I have not forgot

Ghostwriter

Well, hello my fedex brothers and sisters. I have been doing well on my new job. I really do love being treated as a responsible adult. Please do not misunderstand my sentiment, I am not rubbing anything in- I just want to let all of you know that I have not and will not forget those still in the trenches. Please be safe this upcoming peak. I wish nothing but the best for all of you and my peeps at my former station (TYRA). I would also like to say hello to MrFedex, vantexan, and anyone else who has poured their soul out on to this forum. Last but not least- I would like to say thanks to the browncafe people for giving us a place to talk, council, inform, and support each other....Have a good Thanksgiving, Have a Merry Christmas, and please be safe....

Ghostwriter.

Ghostwriter

Yes, it does exist. Never stop looking. Never stop trying to move yourself to a higher place. Granted, that all good things take time. I put my time in and the worm turned for me. Finally.
P.S. I like the pic of (presumed) your dog. I, too own a black lab.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Barney. I have his brother, Baxter. Thank you. The Great Dane above in my avatar, is another one. Brody.

Thank you for the hope. I am happy for you, Ghostwriter.

HomeDelivery

Thanks for the sentiment!

I guess it's based on the managers at your local hub; I'm blessed with some awesome guys and gals at the 2 terminals I've worked for in the past 6 years...

I somehow became a Temp/ new-hire trainer eventhough I didn't ask for the extra job description; it seems the managers like how I am doing with my methods...

why doesn't UPS admit that the 5 Seeing Habits are really from the Smith System? I tell the new hires that didn't take any course to look up those 5 Good Driving Habits online... that wacky S.A.friend.E. system Fedex had recently adopted are a cheap imitation of this original safety course.

As a temp, if they get into an accident, it's automatic termination! so I told 'em to be safe at all times; stops per road hour will come afterwards when you do get hired by a subcontractor after PEAK...

With this economy, I emphasize on driver releasing EVERY package "out of sight" (from the curb/street view) and "out of weather" & if it's a high-dollar/ high claim item, better be safer to acquire a signature if they're home to reduce any claims... ie, if a huge flatscreen TV is being delivered without a signature, I told them to knock and get one anyways!

I'll show them some tricks of the scanner as well <shrugs> stuff that the managers didn't point out on orientation for these new hires

"don't be a :censored2: and leave your door tags blank!" since they're paid by the hour, I say to mark them if you're releasing more than one parcel, or leaving it at the back/side door/ garage...

avoid indirect releases. in this economy, some will be shady & will not admit to signing for their neighbor's parcels... a few exceptions, like having a note on the door saying it's ok for the neighbor to hold it
(I feel like asking for teacher's pay, but i'm pushing my luck) :peaceful:

anything else i've missed, please reply so I'll pass it on!

vantexan

Hey Ghostwriter! Great to hear from you! Don't know if you heard, but Albert got terminated. Left his keys in the ignition while he ran in to make a delivery. Corporate security happened to come by and checked his truck. Hopefully he'll be reinstated. There was a courier out in AZ who left her truck running while she made a del. It kicked into gear and struck a bunch of vehicles in a parking lot. She was so upset that senior took pity on her. If they can make an exception for something worse then they should for Albert. A truly good fellow who works hard.

Happy Thanksgiving amigo! And you can always temp over here for Peak, LOL!! No, seriously, we're shorthanded!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, hello my fedex brothers and sisters. I have been doing well on my new job. I really do love being treated as a responsible adult. Please do not misunderstand my sentiment, I am not rubbing anything in- I just want to let all of you know that I have not and will not forget those still in the trenches. Please be safe this upcoming peak. I wish nothing but the best for all of you and my peeps at my former station (TYRA). I would also like to say hello to MrFedex, vantexan, and anyone else who has poured their soul out on to this forum. Last but not least- I would like to say thanks to the browncafe people for giving us a place to talk, council, inform, and support each other....Have a good Thanksgiving, Have a Merry Christmas, and please be safe....

Ghostwriter.

It's great to see an escapee from Devil's Island doing well. It's hard in this economy, but those who find a way out really seem to be a lot happier. I totally understand your comment on being "treated like an adult", and it must be nice to not be monitored like a Guantonimo detainee. I'm almost there too, and I know things will be a lot better when I'm out.

Keep posting when you can, and remind us that not every employer acts like Fedex. Best of luck in your new career.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Ghost,
What type of work are in in now?
I'm going to be looking for a class B delivery truck driving job once I leave.

Ghostwriter

Thank you to all who replied. To Vantexan, I hate to hear that Albert was terminated. Its always has seemed to me that great workers always get thrown under the bus first, then questions are asked last. This observation is my opinion, and is not directed to a particular person/ or corporate entity. Like "the good die young" phrase rings through my mind. I loved working with Albert, he is a great worker. Heck, I remember the first peak they hired him. They just gave him a HUGE rental truck and a map of Longview. He hit the ground running- working at a far station from his local assigned station. Albert always went above and beyond like I am sure all of you do, EVERYDAY. I mean this truly, my heart will always be heavy for great men and women who break their back everyday only to receive the short end of the stick. Please Van, keep me posted about Albert.
Mr.7 I accepted a job as a field probation officer. I love my job. It really is my true nature to help people. With that stated, I feel like I make some sort of difference in this cruel cold world. I wish you all the luck in the clover patch.
To all the rest of you- Be safe first, CYA, understand that it is just a job, it is not the end all be all. I know money is tight for most of everyone, yet spend quality time with your loved ones (when you can)- by doing this- You will have something priceless.

Ghostwriter.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

UPS doesn't call it "The Smith Driving System" because technically, it's not. UPS purchased the rights from whomever developed the system to use the program but adapt it to their needs.

HomeDelivery

yes it is... same exact thing, word-for-word (google it and you'll see the five seeing habits = smith system's five keys of driving safely)

Any company that wants to use it will pay them for the copyrights to that information.

But, Fred S cut corners and stopped paying that company for their copyrighted material and started using S.A.friend.E. method instead

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I was trained under the Smith's driving system prior to joining UPS. I do not need to google it. I learned "All Good Kids Like Milk" when i learned the system at my first company. When I was in my driver's training I noticed how similar the Five Seeing Habits were to the Smith's points and asked him why it wasn't referred to as the Smith's Driving Course. He gave me the answer i gave you. Over the years I've noticed a couple minute differences. For example, according to Smith's system one's "eye lead time" should be 15 seconds; UPS uses 8-12 seconds. Also, the points UPS has added, like what each habit will do for you and how you do it were not part of the program when I was taught it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS doesn't call it "The Smith Driving System" because technically, it's not. UPS purchased the rights from whomever developed the system to use the program but adapt it to their needs.

On the humorous side, a couple of whiz-bang UPSers decided to market the UPS 5 Seeing Habits (aka The Smith System) until it was pointed out that we couldn't do that since we only purchased the rights to use within UPS.