I hate when res customers tell you to just put it by door

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Think about the question you are asking.
Which one of you are being senseless, in their act of laziness?
If the customer had not been home, you would have put it on the porch, as you are paid to do.
The customer pays for your service and is busy taking care of their home chores (unpaid) and you think they should drop what they are doing to help make your day less stressful?
So, to directly answer your question, the driver is being selfishly lazy.
Service is all we have as an advantage over our competition.

Our jobs at UPS is to get package from shipper to receiver. When I pull up to a house and the person is right there in the front yard. UPS has done its job. 90% of the time the receiver will take the package and thank me. Maybe offer some talk (hot enough for you?) or in rare cases a bottled water.
If the person stares at me confused or pretends i'm not even there, then that would get to me. Now I'm not saying the "guy" should drop his rake and run to me like I'm the ice cream man, just a little respect, if he makes me actually walk right past him to put the package next to the house. It doesn't happen often, but when it does :mad:

BigBrownSanta

In the past, I have had sups tell me I have a memory like an elephant. They have also told me that I am vindictive. When you put those two together, customers who ignore me when I deliver to them usually have to work a little harder to get their package.

At those type of deliveries, I usually will leave their package in a place that requires them to walk farther. For example, rather than set the package where they have to just open the storm door and pick it up, I place the package on the other side of the storm door so that they have to open the door, walk around the storm door, lift the mat, get their package, then replace the mat.

If they get a somewhat larger box, they may have to go through their garage or back door to get their package because the storm door will not open wide enough for them to get out.

But, if the porch doesn't have a place to hide the package, they will likely have to be home to get the package. That usually takes about 3 days.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Gosh, I never realized how much drivers resent driving down a lane to make deliveries.

Next time I'm expecting a pkg I'll wait by the side of the road all day so it can just be thrown out the door as they drive by.:dissapointed:
I love driving down a 2 lane. I know the rte I am on now very well. I know exactly what driveways I can drive down, I know what customers will come out and meet me when I honk. Most of my customers are decent, and the ones that aren't I know 'exactly where to put there pkgs'. LOL
Last Fri I had an NDA for Sonic. When I got to the counter an assistant mgr was waiting on a customer. I patiently waited. The asst mgr walked away, came back, and waited on another customer. I was hot. One of the counter girls came up and asked if I needed a sig. I said "NO, thats alright I will bring it back later, and left." Well it just so happens that the head mgr lives on my rte as well and I know where.:wink-very: This is why I love the rte I am on.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
an ounce of common courtesy wouldn't kill these people!!!! it isn't our job to put in the house with big stong husband sweeping his drive way, i would of put it down by his feet dr mcm end of story!!!! some people !!!!:angry:

Big Babooba

This one frosted my arse 14 years ago, but now it's good for a laugh. I lugged a Nordictrack up to the front door. Little old lady answers and said that she doesn't use that door. She asked me to bring it around back. I bring it out back and up on the porch. She asked me to bring it inside. I figured that I brought it that far so why not. I brought it into the kitchen and thought that was it. She said "Oh not here, follow me",which I did. I ended up putting the package next to the front door! She then said that she was going to make an exception and let me out the front door because of my effort. I laugh about it now, but I was sputtering all the way back to the truck.She was really a sweetheart and probably is no longer with us. God bless her.

UPS Lifer

Our jobs at UPS is to get package from shipper to receiver. When I pull up to a house and the person is right there in the front yard. UPS has done its job. 90% of the time the receiver will take the package and thank me. Maybe offer some talk (hot enough for you?) or in rare cases a bottled water.
If the person stares at me confused or pretends i'm not even there, then that would get to me. Now I'm not saying the "guy" should drop his rake and run to me like I'm the ice cream man, just a little respect, if he makes me actually walk right past him to put the package next to the house. It doesn't happen often, but when it does :mad:

It all boils down to a little common courtesy! Drivers work hard and they are doing it for me the customer. Why can't I show them that I appreciate their effort?

This goes for all service folks that come to my home, electricians, plumbers, Flower delivery, pizza delivery. Who ever and what ever the occupation, I extend to them courtesy, respect and hospitality. I may give them a bottle of ice cold water an "In & Out" gift certificate or cold hard cash as a tip for their service. My regulars get a nice Xmas Bonus. Why - because I would appreciate it if I were in their shoes. When I was a driver, I had a deep appreciation for those customers who showed me respect. I never forgot it.

I hope that I can always afford to be generous to all employees who offer me service!

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Of course it is our job to take the package to the porch, just as if no one was around. That's not really the point. The point is how little regard people show , not only UPS drivers, any service people. Just think of the circle of courtesy that could develop from one act of kindness.

These commercials have to be one of the BEST commercials of all times. Brings tears to my eyes sometimes to watch these. Too bad we cant all do this. World would be such a better place to live. As one poster had added on YouTube, " This is what God has in mind for us all". I could not agree more. I think we all have to be thankful that we are healthy and have a good job. Thank God there are people out there that do things like this. This probably includes the majority of the population, but sometimes "we" get into big of a hurry in our everyday life.

I can remember about 3 weeks ago, I was at a stop and was unloading my truck. I had a blind gentleman walk up next to the truck and asked if I could tell him where " ### address is?" I responded and told him if he wanted me to take him there I would. So, as I finished my stop. I took a small lunch break, and walked with him, 3 blocks down to his stop.

Thank God gave me great parents!

Liberty Mutual Ad (2nd edition): "The Part Where You Let Go"

disneyworld

I one of the things that bug the hell out of me; is when the customer is in front of their home, they see you and continue what they are doing. Then when they see you approach them they say oh its for me! just put by the door, when they are by the sidewalk or lawn:biting:. Is it just me being irrational or does anyone feel irritated by this senseless act of lazyness?
I thought this only happened to me-that pisses me off!!!!!!!!!

