I have a question.

Jim Kemp

Today, just like most Mondays, The mgt. decided to break down a route at the last minute. They spread it out between five drivers. I talked to all of them and they all started del. the splits after 6pm and they all got back to bldg. after 8pm.
So as I see it the whole route was del. on overtime. It took at least 10 overtime to del. the route.
Would it not be cheaper to have a driver del. it on straight.
I just don't understand it.

leastbest

LeastBest
No, they didn't have to pay for a truck on the road or a driver with benefits on the road. But more important, it looked good on a form somewhere.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
But five drivers drove their pkg cars an extra 2 hrs each and if the driver works tomorrow the bennies get paid. I don't understand it either. I drove a rte today that useually has 110 and 120 miles and today did 130 and 160 miles, punches out after 2030?????????? Hummmmmmm, makes you wonder..

SWORDFISH

No, they didn't have to pay for a truck on the road or a driver with benefits on the road. But more important, it looked good on a form somewhere.

+1 and if they cut a driver enough days that driver will no longer have health benefits. All that adds up to much more than the extra $15 an hour they pay out per driver. Remember you earn no benefits on your over time. Our botton 5 drivers may not have any health benys all year.

Jim Kemp

I have been told that our benifit pkg cost UPS $8.80 per hour, thats less than $15 per hour extra that we get. And the old "Thats another truck off the road" dosen't work either. Several of the driver had to drive more than 25 miles to get to the route. The were not even in the same city as the extra work.

klein

Für Meno :)
This is what I been told (take my opinion or leave it).

But , every morning a certain amount of packages arrive (from trailers, planes), that go ofcourse onto package cars.
If a certain average , (packages per car isn't met), then a route gets cut.

(total volume devided by package cars.. it has to meet a certain minimum number for all of them to go out).

Simple as that.

JonFrum

Benefits differ from one Supplement to another. In New England it's $6.56 per hour toward pension, and $7.86 for H&W. That's a total of $14.42 per hour for all paid hours, (including overtime) up to 40 hours a week max. So a driver working 9.5 Monday thru Friday, would cost UPS an extra $577 in benefits for the week, but the extra charge would stop about mid-morning Friday.

It's best not to try to apply logic and sound business principles to UPS practices. It may make your head explode. :knockedout:

SWORDFISH

I have been told that our benifit pkg cost UPS $8.80 per hour, thats less than $15 per hour extra that we get. And the old "Thats another truck off the road" dosen't work either. Several of the driver had to drive more than 25 miles to get to the route. The were not even in the same city as the extra work.

Benefits differ from one Supplement to another. In New England it's $6.56 per hour toward pension, and $7.86 for H&W. That's a total of $14.42 per hour for all paid hours, (including overtime) up to 40 hours a week max. So a driver working 9.5 Monday thru Friday, would cost UPS an extra $577 in benefits for the week, but the extra charge would stop about mid-morning Friday.

It's best not to try to apply logic and sound business principles to UPS practices. It may make your head explode. :knockedout:

Jons last statement is the best to follow but if your trying to crunch #s your missing some. Jon is close on his #s and it does vary by area as he said for instance the #s for my area are a bit higher than that which on there own equal out to over $15/hr but then you also have to add the extra vehicles that are not on the road along w/ the gas they consume. Im sure there are other things Im missing but those things equal over $15 in my area.

satellitedriver

I just have to leave it to the brains that have increased my miles by 30% and increased my OT to 3hrs "per diam" and have to send a part timer out to take work off of me.
One cost cutting measure-(supposedly)- being done, so the rumor goes-(that's CYA talk)- the part-timer delivery numbers are added to mine, or other drivers.
-(this is just hypothetical)-
Any corporate monitor is free to contact me for further details.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
On a side note, what about the pickups from the busted route that are no longer made in the pick-up time window? When it's up to the driver, it matters. When it's up to the Supe, pick em up when you can.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It boils down to two numbers; Stops Per Car (SPC) and Stops Per On Road Hour (SPORH).

By eliminating a route, both numbers increase and the center looks better on paper.

SPORH increases because you have one less vehicle driving to-from the delivery area, which is non productive time.

Now anyone with common sense knows that by eliminating a route and improving these metrics, you often create other problems and negatively impact other metrics; but as long as SPC and SPORH are the current flavor of the week those other problems and metrics will be overlooked.

Logic, common sense and good business decisions are seldom a factor in the UPS decision-making process because they dont usually translate well into a metric.

jimstud

Banned

no benefits paid durning overtime.

Leftinbuilding

I was told that "road use taxes" are not paid on cars that stay parked. In marginal situations, they are not going to run another car.

SWORDFISH

no benefits paid durning overtime.

Not true Jim. Bennys are paid by supplement to a maximum hours worked and then no longer paid for at that point. Last year I would not have made my 2080 hours due to missing 2 months of work but made it up very easily in overtime.:peaceful:

browniehound

I was told that "road use taxes" are not paid on cars that stay parked. In marginal situations, they are not going to run another car.

This is true, but "road use taxes" are paid on the other vehicles because that area has to be covered one way or another. It actually hurts more because you now have 6 drivers scrambling during their pick-ups at the end of the day to cover for the busted route.

It might look good in theory, but in reality, you still have to pay for the parcels to get delivered on that street if its one driver or 6. It just causes too many problems when they cut 1 route too many. Why not leave it in and let 6 drivers work 8.2 hours instead of 5 working 11.2?

At best the save the to and from miles and thats about it....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys will love this one. I was running off my NDA and had a resi at the end of a side street. As I pull on to the street I see a package car heading toward me. This street had been cut from my area and the driver had just finished delivering all of the ground. Can you say tightest ship?

(To be fair, I am sure the PDS thought he would be delivering this street in the afternoon, which he probably should have.)

tranham

They add splits to my route 2 zips away. Which is nice when I get a on call air late in the afternoon. "Sorry no, I'm 35 miles out of my area. But I am turning off the engine every chance I get to cut down on idle time"

Robert

fxdwg

Long Time Member
They add splits to my route 2 zips away. Which is nice when I get a on call air late in the afternoon. "Sorry no, I'm 35 miles out of my area. But I am turning off the engine every chance I get to cut down on idle time"

Robert

As a person on the sidelines....It seemed liked you were in management. Wasn't that the original argument? I have probablt missed some crucial detail, but are you a Driver or a Manager?

UPSGUY72

Today, just like most Mondays, The mgt. decided to break down a route at the last minute. They spread it out between five drivers. I talked to all of them and they all started del. the splits after 6pm and they all got back to bldg. after 8pm.
So as I see it the whole route was del. on overtime. It took at least 10 overtime to del. the route.
Would it not be cheaper to have a driver del. it on straight.
I just don't understand it.

There are alot of things that your sup and there bosses due each day that don't make any sense. This can be explained easily IT'S ALL A NUMBERS GAME THEY ARE SAVING MONEY. UPS doesn't contribut to your benifits when you work over (40) forty hours add with the fact that they aren't paying for the full 40 hrs worth of benifits for the driver that didn't work forty hrs that week more than makes up for the overtime that had to be paid becasue of the cut routes.