I lost my job because a manager didnt like me

tieguy

Banned
Mr Tie , I took your advice and contacted local 396. I asked for a copy of my discharge letter , to which my answer was that they had not received one either. I explained that it is imperative that I get one and I have been promised that they will work on this tommorow. wednesday) I also took the initotive to request a copy of the contract. (for personal reasons)
When I asked about the strength and weaknes`s of my case I was responded to with a ,what I thought was a long uncumfortable silence then a " i`ll be honest , it doesnt look good" Which to be honest I was already expecting.
I was told that no one has actualy seen my discharge paper.
How ever I did get some good news, that my arbatration date has been set for June 1st which happens to land on exactly the same day that my deposition with libarty Mutual is schedualed for. typical , not to worry I am re scheduling my deposition for a later date .
the only proof I have for any of this, is a letter from libarty mutal and letter from my work comp lawyer stateing the deposition date which I can provide for you if you wish.
So what now Mr tie ? I pass the ball back into your court and eagerly await your responce.

I guess I'll throw this one out to the public. How does someone get discharged without a discharge letter?

raceanoncr

I guess I'll throw this one out to the public. How does someone get discharged without a discharge letter?

Tie, can't find in Master Agreement but in Central Region Supplemental Agreement, of which I'm sure many other supplements have also adopted, it says:

"Discharge or suspension must be by proper written notice to the employee and the local union. Any employee may request an investigation of his/her discharge or suspension."

SmithBarney

I wasnt even able to log on to upsers.com the day following my termination.

This whole post stinks of BS.
(warning harsh content ahead)

While the information on browncafe is very useful
the last place I would be is here, getting help or
trying to convince a bunch of people on the internet
what you did was justified or whatever..
I'd be sitting in the local Union office or calling them
until this was resolved.
When and if you go to arbitration are you going to say:
"but mr (insert screen name here) on the internet said
that I should be able to get my job back..."

Don't get me wrong the browncafe is full of great information
its also has the potential to be full of crap too..

I'm going to have to call BS on some or most of this story..
If your not bright enough to follow the appropriate channels
for resecuring your employment, you probably don't belong at UPS.

I've left UPS, and can still log into UPSERS.

The site changes quite a bit(can't get the discounts etc... )
but you can still access it for payroll and tax information.

They built it into the website that if you've been terminated
your access is limited.. but not eliminated.
(try reading the source code when you login, if you can)

I got my Cobra paperwork 7 working days after my final day
Cobra rights are mandated by the Government, not UPS, so
therefore UPS is required within a certain timeframe to get this
information to you.

Good luck getting whatever job you have back, I wouldn't count on it though.

SmithBarney

Tie, can't find in Master Agreement but in Central Region Supplemental Agreement, of which I'm sure many other supplements have also adopted, it says:

"Discharge or suspension must be by proper written notice to the employee and the local union. Any employee may request an investigation of his/her discharge or suspension."

An immediate discharge can occur for several offenses, I believe, Drugs and alcohol fall on that list, as well as theft, threat or causing of bodily harm.

Cole

First of all at a Christmas party on UPS property a manager had drink with the fellows here a few years ago.

Do not drink in the package car! Satellite you crazy dude?

There is a big problem since they did not send your letter of termination, their time limit may be gone. There is nothing in our contract about being off the clock and drinking, and 2 swallows etc...isn't intoxicated.

The hell you didn't. You're a shop steward right? Same job as me different company. :thumbup1:

You may be right there!:w00t: But we still have the protection of a contract and the NLRB etc...:thumbup1:

Cole

Believe it or not I have seen on several occasions where warning letters, suspension etc...were not sent in a timley fashion. Sometimes they are sent to the wrong address as well.

Don't know why mine is in blue?

My avatar is our chocolate lab diving for his toy! lol

raceanoncr

Believe it or not I have seen on several occasions where warning letters, suspension etc...were not sent in a timley fashion. Sometimes they are sent to the wrong address as well.

Don't know why mine is in blue?

