I have a question about overtime and double time.

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
Okay so I worked Sunday 11/24 and I'm scheduled to work through Wednesday and I am payed 4 hours holiday pay for Thanksgiving Day and black Friday. Is black Friday going to be payed overtime since it would be my 6th work day of the week? I know I'm not actually working on it but would the 4 hours of Holiday pay be overtime? And I'm working Saturday so would that be double time? Thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Okay so I worked Sunday 11/24 and I'm scheduled to work through Wednesday and I am payed 4 hours holiday pay for Thanksgiving Day and black Friday. Is black Friday going to be payed overtime since it would be my 6th work day of the week? I know I'm not actually working on it but would the 4 hours of Holiday pay be overtime? And I'm working Saturday so would that be double time? Thanks.

The holiday would be paid at straight time and does not count toward your weekly total of hours worked. Saturday would be your 6th report so it should be time and a half.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you sure? Saturday would be the 5th work day of the week, so I think it would be straight time.

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday-----straight time. Thursday---holiday----straight time----does not count toward hours worked. Saturday---6th report----should be time and a half.

The only caveat would be whether the pay period starts on Saturday or Sunday. If it starts on Saturday you would be right----if it starts on Sunday I would be right.

upschuck

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday-----straight time. Thursday---holiday----straight time----does not count toward hours worked. Saturday---6th report----should be time and a half.

The only caveat would be whether the pay period starts on Saturday or Sunday. If it starts on Saturday you would be right----if it starts on Sunday I would be right.

I took that he was not working on Friday.

Stonefish

Saturday is not your 6th report. It's days worked and if he/she does not work on Thursday or Friday that changes things. Also I would look in the Supplement to see what how the language reads as far as time and one half or double time. Our language in the Central may be different than other regions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Saturday is not your 6th report. It's days worked and if he/she does not work on Thursday or Friday that changes things. Also I would look in the Supplement to see what how the language reads as far as time and one half or double time. Our language in the Central may be different than other regions.

He said that he was working Friday hence the 6th report for Saturday.

upschuck

If he is working Fri, Sat is time and a half. If he is not working Fri, Sat is straight time. Can we all agree on that?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
For reasons of the rate for Saturday, it's a 6th report, and is paid as OT for such. In terms of right to work, its not considered a 6th report. The 6th report comes into play if you have not yet worked 5 days, (Thursday being a paid holiday and as such you haven't "worked" your full 5 days).

Seniority goes highest to lowest in these examples, A being highest

Employee A works every day, Thursday off, and wants to work Saturday
Employee B works Mon,Tues, Friday, and wants to work Sat

Employee B has rights to work on Sat before employee A

Example 2
Employee A and B both work Mon,Tues,Wend, Thursday off (holiday) Fri and both want to work Sat

Employee A has rights to work before B

upsman68

I remember I got time and half when I worked the Saturday after Labor Day. I was paid a holiday on Monday then worked Tuesday through Friday. Saturday was considered a 6 punch therefore I was paid time and a half

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sunday is your 6th punch, unless is it is not a regularly scheduled day.
I.E. if you are T-S, sunday before is time and a half

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
If it's a special Saturday sort, then you'll get time and a half. If it's for Saturday Air, then article 40 applies and he'll get straight air pay.

QKRSTKR

Thursday and Friday are paid holidays and do not count toward reports for the week, unless you actually work on either or both of those days. I think your sup may have misspoken.
They actually do at least in central states. Holidays count as days worked. I volunteered for Saturday and will be paid time and a half for all hours worked. 6th day. Here Saturday is also the end of the week /pay period. If you worked sun. Thru sat. Saturday would be double time for 7th day worked.

If you work day after thanksgiving its double time for working on a holiday. Plus holiday pay.

So I think his supervisor is right. If its his 7th day he will get double time.

Last edited: