I Need Some MAJOR Advice

SkittlesEater

First of all, this is my first post on this forum. You all have already answered every question I've ever had about the job and gave great advice for what to do and not to do as a newbie.

My question is this: HOW do I get a phone number for human resources to leave them a message BEGGING to start my training next week instead of tomorrow. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Lyme Disease yesterday, and if you know anything about Lyme, I have the worst migraine of my life. The doctor also likened the muscle pain I would begin having (and DID) to an 80 year old having arthritis in their neck, shoulders, and lower back. :biting:

This obviously was not something I was asking for... nor was it something totally avoidable (I use tick repellent when outside). I am hoping someone might have pity on me and agree to let me start training NEXT week (after the meds kick in).

Thanks for your assistance!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Bottom line is, you will have to wait until tomorrow regardless (Monday)

Are you currently working at UPS and are moving up with training, or is tomorrow your very first day? I ask because if tomorrow is your very first day, this just won't be as big of a deal as you think. Call tomorrow morning (whoever you originally called) fax them Dr. note, and start next Monday. Relax.

If you are already a UPS employee, you are screwed.

bellesotico

BOXstar
First of all, this is my first post on this forum. You all have already answered every question I've ever had about the job and gave great advice for what to do and not to do as a newbie.

My question is this: HOW do I get a phone number for human resources to leave them a message BEGGING to start my training next week instead of tomorrow. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Lyme Disease yesterday, and if you know anything about Lyme, I have the worst migraine of my life. The doctor also likened the muscle pain I would begin having (and DID) to an 80 year old having arthritis in their neck, shoulders, and lower back. :biting:

This obviously was not something I was asking for... nor was it something totally avoidable (I use tick repellent when outside). I am hoping someone might have pity on me and agree to let me start training NEXT week (after the meds kick in).

You should have gotten a card..or something with an HR contact or your hub/center call info on it. You might want to look through the training info they gave you again.

pkg handler

Bottom line is, you will have to wait until tomorrow regardless (Monday)

Are you currently working at UPS and are moving up with training, or is tomorrow your very first day? I ask because if tomorrow is your very first day, this just won't be as big of a deal as you think. Call tomorrow morning (whoever you originally called) fax them Dr. note, and start next Monday. Relax.

If you are already a UPS employee, you are screwed.

if he is already employeed at ups then i cant see how'd he would be screwed .. even when i first started i was given two #'s to call when i9 had to call out on the back of my i.d .. all he would have to do was call in .tell the circumstances and thats it .. i always got a hope you feel better man when i was calling out ..it was no biggie .. Ups will run without us , after us and it has before us

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
if he is already employeed at ups then i cant see how'd he would be screwed ..

You kidding? Have you ever called in sick? His Supervisor once was DECAPITATED and he STILL made it to work! In a snowstorm! And he worked a DOUBLE shift BEFORE THEY STUCK HIS HEAD BACK ON.

You call in sick, they pass you to every possible supervisor to talk to. This is to make you feel guilty, hear that your supervisor was once decapitated and worked a double shift and, most importantly, they are on other phones calling your relatives to get on the line. If the first 5 or 23 supervisors can't get you to come in, they get your MOM on the phone, as if you were a jumper off a tall building "Johnny, son, PLEASE go in to work, you have so much to live for..."

pkg handler

You kidding? Have you ever called in sick? His Supervisor once was DECAPITATED and he STILL made it to work! In a snowstorm! And he worked a DOUBLE shift BEFORE THEY STUCK HIS HEAD BACK ON.

You call in sick, they pass you to every possible supervisor to talk to. This is to make you feel guilty, hear that your supervisor was once decapitated and worked a double shift and, most importantly, they are on other phones calling your relatives to get on the line. If the first 5 or 23 supervisors can't get you to come in, they get your MOM on the phone, as if you were a jumper off a tall building "Johnny, son, PLEASE go in to work, you have so much to live for..."

well maybe thats how it goes around where your at but nothing like that since I've been union or management has happened here when I or other co workers have called out .. our whole operation won't crumble because someone doesnt show .. i always got the hope you feel better and take it easy and i went straight through to my friend/t supe wasnt redirected or anything .. I have his number he has mine .. quick 10 second call thats it ..for anybody that has ever called out like I said ups will be fine before and after us ..the job will get done regardless

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
well maybe thats how it goes around where your at but nothing like that since I've been union or management has happened here when I or other co workers have called out .. our whole operation won't crumble because someone doesnt show .. i always got the hope you feel better and take it easy and i went straight through to my friend/t supe wasnt redirected or anything .. I have his number he has mine .. quick 10 second call thats it ..for anybody that has ever called out like I said ups will be fine before and after us ..the job will get done regardless

No - You don't get it - UPEers DO NOT GET SICK! YOU MAY NOT GET SICK. YOU ARE NOT SICK! YOU MUST COME IN! NOW!