My avatar is our chocolate lab diving for his toy! lol

Yeah, me too, but how "timely" is "timely"? I think in this guy's case, he said it's been 8 months, if it's true.

Even our screwed-up court system is more "timely" than this...MOST OF THE TIME!

tieguy

Banned
Yeah, me too, but how "timely" is "timely"? I think in this guy's case, he said it's been 8 months, if it's true.

Even our screwed-up court system is more "timely" than this...MOST OF THE TIME!

Good news UK. Since you and the union did not get a discharge letter you can now return to work. Simply get up tommorrow and go back to work. :thumbup1:

hoser

Industrial Slob
best advice to you is tell them you have a drinking problem and you need help!!! they can't fire you,i believe you get 1 shot at this. i know it will hurt your pride and probaly isn't true but it will force them to send you away and will force them to give you back your job!!!! good luck and wise up,you have been here long enough to know the game!!!
that's a really interesting argument, i like it; they position themselves into being subject to a discrimination lawsuit.

but this has flaws: if i'm addicted to heroin and i'm shotting up heroin in the hub office and i lose my job, am i entitled to get my job back because i have a problem that i didn't bother addressing until i faced serious consequences?

and then there's the issue of ethics. you're lying and if they're cunning enough, they could nail him for dishonesty as grounds for dismissal.

interesting advice, but, uh, yeah.... it's wrong.

u.k guy!!!! iv'e been at u.p.s for 18.5 yrs and have seen and heard it all!! now i am a feeder driver and have been all over the northeast ,same storys all the buildings iv'e been to just different faces,but this tops it all! i am not here to say i don;t believe you because if brown is out for you they will find a way,luckily i have never had an issue with them. when i was on pkg car at peak i would often come in with 1 or 2 cases of beer a week from customers and they never said a damb thing to me [un opened of course] best advice to you is tell them you have a drinking problem and you need help!!! they can't fire you,i believe you get 1 shot at this. i know it will hurt your pride and probaly isn't true but it will force them to send you away and will force them to give you back your job!!!! good luck and wise up,you have been here long enough to know the game!!!

I know I'm a little late on this thread, but I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen people drinking/smoking (not cigarettes) while working at UPS!!
I agree that you shouldn't have taken that sip of beer on UPS property. But sometimes people (ESPECIALLY management) need to pick their battles. You sound like a good person, especially picking up a bunch of tacos for your supervisors and hanging out with them for a bit after you were off the clock. If I were one of those supervisors I would have told you "Thanks for the tacos, I know you only grabbed that beer cause it was the closest liquid in reach since you were choking...but don't ever do that again on UPS property." and I would have given you a second chance.
But, then again, maybe that's why I'm not in UPS management.
hold the show here, you're getting one side of the story, and you're using these to pass judgments about the situation.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I cant, I `m on workers comp, have had surgery on my shoulder ,am very stressed out ,cant sleep due to nightmares of a large taco wearing a suit and tie makeing me work with a dislocated shoulder , on to many pills and afraid of public places .

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good news UK. Since you and the union did not get a discharge letter you can now return to work. Simply get up tommorrow and go back to work. :thumbup1:
Uk dont listen to tie on this. If you walk back in that building you probably would get arrested. I might have missed this, but why exactly were you terminated, you didnt test dirty on the test.

tieguy

Banned
Uk dont listen to tie on this. If you walk back in that building you probably would get arrested. I might have missed this, but why exactly were you terminated, you didnt test dirty on the test.

some sarcasm in the response which UK understood but it is an interesting question for the labor pundits. Was the guy discharged if they never sent him or the union a discharge letter? And if not what does he do 8 months later with timeliness an issue?

705red

Browncafe Steward
some sarcasm in the response which UK understood but it is an interesting question for the labor pundits. Was the guy discharged if they never sent him or the union a discharge letter? And if not what does he do 8 months later with timeliness an issue?
I knoe that, wasnt sure if he knew that, the poor guys pulling a brett favre and is getting hooked on vicotins. We dont have the warning letters im my contract anymore it was removed ib 02. I dont understand why his union would say it doesnt look good on his arbitration. Why would they be arbitrating it knowing or thinking they have a losing case? That will cost the local some nice coin if they do lose it.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I cant, I `m on workers comp, have had surgery on my shoulder ,am very stressed out ,cant sleep due to nightmares of a large taco wearing a suit and tie makeing me work with a dislocated shoulder , on to many pills and afraid of public places .

