading such misinformation, he will be an unemployed SM ASAP.

Nick9075

We'll leave it at that. To list even half of them would overload the server.

why do some people stay on for years (as drivers)?? I mean you can't really blame them given what they can be paid before contractor is operating at a total loss. And seriously being so cheap about letting them buy bottled water for a big $2.00 or so...

Hate 150lb Packages

I stay because it works for me for a few years. I enjoy the work and delivering things to residences especially. Its a means to an end and in no way do I see this as a career. I have developed close friendships with my co workers and I work for a decent contractor. I have plenty of misgivings and I despise the model Ground operates on, but I still encounter plenty of decent folk here. The pay blows, but in terms of entry level employment that I only plan on having for a few years, it beats the hell out of Walmart, labor work, etc. Anyone that wants to do this as a career with no ambitions of school, career advancement, etc., has my sympathy. I'm happy Ground is the way it is. It's given me the ability to cope with extreme situations and given me some real world experience. That's something I have yet to learn in 3 years of college. Many days at Ground are a huge pile of ****, but I like to turn them into learning experiences. I remember last peak, I stayed out till 1am on many nights with a flashlight, delivering with a guy who has become a very close friend. We bullsh$%%ed all night and had a blast. I haven't been able to do that since I was in an infantry unit in the military. Ground blows, but then again, so does digging ditches, bagging groceries, and doing manual labor.

STFXG

Good attitude. And I'm being serious. It's not a career. Put in a couple years, get your degree and get out. The one plus is that it looks good on a resume.

STFXG

Just how does one get a degree working 10 to 12 hours a day?

Night classes.
Not realistic at all. Maybe for a 20 something with no kids and living at home.For the average person with a family and responsibilities there's just not enough hours in the day.

It's realistic if someone is dedicated to getting a higher education. Weekend classes and online classes are also available. For those with family and kids its about prioritizing.

MAKAVELI

Just how does one get a degree working 10 to 12 hours a day?

Night classes.
Not realistic at all. Maybe for a 20 something with no kids and living at home.For the average person with a family and responsibilities there's just not enough hours in the day.

It's realistic if someone is dedicated to getting a higher education. Weekend classes and online classes are also available. For those with family and kids its about prioritizing.
Just stop with the BS and call it what it is a dead end job and that's it. The scheduling and workload is not conducive to getting a degree unless you are a career student.