I Love Fred

vantexan

Van, there are many many others at my station with similar stories. Many work hard with little complaining. The only complaints are about middle management and we have exterminated the bad seeds. We have no need to go to UPS, but others on here should explore their options, especially since they are on the verge of Poverty and expect FS to bring them cash on a silver platter. It takes 2 incomes to survive, the strong will survive and the weak will fall. JMO

The well paid will thrive, the poorly paid will just get by. FedEx is for winners who hold a thumb up with a big toothy grin while they decide which bill to pass on so that they can feed the kids. Don't like it? Leave, you wussies!!

Goldilocks

The well paid will thrive, the poorly paid will just get by. And if they don't like it they can leave. FedEx is for people who hold a thumbs up with a big toothy grin when they decide what necessity they'll go without to feed the kids. You wussies!!

How many hours a week are you getting? With the revolving doors going on with the PM operation you should be able to maintain plenty of hours.

Goldilocks

And there are many (I'd dare venture most) women FedEx Couriers that couldn't lift 75lbs to save their souls - cold hard truth and most Couriers know this.

Keep on posting, you are making my arguments for me.

OH, By the way, the MEN at my station are GENTLEMEN, every one of them!!!

Ricochet1a

Sounds like some of you need to go knocking on UPS door for a job. For the time spent on this Forum you could have had an application filled out.

Ah yes, the infamous response from those who bleed purple: "If you don't like it here, there's the door" (rephrased for the occasion).

So someone in their late 30s or 40s is supposed to spend 5-7 years working as a handler (more often than not part-time), until they get enough seniority to get a driver position....

Here's a novel thought, why don't the Couriers that are already working at Express finally realize that enough is enough, and gather that 50% +1 majority needed to certify a union and really shake things up? It would cut out the 5-7 year waiting time and drastic loss of income.

Ricochet1a

Many work hard with little complaining.

Translation: Be thankful drone that you have a job, or Fred will dispose of you.

It takes 2 incomes to survive, the strong will survive and the weak will fall.

My Gawd... on one hand she states the men in her station are "gentlemen", but then starts spewing fascist eugenics... "The weak will PERISH!!!"

She can toss a 75 lb package over her head while 9 months pregnant while doing 20 stops per hour!!! Anyone else out there who can't keep up is WEAK - off with their heads, no mercy for the slackers!!!

we have exterminated the bad seeds.

Must be code talk for eliminating those who disagree with Fred. I wonder where the bones are located, somewhere across the border in Mexico???

vantexan

Translation: Be thankful drone that you have a job, or Fred will dispose of you.

My Gawd... on one hand she states the men in her station are "gentlemen", but then starts spewing fascist eugenics... "The weak will PERISH!!!"

She can toss a 75 lb package over her head while 9 months pregnant while doing 20 stops per hour!!! Anyone else out there who can't keep up is WEAK - off with their heads, no mercy for the slackers!!!

Must be code talk for eliminating those who disagree with Fred. I wonder where the bones are located, somewhere across the border in Mexico???

LOL!!

vantexan

How many hours a week are you getting? With the revolving doors going on with the PM operation you should be able to maintain plenty of hours.

I've been doing 46-49 for awhile now. My mgr blew up my perfectly good route by taking a rt out of our loop and expecting us to pick up the slack. So now many days I get a late 30 min lunch, 1725 last Thursday before heading back in by 1845. I feel that after 13.5+ years I shouldn't have to work 46.5 hrs to make what a topped out courier makes on 40. And on the lowest payscale too, which is way too far behind the others. Toss in getting a partial traditional pension and the job is not what it used to be. And you keep talking about getting hours but don't seem to get that very soon there won't be hours to get. Freight will be shifted to Ground, and I'll be lucky to get 38 hrs, which is essentially a paycut. This is the point I've been trying to stress to you, that you are basing your views on your past experience but that's not the reality for mid-range employees and soon it'll get worse. I hope you don't have a large mortgage or car payment or kids in college. Even with two incomes it'll be tight for you if that's the case but as a topped out employee you will still be better off than a $16hr courier looking at 35 hrs a week and 3% raises.

Goldilocks

Thats right! I was raised by a Marine Corp DI....

Goldilocks

I've been doing 46-49 for awhile now. My mgr blew up my perfectly good route by taking a rt out of our loop and expecting us to pick up the slack. So now many days I get a late 30 min lunch, 1725 last Thursday before heading back in by 1845. I feel that after 13.5+ years I shouldn't have to work 46.5 hrs to make what a topped out courier makes on 40. And on the lowest payscale too, which is way too far behind the others. Toss in getting a partial traditional pension and the job is not what it used to be. And you keep talking about getting hours but don't seem to get that very soon there won't be hours to get. Freight will be shifted to Ground, and I'll be lucky to get 38 hrs, which is essentially a paycut. This is the point I've been trying to stress to you, that you are basing your views on your past experience but that's not the reality for mid-range employees and soon it'll get worse. I hope you don't have a large mortgage or car payment or kids in college. Even with two incomes it'll be tight for you if that's the case but as a topped out employee you will still be better off than a $16hr courier looking at 35 hrs a week and 3% raises.

Van, I understand your situation. Are you located in the Central part of Texas?

Goldilocks

Sounds like someone discriminates against the WOMEN of Fedex

Originally Posted by Ricochet1a
And there are many (I'd dare venture most) women FedEx Couriers that couldn't lift 75lbs to save their souls - cold hard truth and most Couriers know this.

