i love my no union job at Fed_ex

Overpaid Union Thug

If the US Court of Appeals ruling stands on the Ground drivers being "contractors", then Fred could possibly eliminate Express and also keep the union out. Ground can no longer organize under the NLRB, but I have a feeling it could go all the way to the US Supreme Court. In other words, I don't think this one is over yet.

Eliminate Express? That would be one big cluster #@&!. I don't think that would turn out well for FedEx.

Overpaid Union Thug

If the US Court of Appeals ruling stands on the Ground drivers being "contractors", then Fred could possibly eliminate Express and also keep the union out. Ground can no longer organize under the NLRB, but I have a feeling it could go all the way to the US Supreme Court. In other words, I don't think this one is over yet.

Eliminate Express? That would one big cluster #@&!. Just trying to imagine the many different outcomes ends up having me think that the outcome would not be good for FedEx.

FedEx All the Way!

WAY TO GO FEDEX!:peaceful:
Thousands of drivers for the home-delivery subsidiary of the FedEx Corporation do not have the right to join a union because they are independent contractors and not employees, a divided federal appeals court in Washington ruled on Tuesday.
The ruling was FedEx Home’s biggest victory in a series of disputes with the Teamsters union, class-action lawyers and state officials over whether it had misclassified its drivers as contractors rather than employees to deny them various benefits and the right to unionize.
The ruling overturned a decision by the National Labor Relations Board, which had held that these drivers were employees because they were an essential part of FedEx Home’s business. The labor board also said that the company “exercised substantial control” over the performance of the drivers’ functions, noting that they must dress the way the company wants, operate vehicles that meet the company’s specifications and must display the FedEx logo and colors.
In the 2-to-1 ruling, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit concluded that FedEx Home did not have to bargain with the Teamsters even though a majority of drivers at two terminals in Massachusetts had voted overwhelmingly to join that union. FedEx Home, with 4,000 drivers, is a division of FedEx Ground Packaging Systems and delivers packages up to 75 pounds, mainly to residential customers.
The court found that FedEx Home’s drivers have “entrepreneurial potential” and can operate multiple routes and sell routes as well as hire helpers and additional drivers, and therefore should be considered independent contractors.
FedEx Home applauded the ruling. Maury Lane, a company spokesman, said the decision and a recent ruling in Washington State “confirm that FedEx Ground contractors are independent business owners who choose to own and operate their own enterprises as they like.”
hall, the director of the Teamsters’ package division, criticized the ruling. “We are confident that the decision will not survive review by the full court or by the U.S. Supreme Court,” he said. “We remain committed to those FedEx drivers who have sought the protection of a legitimate collective bargaining agreement to improve their lives.”
In the ruling, Judge Janice Rogers Brown, an appointee of George W. Bush, and Judge Stephen friend. Williams, a senior judge appointed by Ronald Reagan, signed the majority opinion. Judge Merrick B. Garland, who was appointed by Bill Clinton, dissented, writing that the drivers should be considered employees.
In his dissent, Judge Garland wrote that the drivers had little “entrepreneurial opportunity,” rarely take advantage of it and stand to make little money from selling their trucks or routes. He also argued that for drivers to hire helpers is hardly entrepreneurial and noted that FedEx Home puts limits on drivers’ ability to sell routes and can freely change their routes.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs voiced concern that the ruling could affect a nationwide class-action suit involving 27,000 FedEx Ground drivers, who accuse the company of misclassifying them as contractors to deny them overtime and health, retirement and other benefits.
Last December, the company agreed to pay $27 million to settle a misclassification lawsuit brought on behalf of 203 drivers in California.
In that suit, a state judge wrote that FedEx Ground had “close to absolute control” over the drivers, adding that the operating agreement they signed was “a brilliantly drafted contract creating the constraints of an employment relationship” disguised in the independent contractor model.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Did you ever call in sick or be late? All it takes is to be human for a moment and your review drops like a rock. Too bad FEATW has never had a chance to be a FedEx employee. Perhaps then, the clue train would make a run down her track. She really has no idea at all of what the place is really like.
That's a nice saying, LOL.

I have had occasion to see both an Express and Ground driver delivering the same stop at the same time.
Same here.
attachment.php

100_90651.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you actually read the story, you'd see that Republican Appointees decided the case. If and when this gets to the Supreme Court there may be a very different outcome. It looks like that's where it's headed, so don't count your Neocon Anti-unionists until they hatch.

These would be the same type of people who think the world is 6,000 years old, that evolution is a plot against Christianity, and that Ronald Reagan is the true God. Yes, the Earth is flat, rich people are better than the rest of us, and unions are evil. Rush says so.

Overpaid Union Thug

That's a nice saying, LOL.

