I know the magic number!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center has been hit with a large number of warning letters for back first exceptions.

Most of us have shown that we did indeed proceed in a forward motion but UPS claims that we did not.
The magic number of feet to proceed in a forward direction before a warning letter is issued is now 500 feet per the Division Manager of our area.

This is bullcrap!

It has always been 500'.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't worry about avoiding back firsts but i heard one trick is to leave a stop and back like you normally would and then stop just shy of the next delivery point, shut the truck off, start it again, move forward a bit, then stop and make the delivery. Starting the truck again and turning it off apparently resets the timing and won't count the last back. Supposedly because no stop was completed after backing first.

You would have to sit for at least 5 seconds in order for this to work but, yes, this does work.

kingOFchester

Also, if they gave me a warning letter for a back first, I would be sure the next time I am in a situation where a truck pulled up in front of me or whatever, I would send a message to center "truck just blocked me after making delivery, must back or wait, please advise".

Most of the office people are afraid to go on record with any instructions so I fathom I would waiting a long time for a response. CHA CHING$$

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Also, if they gave me a warning letter for a back first, I would be sure the next time I am in a situation where a truck pulled up in front of me or whatever, I would send a message to center "truck just blocked me after making delivery, must back or wait, please advise".

Most of the office people are afraid to go on record with any instructions so I fathom I would waiting a long time for a response.

If I run in to this during the day I send a message letting them know that I will have a BFE at this address due to being blocked in by another delivery vehicle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you think taking the time to call someone, just to tell them that you are about to back the truck, is efficient.

I don't call anybody.

If I am properly parked at a delivery stop and some idiot decides to block me in I send an ODS advising the center that I will have a BFE at this address for this reason. Takes all of 5 seconds.

Each of the routes in my center has a BFE and total backs goal. I am generally under both of those numbers at the end of the day.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Oh I almost miss the days of Training by Discipline. It was like Christmas in July withe the same warm feeling when those certified letters would come letting me know that I was loved.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Many people are confused about what a back first exception actually is. It's called a back "first" to signify that a driver backed before completing the next stop. Not to signify that we got in the truck and went straight to reverse.

If this explanation were true. Then it will show that you stop complete at the wrong location. All tracked by GPS, you know.
In my mind, a back first is delivery, stop complete and then backing. If you must back at a delivery location then position your truck first, delivery, then stop complete.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I can't figure out how I can pull up telematics and see the exact point where a guy scanned the package and the exact point where he stop completed it, but we can't build the computers smart enough to figure out crap like this.
Or management smart enough to question things like this.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
File a grievance, can't be disiplined w technology, have to see u in person backing first. It's in the contract.

Yep.

You may want to read it a bit more closely. You cannot be discharged based solely on technology.

I understand your thought.... But, it's a literal interpretation.

Just as a little background on the subject;

At the joint Union and company contract review, KH explained that the "purpose and

intent" of that language was to "deter" drivers from going off area for personal business.

(How many drivers, have not done that ?) ;)

I still have my personal hand written notes from the meeting.

How does the company, word warning letters in your area ?

Here.... the verbiage always states;

"Failure to correct this problem, will lead to more serious discipline. Up to, and

including discharge."

A warning letter is just that. A warning.

But it's the first step of the disciplinary procedure.

So, without direct observation.... the point is moot.

-Bug-