I know the magic number!

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I don't call anybody.

If I am properly parked at a delivery stop and some idiot decides to block me in I send an ODS advising the center that I will have a BFE at this address for this reason. Takes all of 5 seconds.

Each of the routes in my center has a BFE and total backs goal. I am generally under both of those numbers at the end of the day.

If you are doing this just to prevent 1 ding on a report, they have you right where they want you.

You have become a ups puppet.

Future

Victory Ride
I'm not allowed to post on my lunch?
image.gif

Overpaid Union Thug

If this explanation were true. Then it will show that you stop complete at the wrong location. All tracked by GPS, you know.
In my mind, a back first is delivery, stop complete and then backing. If you must back at a delivery location then position your truck first, delivery, then stop complete.
How would that show the wrong address? You'd be parked at the correct address.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are doing this just to prevent 1 ding on a report, they have you right where they want you.

You have become a ups puppet.

I would much rather explain myself today than have to do it the following morning.

I do the same if there are issues with the package car that may affect my Telematics numbers. For example, if the bulkhead door comes off the track and I am unable to close it, I will send them a message alerting them of the situation and letting them know that my bulkhead door open numbers will be through the roof.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I wonder if centers can change that magic number based of the characteristics of an area. Or even as a way to make their BFE numbers look better on a report.
Maybe, but I would assume it's hard-coded into the software. There are streets on a route I used to run where I would have a daily resi delivery then drive 250 feet, back up into the last driveway then reverse direction due to the size of the truck and the grade of the driveways on the street. I always came up as 0 BFE on that silly report so I know it's not 500.
On my current city route I have BFEs everyday and not a damn is given because they understand I get blocked in on streets and have to back up or I have to pull right up to the bumper of the car in front of me in order to park, then back after the stop or else I'd be blocking the whole city street. On industrial routes I used to run I'd regularly have half a dozen BFEs everyday backing from dock to dock. On those routes they establish what's normal for the route then flip out if you go over the average. In the 3 centers I've worked in, they only gave me a hard time about resi BFEs and I haven't heard a single word in 2 years.

FilingBluesFL

I make sure to remind them, when they start harping on the back first exceptions...

"Avoiding backing and walking off more stops got me at least an extra 30 minutes per day! Less backing = More $$$!"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My contract says you can't be disciplined based solely on technology. Warning letter is discipline. I don't know anyone who has ever received a warning letter off of telematics.

We have had several in our building. One was based off a concern which claimed our driver was speeding in a residential area (55 in a 35). Telematics supported the concern and a warning letter was given to the driver. Another driver received a warning letter (and was eventually terminated) for sheeting call tags off-area.