Same here.
attachment.php

Well, that photo would be appropriate if there was a "Home Delivery" truck or two sitting there two. Move back so that the one UPS truck is in the frame and then then you would have an accurate picture of how many different FedEx trucks it takes to deliver in the same area compared to the one UPS truck. Another thing to consider (we'll just use who is actually in the picture as an example) is that even though both trucks are driven by FedEx drivers and both deliver packages only one of them is an "employee." LOL! FedEx is retarded.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Well, that photo would be appropriate if there was a "Home Delivery" truck or two sitting there two. Move back so that the one UPS truck is in the frame and then then you would have an accurate picture of how many different FedEx trucks it takes to deliver in the same area compared to the one UPS truck. Another thing to consider (we'll just use who is actually in the picture as an example) is that even though both trucks are driven by FedEx drivers and both deliver packages only one of them is an "employee." LOL! FedEx is [-]retarded[/-] challenged.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nah...they are retarded. But I will be fair and add the word Logistically to the front of the word though. "Logistically Retarded."
I agree, though I crossed that out because a lot of people think, downs syndrome, when they hear the word, retarded, not knowing that retarded actually means, slowed or inhibited. This being said, I think FedEx wisely made their plan, to keep their company from being unionized. So, where we see it as unwise, because of all of their guys running around town, they're (corporate) reaping the benefits.

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree, though I crossed that out because a lot of people think, downs syndrome, when they hear the word, retarded, not knowing that retarded actually means, slowed or inhibited. This being said, I think FedEx wisely made their plan, to keep their company from being unionized. So, where we see it as unwise, because of all of their guys running around town, they're (corporate) reaping the benefits.

Well, then maybe slowed was right. I hear customers complain about how slow FedEx Ground and Home delivery is all of the time. :) The decision to be be unionized should be be made by the employees though and not the employer. Or should I say contractor? Or is it contractorer? What a mess. :whiteflag:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Well, then maybe slowed was right. I hear customers complain about how slow FedEx Ground and Home delivery is all of the time. :) The decision to be be unionized should be be made by the employees though and not the employer. Or should I say contractor? Or is it contractorer? What a mess. :whiteflag:
LOL, you ain't kidding there, my friend.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The picture would be more perfect if they had driven into each other. The Ground guy, who probably speaks at least 20 words of English, would have to explain why he was reading his mapbook, shifting, and eating lunch....all at the same time, and for $12.00 per hour (no benefits).

Overpaid Union Thug

The picture would be more perfect if they had driven into each other. The Ground guy, who probably speaks at least 20 words of English, would have to explain why he was reading his mapbook, shifting, and eating lunch....all at the same time, and for $12.00 per hour (no benefits).

Both of them would have to be asking the UPS Driver for directions even though they have a their own personal GPS units in their vans.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Both of them would have to be asking the UPS Driver for directions even though they have a their own personal GPS units in their vans.
Funny you say that. The guys in the picture, are way cool. Favors abound between the 3 of us, however, there is another ground guy and a couple of home guys in my area, that have socialization problems, starting with the cordial wave. All said, my area is covered by 2 express, 2 ground and 2 home delivery "agents".

Broke

Have you been drinking??...or are you joking around??...Let me just say this...I have worked for Purolator,Fedex and now UPS...
FEDEX wins HANDS DOWN as to how their employees are treated...the only thing the Teamster Union does for UPS is protect the lazy person...and take 40-60 bucks off a driver's paycheck,for that service...they have little "protection" in Canada.....unions were good in the depression,protecting the rights of workers,pushing for schools etc..and maybe some unions are better than others..Jimmy Hoffa,Teamsters and UPS...do you think there is any connection there??...I wonder...
I've been a courier at express for 6 years.I currently make $15.29 per hr while UPS drivers make around$30 per hour.I also have to pay over $200 a month plus a co-pay for healthcare coverage and UPS drivers pay $0. My pension has been frozen (i'll only be able to draw around $1100 a month when I retire) UPS drivers can draw over $3,000 a month when they retire.My question is, how does Fedex win hands down?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've been a courier at express for 6 years.I currently make $15.29 per hr while UPS drivers make around$30 per hour.I also have to pay over $200 a month plus a co-pay for healthcare coverage and UPS drivers pay $0. My pension has been frozen (i'll only be able to draw around $1100 a month when I retire) UPS drivers can draw over $3,000 a month when they retire.My question is, how does Fedex win hands down?

As Marshall Sam McCloud used to say..."there you go". This is a perfect real world example of how much more UPS drivers make than we do. Let's see, if you stay for another 20 years you might actually top-out at around $20 per hour in your market. This is why Smith is so terrified of the Teamsters. Go IBT, and this punitive wage and benefit scam is over right away. Freddie knows this, and that's why he's pulling out all the stops to fight for the continued right to treat us (and pay us) like crap.

Broke

Top pay at my location is around $21 per hr, but no one that's hired on after '95 has reached it. :angry:We didn't get our raise in March, so I'm stuck at $15.29 for at least another year. I hope we have the chance to vote the union very soon, so maybe we can change course.

Dustyroads

funny thing, i see a fed ex driver almost every day on my route, we usually take break at the same place and time....errr, well, i'm taking a break, he's on his two hour non-paid-sit-and-wait time. He's asked me a hundred times if ups is hiring. :)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
funny thing, i see a fed ex driver almost every day on my route, we usually take break at the same place and time....errr, well, i'm taking a break, he's on his two hour non-paid-sit-and-wait time. He's asked me a hundred times if ups is hiring. :)
Which version of FedEx does he work for?:knockedout: