I have a 2nd interview!

BrownNinjaz

What to expect? I really want to be prepared. I am happy that I got a call.
I wrote the recruiter an email saying that I really need this job.. that retail stores don't want to hire me because I don't have any experience at all.. that working for UPS is my only chance...that I get nervous at interviews... etc etc.

I got a call and she said that I have a 2nd interview. I need to dress proper. She even told me to relax! ^^

That means I may get hired? I chose Day. They are hiring for all shift at the moment.

helenofcalifornia

You should try and impress her that you can do the job. Be confident in your skills. Don't ask about when you will be driving, because it will be YEARS! Be eager, but not over eager. And is the day shift the one that you really want? It takes six months on one shift before you can transfer. Are you going to be getting a second job or going to school?

andrew99

Well, gauging by the people they hired on my shift, someone with such a sunny disposition matched with the ability to spell, should garner you the job.

Don't talk about injuries, don't talk about politics, don't talk about the junky stuff (people/things) you didn't like at your other jobs. Talk about how you want to have a job you can show up to everyday. Mention you strive for an honest days work for an honest days pay - that should ring true amongst the interviewers.

That said, once you get hired, don't reiterate that you NEED the job. Supervisors WILL take advantage of that, and put you in the jobs that have a revolving door of employees opting into a safer or better situation.

Always remember you are looking out for yourself. The union, the management, they'll be doing the same. If you feel any sign of injury, regardless of severity, document it. Document it with yourself, document it with your supervisors, let them know that you're serious about leaving the job in the same situation that you came in.

I wish you good luck, as someone who spent six years in packages and a year on road, this job isn't for everyone --- don't ever do anything you consider above your payscale or comfort zone. Doing work that you feel unsafe in is never a good idea, regardless of the pressure from supervisors and other dumb hourlies -- always leave work in the same condition which you arrived, and if you're not ---DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT!

Have fun, stay safe, and good luck.

BrownNinjaz

Thanks all!

To be honest, I like physical job better because the time goes by pretty fast and I love working out. I am going to tell her/him that I love physical job and I can handle any physical job without a problem.

BrownNinjaz

You should try and impress her that you can do the job. Be confident in your skills. Don't ask about when you will be driving, because it will be YEARS! Be eager, but not over eager. And is the day shift the one that you really want? It takes six months on one shift before you can transfer. Are you going to be getting a second job or going to school?

It takes six months to transfer? Cool! I want Sunrise or Day. I will go for Day because I won't have any ride at 3:40 AM. Plus I have classes in the evening from 6:00 PM to 8 PM. I start nursing program in November which I will get out at 10:00 PM
So I think Day is more convenient for me so I can rest more.

BrownNinjaz

Not good.. so I went to the interview and she said I will only be working from October to December because it gets very busy so they need a lot of people.
Is there a possibility to stay working for the company? What if I work very good... like one of the best worker... will they keep me?
She said they will give me a call in a few weeks, but I can call them anytime to see what's up.

I really wanted to stay working for UPS for a while.. yearsss.. if I get hired,..
>_>;;

tourists24

and be prepared to be called only here and there depending on how badly they need you. You are what they call a seasonal hire and while there is a chance you will eventually be hired, if you are looking to consistent work right now then I am not sure it would be what you are looking for

BrownNinjaz

Aw. OK. So if I get hired, I should wait a bit longer and then let them know that I would like to work for this company whenever there's a position open?
Like I want to stay working with the company. I am a very good worker, they will be impress how fast I am. I have a very fast pace, I will try not to get hurt. :P

BrownNinjaz

Weird! They called me again today for a 2nd interview tomorrow. You think they screw up or something?
I thought I had a 2nd interview .. now again. :|
I hope this is a good sign to get hired! :)

BrownNinjaz

Maybe she is giving you a "do-over".

I did that bad last time? :/

Yes, I really want to work for UPS. The hours are convenient! I need money to keep eating healthy and I need to fix my road bicycle, pay what I owe.. I don't want bad credits. I owe money to some company. :|

I hope they don't get rid of me after December.

BrownNinjaz

I got hired, he he... The guy who interviewed me , was the biggest boss there. He was impressed when I answered all his question. He told me that I e-mailed a woman many times , so he was like " That shows that you really want to work here"
I told him I will be one of the best worker out there! How many hours should I expect a week? 20?

And how the benefits work? Unfortunately, I am not a full-time college ( but almost )

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I did that bad last time? :/

Yes, I really want to work for UPS. The hours are convenient! I need money to keep eating healthy and I need to fix my road bicycle, pay what I owe.. I don't want bad credits. I owe money to some company. :|

I hope they don't get rid of me after December.
The company has hired many people since you originally wanted a job. I honestly doubt there was that long of a back-list. So keep in mind that being hired Oct 1st or after ( a seasonal hire as it's called here ) , does highly likely 98% infact means that you are on a very short leash.

Also remember, that working to the point where you hurt yourself or others is not a good idea (your best reasonable effort may be way too fast for the next guy).

Good luck to you , work smarter not harder!

and P.S. to any smartazz who's going to reply "Hey well it might be different in his/her region" , save it. lol

Nimnim

The Nim
There's a chance you may be seasonal, it's pretty close. Do a good job though and you've got a good chance they'll bring you back after the season and start you on the path to getting seniority and benefits.

Also you're guaranteed only 17.5 hours a week, but depending on the volume and what area you end up in it wouldn't be hard to get 20+ a week.