I knew it was only a matter of time.

bbsam

Staff member
Been my experience that FedEx prefers to lease real estate rather than own it. Are you sure FedEx got a tax break or is it they're paying alot less rent due to the location?

Been my experience that FedEx prefers to lease real estate rather than own it. Are you sure FedEx got a tax break or is it they're paying alot less rent due to the location?
They are leasing. But taxes factor into rent, don't ya think?

vantexan

They are leasing. But taxes factor into rent, don't ya think?
But it would be the landlord who got a tax break, if he did at all. I'm just not buying the idea that every corporation that chooses to open a store or restaurant or warehouse or whatever is getting freebies from the local government. A company that's bringing in hundreds of solid jobs, sure. Those kind of deals aren't that common though and get alot of competition from municipalities when they occur. I bet those city planners can show many ways such a deal benefits a community but you'd never know it listening to the corporate haters.

bbsam

Staff member
Take a look around your local SuperWalMart. You always find the same stores and restaurants popping up next to them. Applebees, Gamestop, etc. While location is one thing, I can't help but think tax breaks play a big part for them as well. Around here, it doesn't matter what city a business builds in, the employees come from the basically the same community. So new business is wooed and bought by politicians granting ridiculous incentives and deals that never seem to do anything but possibly break even.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ohio schools were supposed to get lottery money (used as a reason to get lottery voted in) but in reality that money just goes into general fund and only a small portion of it gets to schools indirectly.