I Need Advice About Getting Reimbursed - This is Apparently Not a Human Resource Issue

Overkill

Hello,

I was a seasonal driver last year. My experience with UPS was horrible. My first paycheck did not show up for a couple of weeks. It got sent to the wrong UPS facility. My supervisor was really arrogant, rude, and unprofessional.

After 2 or so weeks, I got sent to InterGrad. I passed, and was working as a helper for a few days at my facility. I was getting about 12 hours per week in December. Of course, my supervisor said he could not predict if my hours would increase. But I was not hired to work 12 hours/week, per the awful Human Resource person who 'interviewed' (standing up - no chairs) me. I called my supervisor to the supervisor I couldn't work for UPS anymore, and, of course, he said, "That's too bad, I was just about to work you as a driver with more hours."

This 'supervisor' told me I would be reimbursed for InterGrad for mileage to and from the airport as well as the parking garage charge. After InterGrad, he seemed confused that InterGrad did not take care of the reimbursement issue. He said he would though. I was never asked to sign an expense sheet, and I was never asked to submit my parking garage receipt.

I finally received the delayed first payroll paycheck that I referenced above. But, in the interim, this supervisor had cancelled payment on the first paycheck. When I picked up my paycheck one day, I had 3 paychecks in my name. I thought, "This is great. Now I finally have my first UPS paycheck, my current paycheck (for the time just worked), and the missing reimbursement check." But no. Seven days later my bank told me one of the checks was no good, so it sucked $180 right out of my account without warning - the supervisor had cancelled payment on it because I was reissued a 2nd check. So now I am unexpectedly 'out' $180, and this triggered my checking account to incur 2 charges totalling $42. (I was able to subsequently get my bank to reverse those charges as a courtesy.).

Four months later (today), I still don't have the reimbursement check. My supervisor passed it off to someone else, and they passed it off to the regional supervisor, who initially was nice and then said he would no longer commit any more time and $ to the issue. I get the feeling he thought I was being dishonest. One of the issues was that, when relating the events to this regional supervisor, I lacked 100% confidence in the exact string of events that took place. This is understandable as it was 4 months ago and complicated (delayed first check, missing reimbursement check, etc.). But recently I put all of the events together, and emailed him. But I have not heard back (and don't think I will) because he had said he will not invest any more time or money into the matter.

Recently I spent another 2 hours on the phone talking to my bank, UPS accounts payable in Georgia, UPS payroll in Ohio, and UPS finance/procurement. The lady in finance was baffled as to why there was no expense sheet.

How can I get my $180? Would the union help? (Also, as a side note, I read on here a couple of months ago that if UPS messes up your paycheck, then you are entitled, per union, to 1/2 days wages - but maybe I misunderstood?). It's hard to contact 'higher ups' because UPS is so cryptic with giving out their phone # information, etc. Should I try to go higher up the chain of command?

I ended up working for UPS for about 6 weeks, and went immediately back to driving for another carrier who couldn't pay as well, buy my experience was about 500X better.

Please help! What's a good next step?

Thank you.

UPSGUY72

It is a HR issue it's also a center manager issues as it's a payroll issue and the person that is going to forward the information to payroll is the HR person and or the center manager.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hello,

I was a seasonal driver last year. My experience with UPS was horrible. My first paycheck did not show up for a couple of weeks. It got sent to the wrong UPS facility. My supervisor was really arrogant, rude, and unprofessional.

After 2 or so weeks, I got sent to InterGrad. I passed, and was working as a helper for a few days at my facility. I was getting about 12 hours per week in December. Of course, my supervisor said he could not predict if my hours would increase. But I was not hired to work 12 hours/week, per the awful Human Resource person who 'interviewed' (standing up - no chairs) me. I called my supervisor to the supervisor I couldn't work for UPS anymore, and, of course, he said, "That's too bad, I was just about to work you as a driver with more hours."

