I have a question on proper procedure for wine delivery

UPS Lifer

Here is the scenario - My next door neighbor had some wine shipped which required an adult signature upon delivery. An emergency came up and they asked me what to do. I told them to put a note on the door and tell the driver to bring it to me for a signature.

A utility driver had the route and told me that he could not indirect the wine to me ??

I have never had a problem with this in the past? Has anything changed or was I dealing with a driver who was confused about the process?

I want to know the proper procedure so I can make sure a delivery is secured in the future.

Fortunately, I had the key to their residence and was able to secure the delivery by opening the front door to my neighbor's residence.

I tried looking this up in other threads but could not find a direct answer.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
whoever let you sign form the wine failed to follow proper procedure . Proper procedure states there are NO indirects , no left at, and no drs for booze a id must be checked to verify age at time of delivery

As long it was delivered to the adress on the package, signed for and put in the house and locked it should not be a problem. You just can not do a left at.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As long it was delivered to the adress on the package, signed for and put in the house and locked it should not be a problem. You just can not do a left at.

Lifer asked for the proper procedure for wine deliveries and unfortunately that is not it.

Now, I would be a liar if I said that I never did what you described. The wine was delivered, signed for and put in the house. No left at or indirect which would/could raise flags.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Just what I like, get to house and note says leave at neighbors, hummmmmm sorry will be back tomorrow. You will get your boooooozzzzzzeeeeee the next day.

over9five

Staff member
Massachusetts is one of a few states that does not allow alcohol delivery. If we have a box of wine or beer, we cannot deliver it and must enter it as "non-delivery. Security".

Our clerk will call the customer and try to address correct to a friend in NH.

bigbrownhen

As far as I know, you can't leave it "at" the neighbors. Now if the neighbor is at the address, actually in the house, not just standing on the porch, then yea, I would let them sign for it. Common sense applies here. In no way can it be left anywhere other than the address on package.

brown bomber

brown bomber
there's a winery in Ohio, that I order from.....it indicates to me that the order would require an adult SIG. however it's shipped as an 03 pkg.........what's up w/ that

brownman15

Here is the scenario - My next door neighbor had some wine shipped which required an adult signature upon delivery. An emergency came up and they asked me what to do. I told them to put a note on the door and tell the driver to bring it to me for a signature.

A utility driver had the route and told me that he could not indirect the wine to me ??

I have never had a problem with this in the past? Has anything changed or was I dealing with a driver who was confused about the process?

I want to know the proper procedure so I can make sure a delivery is secured in the future.

Fortunately, I had the key to their residence and was able to secure the delivery by opening the front door to my neighbor's residence.

I tried looking this up in other threads but could not find a direct answer.

adult signature packages cannot be indirected. need an adult signature at the address on the package

JonFrum

Massachusetts is one of a few states that does not allow alcohol delivery. If we have a box of wine or beer, we cannot deliver it and must enter it as "non-delivery. Security".

Our clerk will call the customer and try to address correct to a friend in NH.
Is this official UPS policy here in Massachusetts, or just the clerk trying to be helpful?

I think the Massachusetts authorities would probably regard such re-routing of wine as a crime of some sort. Rightly or wrongly, Massachusetts has a law, and this re-routing is designed to circumvent that law.

Is there an issue of Massachusetts tax not being collected as well?

over9five

Staff member
Is this official UPS policy here in Massachusetts, or just the clerk trying to be helpful?

I think the Massachusetts authorities would probably regard such re-routing of wine as a crime of some sort. Rightly or wrongly, Massachusetts has a law, and this re-routing is designed to circumvent that law.

Is there an issue of Massachusetts tax not being collected as well?

Hmmm, I have no idea of the legality of forwarding to NH. As they say, "Everything's illegal in Massachusetts".

there's a winery in Ohio, that I order from.....it indicates to me that the order would require an adult SIG. however it's shipped as an 03 pkg.........what's up w/ that
That is the shipper trying to save a few bucks on shipping cost, it is probably illegal and if they are caught doing so could lose the privilege of shipping to any location. UPS has the responsibility to stop this shipper from doing this and probably can be fined for letting known alcohol be delivered without proper restrictions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As Trp said, they are trying to save money. Have you brought this to the attention of your center team and/or BD?

The problem arises when a driver DR's a package that he knows contains wine. He should go in to the DIAD and change the service level to adult signature required so that the company can be billed accordingly.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

That is the shipper trying to save a few bucks on shipping cost, it is probably illegal and if they are caught doing so could lose the privilege of shipping to any location. UPS has the responsibility to stop this shipper from doing this and probably can be fined for letting known alcohol be delivered without proper restrictions.
Exactly.
Also there are those little holes for the speaker, and I tell people to blow in it for a breathalyzer, because it also says do not deliver to intoxicated persons. Its usually good for a laugh, and some people actually begin to do it. Get your mouth of my board................

UPS Lifer

Well, I learned some interesting points and I didn't know Mass. does not allow alcohol deliveries. I will bet that there are a lot of concealed bottles being delivered especially around the holidays.