Keep on posting, you are making my arguments for me.

Please, I reallly want to hear what you have to say about this?

TUT

I have not seen this topic broached here but I would not be surprised if the traditional pension plan one day comes under attack. In some of that last PR media releases about FedEx's financial woes with Express it was mentioned that there are financial pressures on FedEx due to Pension commitments.

Here is an article from 2005 to give some perspective. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/business/18pensions.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Most people think, no FedEx would never do that. I would not put anything past them in their ruthless quest for profit. Goldilocks how would feel if your happy feel good company reneged on the promises it had made to you for the past 25+ years?

Ask a pilot at United how they feel about this, I know, I had to deliver the news to them in Overnight Letters in 2005.

Court approves termination of United Airlines pension plans

American Air pension battle may spread | Reuters

This all falls in line that they all do the same things. When you saw airlines etc getting out of pension plans you can bet your sweet ass, lawyers and accountants at all the other major corporations were thinking "how can we?". We are all under the same crappy umbrella, it's not going to change without some type of major pendulum swing, I just assume that swing is a total crash of the system at this point. So yep, it sucks, but it is the sign of the times and not the sign of just Fedex being cruel, it's tough all over. If you don't like your job, there isn't anything on the horizon to make a driver feel better coming, so it's up to you to take the next step and get out for your own well being.

vantexan

This all falls in line that they all do the same things. When you saw airlines etc getting out of pension plans you can bet your sweet ass, lawyers and accountants at all the other major corporations were thinking "how can we?". We are all under the same crappy umbrella, it's not going to change without some type of major pendulum swing, I just assume that swing is a total crash of the system at this point. So yep, it sucks, but it is the sign of the times and not the sign of just Fedex being cruel, it's tough all over. If you don't like your job, there isn't anything on the horizon to make a driver feel better coming, so it's up to you to take the next step and get out for your own well being.

Important difference. The old line airlines couldn't compete with the newer ones like Southwest and JetBlue. They had no choice but to file for bankruptcy as they weren't taking in enough revenue to meet their obligations. FedEx on the other hand is the upstart that not only is taking it to their competition but is even cannibalizing it's Express division. Express WAS the darling of the industry, now it's Ground. Luckily Express on it's own can't file bankruptcy but it can be whittled down to a much smaller division. And there's nothing we can really do but hang on and hope for the best. By the time we could possibly get a union in Dynamic ROADS will be in place and they can fire strikers with ease. I'm hoping that if they don't offer a buyout that this process will take at least 2 years before our hours shrink. I'm close enough to 55 to deal with it but I'd sure hate to be in my 30's facing this with a family. I see some here are talking about 35 hrs like people who spend money on silly things like kids, mortgages, cars, furniture, health issues, investments, etc deserve to get slammed. It's our fault, not the company's. Shame on us...

thedownhillEXPRESS

Important difference. The old line airlines couldn't compete with the newer ones like Southwest and JetBlue. They had no choice but to file for bankruptcy as they weren't taking in enough revenue to meet their obligations. FedEx on the other hand is the upstart that not only is taking it to their competition but is even cannibalizing it's Express division. Express WAS the darling of the industry, now it's Ground. Luckily Express on it's own can't file bankruptcy but it can be whittled down to a much smaller division. And there's nothing we can really do but hang on and hope for the best. By the time we could possibly get a union in Dynamic ROADS will be in place and they can fire strikers with ease. I'm hoping that if they don't offer a buyout that this process will take at least 2 years before our hours shrink. I'm close enough to 55 to deal with it but I'd sure hate to be in my 30's facing this with a family. I see some here are talking about 35 hrs like people who spend money on silly things like kids, mortgages, cars, furniture,

health issues, investments, etc deserve to get slammed. It's our fault, not the company's. Shame on us...

I think it should also be noted that the often tossed around "35 hour minimum" could vanish as quickly as our traditional pension plan did.
There is no god given edict to require 35 hours, it's just a throwback to an old policy that helped promote retention and recruitment, neither of which are any longer a worry..

:obeyhypnosmiley:

mitchel

i have no doubt that minimums will be a thing of the past, once everything is set in motion. another way to force attrition down to a small work force.

Myort

I think if people who are considered full time get cut to part-time status, or are not getting full time hours, they are eligible for unemployment compensation in some states.

vantexan

I think if people who are considered full time get cut to part-time status, or are not getting full time hours, they are eligible for unemployment compensation in some states.

In Texas 30 hrs is considered fulltime. Read once that Walmart calls 32 hrs fulltime. I don't know if FedEx has a legal obligation to give us 35 hrs since they hired us with a guaranteed 35 hrs a week. But it's been pointed out if they want you to take a long split and then do a pickup rt and you refuse they can cancel your guarantee for that week. And taking a long split and coming back for pickups might be the only option for many rts.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Bottom line.....Fred sucks. Anyone who still bleeds purple is kidding themselves. Uncle Fred is not your buddy. What is it going to take for some to figure that out? This is a man who has no moral compass and would throw all of us away like used toilet paper.

vantexan

Bottom line.....Fred sucks. Anyone who still bleeds purple is kidding themselves. Uncle Fred is not your buddy. What is it going to take for some to figure that out? This is a man who has no moral compass and would throw all of us away like used toilet paper.

But at this point what good does this do? I think most of us are interested in exactly what's going to be announced in October.