I might be a package handler

benjola2

Hey guys/gals

I just had the tour/first interview for a package handling job in Coralville Iowa it's a smallish facility looks like it has around 30 trucks in the unloading bay and 6 in the loading bay. I'm not in the greatest shape of my life and it looks like the opening might conflict with my college class schedule when semester starts. I'm just wondering how hard is the job really? from the outside it doesn't look horrible, but the interviewer kept really emphasizing that this is a very hard job. Is it really that bad? the pace looks like around 1 package every 1-2 seconds unloaded ( but that was an experienced supervisor) and about 1 package every 5 seconds loading.

Grouchy

I just started mine about a week ago. It is physically demanding so be prepared. Sometimes you get small packages and sometimes you get 70+lbs but whatever happens(if you get it) avoid misloads(putting the package in the wrong truck)...I'm in school as well, I do the morning shift 4am-8am

velle1203

its bad but ive seen worse im a chick and im managing i got hired for loader but transferred to sort im on overnight mon-fri.Give it a try atleast for 30 days than decide what do you have to lose.im in school as well and a mom im 11pm-4a.yea anything over 50 I just ask for help which is rare so the guys dont mind!

klolx

its bad but ive seen worse im a chick and im managing i got hired for loader but transferred to sort im on overnight mon-fri.Give it a try atleast for 30 days than decide what do you have to lose.im in school as well and a mom im 11pm-4a.yea anything over 50 I just ask for help which is rare so the guys dont mind!

You know they only hired you because you are sexy as hell

btrlov

The body will easily become adjusted. Its just a matter of time. What makes it hard is the PAY/PT Hours for the amount of effort place into the job, that is really the hard part.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You know they only hired you because you are sexy as hell

Give it a break seriously she deals with this crap at work she doesn't need it from u on here. If you want to do it at least PM her so the rest of us don't see these stupid posts in ever thread.

matt90

When I started (April), I wasn't in the "best" shape, but I was able to hold my own. And just from working as a loader since April I've lost around 35lbs. The only thing I really have a problem with is the heat in the trailer, but honestly other than that once you get used to loading it becomes second nature. It took me about 2 weeks or so before I was able to load my trailers without any help from my sup or other loaders. Good luck and welcome.

klolx

Give it a break seriously she deals with this crap at work she doesn't need it from u on here. If you want to do it at least PM her so the rest of us don't see these stupid posts in ever thread.

The problem is, you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

klolx

Yeah the things that really matter like harassing a poor girl on an Internet forum what a joke.

Well if that is your main focus, i'm sorry but youre a loser. How can you even think like this? Seriously, when I was your age I had girls all over me. As time passes you begin to see life from a different angle. You look at women from a different perspective and you begin to appreciate the smaller things. You dont laugh when someone misses the bus, or when someone burns their toast. You become somewhat depressed, because you miss the days where you could do whatever you want, whenever you want. Anyways, i dont want to scare you, as you get older you will learn from this experience, and you will start to appreciate what i am telling you. Good luck in life, my friend, and keep it mind what i have told you

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
It's not an overly hard job, it just depends on what you're good at and how fast you learn your trucks if you're a loader.

If you're in unload than you just need to keep up with your packages per hour (PPH), just go a moderately fast pace and don't let your self get burnt out; I personally find unload an extremely job since all you need to do is put packages on a roller.

If you're a loader hopefully they will give you proper training before they have you load on your own; depending on how busy your assigned trucks are you will likely end up building a small stack of packages every shift outside of your truck while the belt is running and they will slowly make into your truck.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The work? It's not as easy as flipping burgers, for sure. If you have ever unloaded a large trailer before, it's like that. The job? Yeah, well that's where things get dicey.

You know how you grew up with kids who got picked on by bullies? Well, those kids are now UPS supervisors, and they are now over-compensating for their childhood traumas. Doesn't matter if you were not a bully as a kid. They carry their anger over to everyone else. They are ignorant, angry and in charge. That, my friend, is what it is like to work at United Parcel Service.

Make your choice wisely....

rocket man

Hey guys/gals

I just had the tour/first interview for a package handling job in Coralville Iowa it's a smallish facility looks like it has around 30 trucks in the unloading bay and 6 in the loading bay. I'm not in the greatest shape of my life and it looks like the opening might conflict with my college class schedule when semester starts. I'm just wondering how hard is the job really? from the outside it doesn't look horrible, but the interviewer kept really emphasizing that this is a very hard job. Is it really that bad? the pace looks like around 1 package every 1-2 seconds unloaded ( but that was an experienced supervisor) and about 1 package every 5 seconds loading.
I might be a package handler? (well) if your not and your a supervisor i hope they are writing grievances on you daily.