If you DIE, your sups will visit your funeral, not to pay their respects, but to advise you you were a no call / no show and THEY HAVE EVERY EXPECTATION that you will be ON TIME tomorrow DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

your best bet is to go in personally with a doctor's note. ( or have your parents go in and explain what's going on) Since they already hired you, the company can understand your situation and delay your training until you get better.

atatbl

Careful, this incident may be deemed "avoidable" by your superiors :). It will be argued that you did not follow proper methods when applying the tick repellent.

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear you are sick. If you are physically able, you could go there and tell them what happened. Otherwise, I know there are posters on here that would be able to find a number for you.

drewed

Shankman
It could be a bigger issue than some think if hes a new hire, up here atleast after our next training class; hiring/training of new hires is froze until oct for ramp up to peak.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet

So i'm guessing you caved in and reported in.Try growing a pair.(Just curious were you afraid of your sup's or that your mother would send you to bed without dinner if you didn't go?)

drewed

Shankman
OK I got IPMF figuered out. I am stumped on BTT
BTTBack to TopBTTBack to Topic
BTTBank to Turn (aircraft control)BTTBatch Test ToolBTTBatignolles Technologies ThermiquesBTTBattle Technology TeamBTTBeat the Train (Detroit urban mountain biking website)BTTBefore This TimeBTTBest Table Topics (Toastmasters)BTTBetter Than ThemBTTBicicleta Todo-O-TerrenoBTTBig Time Tournaments (website)BTTBlue Text Transfer (gaming)BTTBoard of Tariffs and TradeBTTBorder Transition TeamBTTBored To TearsBTTBougainville Transition TeamBTTBranch Training TeamBTTBridge to Terabithia (movie and book)BTTBridge to Transplant (artificial heart)BTTBuilt To TestBTTBus Traffic TableBTTBus Transmission TimeBTTBusiness Transaction TracingBTTBuy This Thing (classified ads)BTTBalanced Temperature Technology
????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BTTBack to TopBTTBack to Topic
BTTBank to Turn (aircraft control)BTTBatch Test ToolBTTBatignolles Technologies ThermiquesBTTBattle Technology TeamBTTBeat the Train (Detroit urban mountain biking website)BTTBefore This TimeBTTBest Table Topics (Toastmasters)BTTBetter Than ThemBTTBicicleta Todo-O-TerrenoBTTBig Time Tournaments (website)BTTBlue Text Transfer (gaming)BTTBoard of Tariffs and TradeBTTBorder Transition TeamBTTBored To TearsBTTBougainville Transition TeamBTTBranch Training TeamBTTBridge to Terabithia (movie and book)BTTBridge to Transplant (artificial heart)BTTBuilt To TestBTTBus Traffic TableBTTBus Transmission TimeBTTBusiness Transaction TracingBTTBuy This Thing (classified ads)BTTBalanced Temperature Technology
????

yeah, that helped a lot.

SkittlesEater

You've all been very helpful. To clarify this, I haven't started training... I was to start tomorrow... I "misplaced" the business card they gave me almost a month ago... and I attempted to call them using the number they called me with (Hello... you have reach an unassigned number at UPS). Since I'm only 24 hours into the recovery process, still have the headache from hades and the muscle cramps that you can actually watch you legs wave back to you. I think I'll put on my extra dark sunglasses and try to convince my husband to journey with me into the realm of Human Resources. With me, I shall bring the Emergency Room paperwork and a positive attitude. Thank you all for your help!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Relax, everything will work out just fine. The company is a lot more understanding than stated here.

Look, I was just trying to lighten up the mood around here. If you have not even started yet, visit first thing w/Dr. note, I'm sure they will be understanding. New hires in the unload division are desperately needed, and you won't have any problems.

Unless you are already an employee, then you are screwed.