I have just been told I am transitioning to permanent hire.

browner89

Sorters are supposed to be paid skilled according to the contract, no?

It depends if they need to know the sort or have the fancy system that lights up where to place the package.

My center is dated so all of our sorters are "skilled", but I know many others in my area are not as dated and at least the small sorters have been "de-skilled" as they no longer need to know the entire countries zip codes.

specter208

Was told I am on a list of people who will receive union PT jobs after peak. Would I keep my current employee ID# if I am kept. Helper season ended officially at my center today.

specter208

Any idea when you will start working and which sort you will be on?
I have no idea when I start, but I will ask when I pickup my last paycheck. If I had to guess which sort, probably preload. My two previous attempts at being hired, I was told preload is where most help was needed at the time.

PT Car Washer

I have no idea when I start, but I will ask when I pickup my last paycheck. If I had to guess which sort, probably preload. My two previous attempts at being hired, I was told preload is where most help was needed at the time.
Preload is where we need the most help also. May be sooner then you think for going to work. I have already seen several tours go through my building the past two weeks on the twi sort. As far as I can tell twi kept all the December hires, except for maybe a few real losers.

specter208

Preload is where we need the most help also. May be sooner then you think for going to work. I have already seen several tours go through my building the past two weeks on the twi sort. As far as I can tell twi kept all the December hires, except for maybe a few real losers.
I hope it is soon. I have 2 good veteran drivers backing me up. I'm ready and want to work.

PT Car Washer

I hope it is soon. I have 2 good veteran drivers backing me up. I'm ready and want to work.
Good attitude. I am sure you will work. Biggest problem for most new hires is the young PT management. Most have only been doing the job for a few weeks or months longer then you. Just try and do the job as close to what they tell you to. A lot of times it will not make much sense but remember they don't really know what they are doing. Once you get your 30 days in and join the Union you can do the job the way it should be done.

browner89

It's so funny reading about the 0% chance of getting hired after peak on these forums, I think a lot of the posters here believe they know a lot more than they really do about how desperate UPS is for workers.

Theres a reason we had to hire a LOT more workers this peak than last, because we need the help, and it's not just about peak. We're underemployed for what we're expected to do.

It makes no sense to pay someone who has been here 15 years to work several extra hours when they can cut that person loose very early and have someone here 2 weeks pick up the slack for half as much money.

My center hired a grand total of 0 seasonal employees leading up to and during peak. They were all permanent hires from day 1.

PT Car Washer

It's so funny reading about the 0% chance of getting hired after peak on these forums, I think a lot of the posters here believe they know a lot more than they really do about how desperate UPS is for workers.

Theres a reason we had to hire a LOT more workers this peak than last, because we need the help, and it's not just about peak. We're underemployed for what we're expected to do.

It makes no sense to pay someone who has been here 15 years to work several extra hours when they can cut that person loose very early and have someone here 2 weeks pick up the slack for half as much money.

My center hired a grand total of 0 seasonal employees leading up to and during peak. They were all permanent hires from day 1.
That is what HR told all of our new hires including the ones hired in December that they were permanent PT. Some have left but a lot are still working.

HardknocksUPSer

That is what HR told all of our new hires including the ones hired in December that they were permanent PT. Some have left but a lot are still working.
My center has 4 of us currently working preload who were hired as seasonals, we were laid off for a week and rehired, 3 of us signed papers and filled out applications and were told to come to work, 1 of the other guys was told he was working until the 15th and didn't get to sign the rehire application, considering that temp drivers last day is the 16th, does UPS normally let their rehires get their 30 days (qualifiying) in before they decide if they are going to keep you or will they get rid of you before the 30 days (assuming I or one of the other guys wasn't doing well or ect)? Seems like getting your foot Into the door at the center I'm at is like a freaking holy grail right of passage type deal compared to what ive heard about other centers or hubs that hand out jobs like peices of candy to homeless people or felones lol

oldngray

nowhere special
jack_sparrow_wut.jpg

PT Car Washer

My center has 4 of us currently working preload who were hired as seasonals, we were laid off for a week and rehired, 3 of us signed papers and filled out applications and were told to come to work, 1 of the other guys was told he was working until the 15th and didn't get to sign the rehire application, considering that temp drivers last day is the 16th, does UPS normally let their rehires get their 30 days (qualifiying) in before they decide if they are going to keep you or will they get rid of you before the 30 days (assuming I or one of the other guys wasn't doing well or ect)? Seems like getting your foot Into the door at the center I'm at is like a freaking holy grail right of passage type deal compared to what ive heard about other centers or hubs that hand out jobs like peices of candy to homeless people or felones lol
If UPS is going through all the expense of rehiring you permanent the choice is your if you want to stay or not. Your manager and sups already know who will make it and won't bother with the rest.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Cut seniority people early? Maybe...if we want to leave early. But management cannot send us home before someone who's been here 2 weeks.

browner89

Cut seniority people early? Maybe...if we want to leave early. But management cannot send us home before someone who's been here 2 weeks.

That's what I mean when I said "cut loose", meant ask them if they wanna leave. The oldest always want to leave first in my center.

My point was that it makes no sense to kick the youngest guys out before you ask the oldest to leave willingly. Around here the younger guys are always begging for more hours and usually get them because everyone else can't wait to get out (most of our high seniority people are only here for the benefits so their hours mean jack sh-t to them).

Many of the newest employees make literally half of the oldest PT employees who are more than willing to leave.