This 'supervisor' told me I would be reimbursed for InterGrad for mileage to and from the airport as well as the parking garage charge. After InterGrad, he seemed confused that InterGrad did not take care of the reimbursement issue. He said he would though. I was never asked to sign an expense sheet, and I was never asked to submit my parking garage receipt.

I finally received the delayed first payroll paycheck that I referenced above. But, in the interim, this supervisor had cancelled payment on the first paycheck. When I picked up my paycheck one day, I had 3 paychecks in my name. I thought, "This is great. Now I finally have my first UPS paycheck, my current paycheck (for the time just worked), and the missing reimbursement check." But no. Seven days later my bank told me one of the checks was no good, so it sucked $180 right out of my account without warning - the supervisor had cancelled payment on it because I was reissued a 2nd check. So now I am unexpectedly 'out' $180, and this triggered my checking account to incur 2 charges totalling $42. (I was able to subsequently get my bank to reverse those charges as a courtesy.).

Four months later (today), I still don't have the reimbursement check. My supervisor passed it off to someone else, and they passed it off to the regional supervisor, who initially was nice and then said he would no longer commit any more time and $ to the issue. I get the feeling he thought I was being dishonest. One of the issues was that, when relating the events to this regional supervisor, I lacked 100% confidence in the exact string of events that took place. This is understandable as it was 4 months ago and complicated (delayed first check, missing reimbursement check, etc.). But recently I put all of the events together, and emailed him. But I have not heard back (and don't think I will) because he had said he will not invest any more time or money into the matter.

Recently I spent another 2 hours on the phone talking to my bank, UPS accounts payable in Georgia, UPS payroll in Ohio, and UPS finance/procurement. The lady in finance was baffled as to why there was no expense sheet.

How can I get my $180? Would the union help? (Also, as a side note, I read on here a couple of months ago that if UPS messes up your paycheck, then you are entitled, per union, to 1/2 days wages - but maybe I misunderstood?). It's hard to contact 'higher ups' because UPS is so cryptic with giving out their phone # information, etc. Should I try to go higher up the chain of command?

I ended up working for UPS for about 6 weeks, and went immediately back to driving for another carrier who couldn't pay as well, buy my experience was about 500X better.

Please help! What's a good next step?

Thank you.
Thanks silenze, but that is not an option. Unacceptable.

Wut?TM

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Thanks silenze, but that is not an option. Unacceptable.
So it was acceptable to lay back and take it a couple months ago? Why is this an issue almost 5 months after the fact?

If someone screwed with my pay you can bet I'd be throwing a fit until it was fixed

Overkill

Homeless?
As a new employee, it's not acceptable to "throw a fit," especially in a paramilitary environment like UPS. FrigidAdCorrector: I have not been laying back but actively trying to get my money. I can only do so much. Believe me, I have been trying.

box_beeyotch

As a new employee, it's not acceptable to "throw a fit," especially in a paramilitary environment like UPS. FrigidAdCorrector: I have not been laying back but actively trying to get my money. I can only do so much. Believe me, I have been trying.

Man they sure did get you good. Personally at this point if you legitimately have your story straight, I would pursue legal action. Unfortunately it's your word against there's, but the whole things sounds a little sketchy to me. For the record, UPS treats their seasonal employees like a steaming pile of dog crap.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Man they sure did get you good. Personally at this point if you legitimately have your story straight, I would pursue legal action. Unfortunately it's your word against there's, but the whole things sounds a little sketchy to me. For the record, UPS treats their seasonal employees like a steaming pile of dog crap.
Lmfao. Like they treat the long term ones any better. Lol

Overkill

I am kind of hoping that this forum will be a friendly, solution-focused way to a remedy. To be honest, I am sick and tired of UPS. So, unless you can post a productive reply that can help me get my money back, please refrain from posting.

PT Car Washer

Unless you have a lawyer in the family who will work for free, legal action may not be an option. Go back and get hired on PT and after making seniority be the worse employee ever. Only way you will ever make UPS pay.