I'm the last person to suggest walking away or 'surrendering' to UPS and poor treatment. But, there's a time ya gotta ask, "Is this a battle worth fighting anymore?" Walk away, friend. Don't look back and move on with your life. Been in a similar position as far as treatment by management and lack of sleep (not at UPS). I wasn't terminated but was suspended on a BS claim (long story and poor union representation to go along with it). I decided I'd had enough and found a better opportunity. I started feeling better within days. After a month, I was happier than anyone had seen me in years! And I'm not a medical professional but you should seek professional assistance with this lack of sleep and nightmares, regardless of whatever decision you make on walking away from UPS. I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting you walk away. I'll defend my suggestion! Any takers??? -Rocky

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Deer Mr Fred
I have no intent of sitting at my arbitration and saying anything of the sort. Trust me , I am useing this web sight as a last resort, I am however getting some good ideas from advice I have been sent and I am duely noteing it and will have whomever the union assigns to defend my case thoughraly look into all possibilites. well, at least thats what them to do.

Critic112

Raw:

It's people like you who have no consideration and understand ing for human kind! I'll always remember, quoting one individual who commented to UPS management from the Labor Department in Colorado: "Your days are numbered" How true this can be when one treats people with disrespect for no compassion for his fellow human being; that the comment you made on this site will some day bite you in the a**!

tieguy

Banned
Raw:

It's people like you who have no consideration and understand ing for human kind! I'll always remember, quoting one individual who commented to UPS management from the Labor Department in Colorado: "Your days are numbered" How true this can be when one treats people with disrespect for no compassion for his fellow human being; that the comment you made on this site will some day bite you in the a**!

I hope you don't own a nine millimeter. Your world is one of purple dragons. Our world is one in which drill sargents now have to ask permission to talk to a recruit. In the old days he would have kicked your but and you would not posting all this mamby pamby fairy tale crap of yours.

But again I welcome your actually posting something other then communist worker rhetoric on the other thread. Perhaps a rebuttal to the evidence instead of another rhetoric fairy tale?:thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I'm the last person to suggest walking away or 'surrendering' to UPS and poor treatment. But, there's a time ya gotta ask, "Is this a battle worth fighting anymore?" Walk away, friend. Don't look back and move on with your life. Been in a similar position as far as treatment by management and lack of sleep (not at UPS). I wasn't terminated but was suspended on a BS claim (long story and poor union representation to go along with it). I decided I'd had enough and found a better opportunity. I started feeling better within days. After a month, I was happier than anyone had seen me in years! And I'm not a medical professional but you should seek professional assistance with this lack of sleep and nightmares, regardless of whatever decision you make on walking away from UPS. I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting you walk away. I'll defend my suggestion! Any takers??? -Rocky
I would suggest that to anyone, and have. I some days would like to do the same. If in this situation, it would be hard as change is, but if forced into it, people need to know they can survive. And possibly for the better. People work every where not just UPS. And they seem to make it OK. They just tighten their belts, give up the new cars, and the expensive homes, and vacations. But it can be done. UPS isnt for everyone, those of us that have survived are lucky, but those that leave may also be luckier.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I would suggest that to anyone, and have. I some days would like to do the same. If in this situation, it would be hard as change is, but if forced into it, people need to know they can survive. And possibly for the better. People work every where not just UPS. And they seem to make it OK. They just tighten their belts, give up the new cars, and the expensive homes, and vacations. But it can be done. UPS isnt for everyone, those of us that have survived are lucky, but those that leave may also be luckier.
Learn to pick your fights + working at UPS = only way you will survive there.

Survival at UPS isn't luck, it's the fact that there's a fit.