I need guidance, and advice very badly.

P

pickup

Friday I heard they had an employee scheduled to go to Feeder school Monday, and the woman didn't even have a drivers license, to even drive a regular car, I'm not even making this up, how is this even going on? I've had a couple of employees tell me to call the UPS 1800 number and make a complaint on the woman,

Okay, I believe in the real world that you need a driver's license before you can get a permit for a cdl (http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/apply-cdl.php) . I think you might have some facts wrong regarding this woman/employee.

As for your case, I think that even if you win your grievance, you will still have to wait at that point for an opening in feeders. If you really win your grievance , you will get put into the seniority slot that you would have had before the others were hired into that department/classification. Years ago, in my feeders department , we had some casuals get hired improperly when in fact the package car drivers should have been hired into feeders. The union filed and won a grievance and when there were future openings in feeders, the package car drivers came in (this took years due to the economy). They got the feeder seniority that they would have gotten had things been done properly in the first place.

Original poster, you sound like a good guy so I wish you good luck. Stop beating yourself on the head though, you took care of your appendicitis at the time. It's perfectly understandable that you missed that bid sheet.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Okay, I believe in the real world that you need a driver's license before you can get a permit for a cdl (http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/apply-cdl.php) . I think you might have some facts wrong regarding this woman/employee.

As for your case, I think that even if you win your grievance, you will still have to wait at that point for an opening in feeders. If you really win your grievance , you will get put into the seniority slot that you would have had before the others were hired into that department/classification. Years ago, in my feeders department , we had some casuals get hired improperly when in fact the package car drivers should have been hired into feeders. The union filed and won a grievance and when there were future openings in feeders, the package car drivers came in (this took years due to the economy). They got the feeder seniority that they would have gotten had things been done properly in the first place.

Original poster, you sound like a good guy so I wish you good luck. Stop beating yourself on the head though, you took care of your appendicitis at the time. It's perfectly understandable that you missed that bid sheet.

The woman who was scheduled to go to class, didn't have any sort of license at all. She has someone bring her to work. However HR had her scheduled to go into class next week. This was a screw up on on HR's part because they didn't do their job properly. They just didn't even look over their paper work to see she had any of her stuff ready to go, they just saw her name and put her in class. That is our HR department for you.

I will file my grievance and see what happens, I'll up date if anything happens. I appreciate your help, and I have calmed down quite a bit over the weekend spending time with my family, and I will just move forward and see what happens. I guess that is all I can do, I'm not going to try to force anything to happen like I did the past few days. I can always go ahead and get my class A license since I have my permit already and do some weekend work for my brother's company. That way if I get called up again I will already know what I'm doing and I'll already have my license.

shagNasty

Just file it and hope Mike can help you. OAKTN needs drivers badly, and you'll probably be in one of the next classes. You'll lose a few spots, but still better than waiting 9-10 years.

Sent using BrownCafe App

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The woman who was scheduled to go to class, didn't have any sort of license at all. She has someone bring her to work. However HR had her scheduled to go into class next week. This was a screw up on on HR's part because they didn't do their job properly. They just didn't even look over their paper work to see she had any of her stuff ready to go, they just saw her name and put her in class. That is our HR department for you.

I will file my grievance and see what happens, I'll up date if anything happens. I appreciate your help, and I have calmed down quite a bit over the weekend spending time with my family, and I will just move forward and see what happens. I guess that is all I can do, I'm not going to try to force anything to happen like I did the past few days. I can always go ahead and get my class A license since I have my permit already and do some weekend work for my brother's company. That way if I get called up again I will already know what I'm doing and I'll already have my license.

I can believe this. Proper genitals to fill a quota and she is in. Just wrong.

P

pickup

She may be in for school, But that doesn't mean they will pass her.

Yeah, if what the original poster said about this woman is true , she has to pass two driving tests, the one for a regular license and then the one for a cdl. No real driving experience and no clutch experience : I don't think that helps her in her quest to pass the cdl test.

P

pickup

Yeah, if what the original poster said about this woman is true , she has to pass two driving tests, the one for a regular license and then the one for a cdl. No real driving experience and no clutch experience : I don't think that helps her in her quest to pass the cdl test.

oops, meant to edit, sorry

Johney

If she even makes it to the CDL test. I was thinking those who train her for feeder school won't pass her. Just because you make it to feeder school does not mean you will make it into feeders.

P

pickup

If she even makes it to the CDL test. I was thinking those who train her for feeder school won't pass her. Just because you make it to feeder school does not mean you will make it into feeders.

Yes, that too.

HBGPreloader

This may be confusing to some and it may be lengthy but I really need my fellow UPSers help on this one. Preferably seasoned veterans of UPS. Here goes.

About 3 weeks ago I got a phone call from HR and they are in need of Feeder drivers. She stated my name was on the Feeder bid. Our building is very large and we are in the process of expanding so they need 30 new drivers as soon as possible. I am part time and have been with the company for 12 years, I am a shifter and have been one for 7 years. Back to my talk with HR, she tells me that full timers, and package are turning down feeder positions so they are going to part timers for feeder school. She said that they are basically taking people as soon as they get their stuff in. They are going by seniority but only as people turn in their Class A permit, DOT, and drug test, as soon as they turn that stuff in they are putting them into class. This is a very rare situation, which I nor any higher seniority has seen. I was number six on the part time list.

