I need you to come in early tomorrow

pretrip

Express scenario:

You're a swing driver. In the afternoon you receive a text from a manager asking if you'd come in 6 hours earlier than scheduled the next day. You don't respond because you're working. A couple hours pass and you receive another text with a more aggressive, direct tone no longer asking, but telling you to come in early. Do you have to show up early? Are swing drivers essentially on call all the damn time thanks to "operational needs"? Any insight beyond " LOL you're a swing LOL" would be greatly appreciated.

dezguy

Here, if you are FT they can force you to work no more than 1 hour before or past your scheduled time. If you are PT, tough luck. Not required to work any more than what they are scheduled for.

Purplepackage

Express scenario:

You're a swing driver. In the afternoon you receive a text from a manager asking if you'd come in 6 hours earlier than scheduled the next day. You don't respond because you're working. A couple hours pass and you receive another text with a more aggressive, direct tone no longer asking, but telling you to come in early. Do you have to show up early? Are swing drivers essentially on call all the damn time thanks to "operational needs"? Any insight beyond " LOL you're a swing LOL" would be greatly appreciated.

Regardless it's up to you, swings here are always working all kinds of crazy hours but that's because we want too. They text me to start at 5am I'll never turn it down, if they want me on OT by 1:30 that's on them

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Express scenario:

You should ask the "real" operational needs.

@Operational needs

Express Courier

Come in 6 hours early? lolwut

NQHKSVE.gif

SmithBarney

Sorry Texting is not an official form of communication recognized by the company.
I believe you "never got it, or don't have texting on your phone."

During work hours, PPAD message. After hours call to home. Changes in work times need 24hr advance notice.(or at least the beginning of prior shift)

overflowed

I don't understand why you guys subject yourselves to this treatment. If you are a full time courier you just need to do your own rte and nothing else. Unless you want to do more. If you are a swing, the swings I know only do what they're are scheduled to do unless they want more work. I guess not all areas are the same.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Express scenario:

As someone stated, "texting" is not a form of communication, especially if it's my personal phone.
Actually, when I upgraded my phone, I got another number. No where in policy does it state, they
need my phone number. So if they don't reach me by the MDT or FedEx email, oh well.

If you want me to run a different route, it would be such a courtesy, to let me know the day before - yes, 24 hours before. Plus, our HR rep told us if they call us at home, we could get 2 hours "call in pay". That cut out the phone calls with a quickness.

The best excuse if you don't wish to tell them, "don't call me on my personal phone, during my OFF TIME" ...
... I sleep up until I'm scheduled to come in; my phone will not be on!