I need you to come in early tomorrow

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by pretrip, Jul 27, 2015.

1. pretrip

pretrip New Member

Express scenario:

You're a swing driver. In the afternoon you receive a text from a manager asking if you'd come in 6 hours earlier than scheduled the next day. You don't respond because you're working. A couple hours pass and you receive another text with a more aggressive, direct tone no longer asking, but telling you to come in early. Do you have to show up early? Are swing drivers essentially on call all the damn time thanks to "operational needs"? Any insight beyond " LOL you're a swing LOL" would be greatly appreciated.

2. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

Here, if you are FT they can force you to work no more than 1 hour before or past your scheduled time. If you are PT, tough luck. Not required to work any more than what they are scheduled for.

3. Purplepackage

Purplepackage Well-Known Member

Regardless it's up to you, swings here are always working all kinds of crazy hours but that's because we want too. They text me to start at 5am I'll never turn it down, if they want me on OT by 1:30 that's on them

4. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

You should ask the "real" operational needs.

@Operational needs

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

The best I can offer is that he needs to check the P & P in the computer. Find out what the policy is on schedule time changes. I'm sure there is a minimum advanced notice, but I don't remember what it is.

6. Billy Ray

That's what I told him; same thing.......

7. Why not??

8. Operational needs

Because it's never happened to me so I never bothered to look it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Lazy?

10. Billy Ray

Do what the lady said, and check the P & P.
    Jeez....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Operational needs

I only worry about what pertains to me and my situations. Everyone else can man up and fend for themselves. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Express Courier

Express Courier Active Member

Come in 6 hours early? lolwut

[​IMG]

13. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

Sorry Texting is not an official form of communication recognized by the company.
    I believe you "never got it, or don't have texting on your phone."

During work hours, PPAD message. After hours call to home. Changes in work times need 24hr advance notice.(or at least the beginning of prior shift)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Yes

15. overflowed

overflowed Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you guys subject yourselves to this treatment. If you are a full time courier you just need to do your own rte and nothing else. Unless you want to do more. If you are a swing, the swings I know only do what they're are scheduled to do unless they want more work. I guess not all areas are the same.

16. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

Your manager isn't Bill Lumbergh by chance, is it?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. l22

l22 Active Member

Lazy and too trusting of management. What you don't know can and WILL be used against you. Print out every policy there is, read them, know them and keep them filed.

18. NonyaBiznes

NonyaBiznes Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!

As someone stated, "texting" is not a form of communication, especially if it's my personal phone.
    Actually, when I upgraded my phone, I got another number. No where in policy does it state, they
    need my phone number. So if they don't reach me by the MDT or FedEx email, oh well.

If you want me to run a different route, it would be such a courtesy, to let me know the day before - yes, 24 hours before. Plus, our HR rep told us if they call us at home, we could get 2 hours "call in pay". That cut out the phone calls with a quickness.

The best excuse if you don't wish to tell them, "don't call me on my personal phone, during my OFF TIME" ...
    ... I sleep up until I'm scheduled to come in; my phone will not be on!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List