So skip ahead 4 days, I pass my Class A with flying colors and I have all my stuff, I turn them in and I'm ready to go. She fills out my uniform info and I go about my way. Now skip ahead a week. HR calls and tells me "Oh, we made a mistake, you signed the Feeder bid sheet not the part time to full time bid sheet, and that is what we are pulling from, we are sorry."

So I tell her I sign everything that comes across the table, I literally do sign every piece of paper that comes out, even if I don't want the job I sign it, I have always done this. She tells me no my name isn't on the part time to full time list, I tell her she is mistaken and she tells me to come into HR and I can look over the list myself. I ask her when did the bid come out. She tells me it came out Dec 13.... I had emergency surgery Dec 13 and was out of work until Jan 13. I had appendicitis and I had to have my appendix removed and I was out of work for a month. I literally worked through the pain two days before it burst (because I'm stupid) and finally that Friday Dec 13 I had to have emergency surgery to have my appendix removed. I tell HR this and they call and ask the Labor Department and they tell me "I had to been active during that time to sign the bid sheets. There is nothing I can do." . So you can imagine I was pretty heated at this point, and I have been ever since. I have been with UPS for 12 years and have never been out of work for more than a week, for vacations and the one time I get sick and have to have surgery I miss this one opportunity to get something I actually want. So I call my union rep. And I explain the situation to him, he gives me the typical file a grievance and well see what we can do. He also lied to me, he told me he has never heard of anything like this happening and winning.

So a co worker of mine was out for two months for a knee injury, came back filed a grievance and had his name put on all the bid sheets he missed. This was a month and a half ago, so why he lied to me is a mystery. This sort of gave me a bad taste after I was lied to. So lets move on ......

There is a manager I have a lot of respect for, he has always been an upstanding guy, strange I know, but I ask him if he can do anything, and he actually tries his hardest to help me out, I'm sure he is doing things on the down low to try to help me out. He has actually done more for me my entire career than any union steward has. He tries and tells me there isn't anything he can do and he tried his hardest and I believe him. Whether this was a good idea to get him involved or not I'm not sure but I wanted to try anything.
I have never been fired, and I've only been written up over minor things, and that hasn't happened in 8 years. I work every day, I still have days left at the end of the year, I come in early and work late when asked, and I usually always play ball. I'm not really a hard worker but I'm consistent and I just feel really betrayed by all this. I was one of the first people to get all my stuff together and turned in, and I was ready to rock that Feeder school and next thing you know I'm dealing with all this, while people are just blowing by me. Also the first week and half I was dealing with a certain HR woman, then after that I was dealing with a new HR woman who apparently has no clue what she is doing, which I also didn't like that.

Friday I heard they had an employee scheduled to go to Feeder school Monday, and the woman didn't even have a drivers license, to even drive a regular car, I'm not even making this up, how is this even going on? I've had a couple of employees tell me to call the UPS 1800 number and make a complaint on the woman, I do know that 1800 number does bring down some pain on management but I don't see how that would help. I did fill out a grievance, but I told the union steward to hold on to it until Monday.
I wanted to come on here and ask you guys what would be my best course of action. I can't have missed this guys. I have hated myself for the past 4 days. I have beaten myself up over it, there is literally nothing I could have done, I could have came in to work Dec 13 and died, but as long as I signed that bid sheet that would have been okay right? I just can't imagine that was my chance and its gone because of something like that. You know if this was something small, like car wash or fueler I wouldn't have complained, I hate complaining and I hate making excuses, I'm not that guy, I come to work, I take care of my family, and I get things done. I hate that I'm in this situation, and I hate that I'm upset about all of this. Is there a way to get a re bid? Should I file the grievance? Also If I file that grievance I will be bugging the mess out of my union rep. I just don't want to have to wait 3 months until he gets around to doing anything. By the way I have hardly any faith in my union rep or the stewards, they are usually pretty passive about everything, and it seems to me like they don't like anything that requires work. The few times I have came to them they have never helped. By the way I rarely go to them, I hardly ever have problems and if I do I try to fix them my self.

Also I wanted to add in the 12 years I've been at UPS this is my first grievance I have ever filed. Do any of you guys have any advice at all? Am I screwed? Can I fight this at all? I'm sorry for my wall of text and I know a lot of it might have been pointless to write but honestly I just don't know what to do. I'm sorry if I come off as a cry baby at all, I hate being THAT GUY, but this just pisses me off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ya, it stinks that you missed out. So, file a grievance and hope for the best. The worst they could do is say no.

DSM515

So is your name on the intent sheet now? Chances are a few people will wash out so wouldn't you get the call when this happens? I still would file on it ASAP you only have 10 days. Good luck keep us posted.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
So is your name on the intent sheet now? Chances are a few people will wash out so wouldn't you get the call when this happens? I still would file on it ASAP you only have 10 days. Good luck keep us posted.
I filed last week sometime. Still haven't heard anything.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You did not sign a PT to FT bid because you were on disability??

Going to have to wait till another is hung. I have seen it happen in my building. If you cannot fulfill the bid when you sign, you are deemed not eligible.
You can sign a bid while on disability.

1. It is up to you to find out if bids go up in your absence. The company does not have to notify you.

2. You must be able to fill the job when it comes time to fill it. Example. You bid a job. Contract says UPS has to put you on the job in 10 days. You have to be off disability and able to start the job in 10 days or you lose the bid and it goes to the next highest bidder.

A question. What was the PT to FT bid for? Would you have been able to fulfill that bid even though you did not return until Jan 13?

Edit. Just noticed it was almost a year ago. Browntown2014 must have been perusing old posts.