I Need A New Book

P

pickup

Pickup's Pick:

"The Fix is in" , by Brian Tuohy Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Fix Is In: The Showbiz Manipulations of the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and NASCAR

I will post one of the reviews here to save typing:

As a long time sports follower, I have seen a few too many "coincidences" to ignore them, which prompted me to buy this book and I was not disappointed. While many of the journalists who reviewed this book try to say that the author does not have evidence to support the claim, that is not the case at all. He is ofter simply presenting what is known and how to view the league from the perspective of a CEO running a company trying to maximize profits. When looking at the league through that lens and seeing the many "coincidences" (that he suggests may be fixes) that have happened in sports, it makes one wonder if there are just too many of them. Also, remember that, as he said, many of the sportswriters and journalists MAKE A LIVING reporting on sports and they will certainly not get the best interviews and access to players if they support ANYTHING that is not good PR for the league.

It is certainly a very interesting read and one that I would recommend, especially if you have followed sports for a long time.

Okay, that was the review, I bought the book recently and I find it fascinating although I knew what to expect after hearing him be interviewed On a radio show years ago.

One example of alleged fixing (not by gamblers , or one or two players shaving points) by the NFL itself he details is Superbowl 3. He documents that the two leagues, the NFL and the upstart AFL were already planning to merge. The NFL would have preferred that the AFL would have dropped dead but the money the AFL got from NBC network ensured that they were going to be around for awhile, and thus inflating player salaries as they competed with the NFL to get players.

No corporation likes escalating labor costs. The NFL decided to bring the AFL in and the AFL knew it was the best thing for them too . But would the public accept these AFL teams into the NFL considering they were of perceptible lower quality. What better way to seemingly even the playing field in the eyes of the public than to have the AFL team win. And win they did.

The merger between the two leagues would not be official until a few years later when the separate television contracts ran out.

Anyway, it has a lot of other great stories in it too. Some from the distant past and some from just very recently.

Read this and you will not watch the Superbowl in the same way that you did before.

The Author has a website and last year, he pretty much picked not only the winner of the superbowl( just before it was played) but got pretty close to the final score.

Some of what he says is seemingly far fetched but a lot of what he says makes you go " Oh shoot, he's right".

Moo

51m1C0ojFZL._SL500_.jpg

P

pickup

"When To Ask and When Not To" by UpstateNYUPSER

An Etiquette Book that address the ever growing trend of strangers asking other strangers advice on what choices to make concerning their lives .

Details people's increasing reliance on the internet for quick answers instead of taking the time to figure out the answers on their own. While the author suggests that Google can be used to be become familiar with such concepts as "constructive", "time and place", and "work ethic" amongst others, the author makes a strong argument that internet has become a crutch in many people's lives and has replaced Critical Thinking and Self-Reliance, which the author believes should be the key ingredients in any decision.

The book also emphasizes the role of consulting one's own family in major decisions that impact them as opposed to posting polls on the internet.

The reader , once upon finishing the book, will question whether he really needs facebook or any social media for that matter.

The Book is self published and can be obtained through Big Babooba Enterprises at the web site BigBabooba.com .

Money orders, Credit Cards, and Cash!!, yes especially cash can be used to purchase this fine addition to your library.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I found this book to be very one-sided in only recommending Google for answers and totally ignoring Yahoo.....the favorite site of the inquiring people. I only give it 2 out of 4 stars.