Big Babooba

These commercials have to be one of the BEST commercials of all times. Brings tears to my eyes sometimes to watch these. Too bad we cant all do this. World would be such a better place to live. As one poster had added on YouTube, " This is what God has in mind for us all". I could not agree more. I think we all have to be thankful that we are healthy and have a good job. Thank God there are people out there that do things like this. This probably includes the majority of the population, but sometimes "we" get into big of a hurry in our everyday life.

I can remember about 3 weeks ago, I was at a stop and was unloading my truck. I had a blind gentleman walk up next to the truck and asked if I could tell him where " ### address is?" I responded and told him if he wanted me to take him there I would. So, as I finished my stop. I took a small lunch break, and walked with him, 3 blocks down to his stop.

Thank God gave me great parents!

YouTube - Pay it forward - Liberty ad

YouTube - Liberty Mutual Ad (2nd edition): "The Part Where You Let Go"
It's too bad that Liberty Mutual treats you exactly the opposite when you file a workman's comp claim.

grami72

I read this thread, and I start to comprehend what is wrong with the company I worked 32 years for. It is not the customers job to carry the package to his door. It is the drivers. I read all the threads here who complain about managetment working, but when it comes to doing the actual work, if the customer doesn't do it for you, the customers the bad guy.
Take a good look at this thread. We are a SERVICE company. Hence the name, United Parcel Service. The customer does not have a duty to love you. Earn it.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I read this thread, and I start to comprehend what is wrong with the company I worked 32 years for. It is not the customers job to carry the package to his door. It is the drivers. I read all the threads here who complain about managetment working, but when it comes to doing the actual work, if the customer doesn't do it for you, the customers the bad guy.
Take a good look at this thread. We are a SERVICE company. Hence the name, United Parcel Service. The customer does not have a duty to love you. Earn it.

Well said grami72! I was thinking the same thing when I saw this.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I think you are misreading

This post is about how some people nowadays are not as polite as they could be.

No one is complaining about walking the package to a DR spot. Its that blank stare and inconsideration we get SOMETIMES when we brought that parcel from Point A to Point B
This is just life now in the brown truck, and this is a post to vent about the little things that we all see on a daily basis.

Reread my earlier post again.

bigbrownman

Brown on Brown

Atleast someone said it. Come on people!! thats why we get paid the big dollars!! What can brown do for you?!

rod

Retired 22 years
It's too bad that Liberty Mutual treats you exactly the opposite when you file a workman's comp claim.

I was lucky enough to only have to deal with them one time in 30 years. What you posted is very true- they do go out of their way to make your time on work comp pure hell

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I also agree that we are paid to take the package to the door but a little common courtesy is also nice. If the customer is in the yard or backing out of the drive and I am sure he has seen me and makes no move towards me, I generally just ignore them and walk straight to the DR spot. Or if they are busy doing something I just ask them if they would like me to set it on their porch. Sometimes they stop what they are doing to take the package, or just thank me for putting it on the porch.

bigbrownman

Brown on Brown
I don't trust any customers, they are nice to you one minute the next minute they are stabbing you in the back stating to you're managers that your delivering damaged packages, you're kicking their dog, you're "rude and arrogant" as one customer called me, or you're leaving wrinkled info notices on their door, or you're driving like a maniac through the subdivision and you took out some tree limbs, or you're throwing orange peels in their yard, or you left a size 13 foot print in their flower bed!!! I will DR every package according to methods, and if I customer asks me to relocate it I explain in the most polite way that I have already released the package to them and its their baby now, not mine. I do love customers though, they are our job security.

satellitedriver

Of course it is our job to take the package to the porch, just as if no one was around. That's not really the point. The point is how little regard people show , not only UPS drivers, any service people. Just think of the circle of courtesy that could develop from one act of kindness. The customer stops what he is doing and takes the package, the next stop the driver picks up the newspaper on the way to the customers door, that customer goes to the supermarket and holds the door for mother pushing a basket filled with groceries and kids, the Mom allows another car to go ahead of her into the traffic, the driver of that car slows down to let the UPS truck change lanes to make his exit off the freeway.
I agree about the "circle of courtesy". That is how I try and live my live ,daily.
This is also why I cannot understand the mindset of this post.
Then when they see you approach them they say oh its for me! just put by the door, when they are by the sidewalk or lawn:biting:. Is it just me being irrational or does anyone feel irritated by this senseless act of lazyness?
No one knows whats going on with the customers life, as they stand in their front yard.
Maybe, they are trying to enjoy their life, after a hard days work.
Maybe, they are control freaks.
Maybe, they are contemplating the loss of a loved one.
Maybe, they are "simpleminded".
Maybe, ad infinitum.
I try,as a driver, to be the first one to show courtesy and I can tell all of you that I get that courtesy back threefold from my customers.
If this is just a bitch thread, then I will stand down.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken

We are a SERVICE company- yes. But that doesn't mean customers have a right to treat us like DIRT or SECOND CLASS CITIZENS when we show up with their packages. We do them a SERVICE already when we show up to work and deal with the pushy management and over-dispatched loads and all the other "holier than thou" customers that we deal with everyday.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Gosh, I never realized how much drivers resent driving down a lane to make deliveries.

Next time I'm expecting a pkg I'll wait by the side of the road all day so it can just be thrown out the door as they drive by.:dissapointed:
Now there is a great idea!!!!
Actually it is a courtesy thing. I know when I am expecting a pkg, Im at the door of the truck when he pulls up if Im home. And if I am there I acknowledge the existence of another human being and dont give them the "now off with you" attitude.