i received a warning ltr for complaining about different treatment of pkg car drvr's

uncle elrod

I was questioned about not taking my meal according to Article 54 (feeder). I was showing all breaks after learning security was following drivers. However we have drivers in our center who routinely show meal breaks, but routinely deliver through them without being paid for working.
After i told them thaat they were stupid for giving UPS sometimes $100 wk I was called into the office a given a warning letter for failing to take meal meal as directed, yet the package drivers get away with it. I know who does it, but when asked by security for names i refused to rat them out.

Is this a major problem in other locations of the country, and if so where. What do i need to do, or should i drop it.

I know ups knows about it if they were to pull the time cards and matched it to the delivery records. i wonder how much ups makes on these drivers who do this a year? Are the drivers that scared to take their meals right?

Any help would be appreciated to get an idea of the scope of the problem and a solution.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Re: i received a warning ltr for complaining about different treatment of pkg car drv

Sorry, none of that info for you, but some advice. Grieve the warning letter and take your full breaks. This will never happen to you again.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Re: i received a warning ltr for complaining about different treatment of pkg car drv

Of course they know about it, and as long as it is to their benefit UPS will not do one damn thing about it. The only way it is going to end is when there is a national lawsuit just like Cali. You may as well accept that. It happens alot here and I look at it this way, those that are running through their lunches and breaks are taking that much more time away from their career. They will burn out sooner or be injured sooner and that will just bump me up on the seniority list that much sooner. Works for me!:happy-very:

some1else

Banned

did i hear that regions, or locals idk, have the option to opt for the 12-1 lockout?

i would vote for that in a heartbeat. this is the whole reason they push the 1 hour lunch so hard they know that for 1000drivers taking a 1 hour lunch the get x amount of free work. say 30% work it (and otherwise that time would be OT) 300hoursx42= 12600$ of free work! how many drivers are in the country again?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

did i hear that regions, or locals idk, have the option to opt for the 12-1 lockout?

i would vote for that in a heartbeat. this is the whole reason they push the 1 hour lunch so hard they know that for 1000drivers taking a 1 hour lunch the get x amount of free work. say 30% work it (and otherwise that time would be OT) 300hoursx42= 12600$ of free work! how many drivers are in the country again?
But some drivers don't take lunch from 12-1. The board should just be locked out from the time you"say" you take lunch, until an hour from that point, JMHO.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I couldn't disagree more with the lockout but I do agree that driver's should not be working through their lunches. If a driver has something to do that evening he can request to run Code 5 and not record a lunch so that he can get done early but those requests are normally turned down. I have to admit that I have set up my route to where taking lunch between noon and 1, while possible, would be difficult. I actually prefer to fiinish my deliveries and the first round of pickups before taking my lunch and break and then finishing the pickups on the way back to the center.

some1else

Banned

But some drivers don't take lunch from 12-1. The board should just be locked out from the time you"say" you take lunch, until an hour from that point, JMHO.
whatever, but it should lock for a full hour. 1 hour un-interupted lunch so why shouldnt it be locked? then you can have an override for emergencies and just have to have a good reason for the managment/other drivers.

helenofcalifornia

Uncle, if you work in Newport, than your board should be locked out for the one hour lunch. How do those drivers work around that? Prerecord the stops they will do in the next hour and then stop complete all of them in 5 minutes when they "return" from lunch?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

whatever, but it should lock for a full hour. 1 hour un-interupted lunch so why shouldnt it be locked? then you can have an override for emergencies and just have to have a good reason for the managment/other drivers.

I usually prefer to take a 1/2 hr lunch, and I try to hit the restaraunt at 11:30-11:45 so I dont have to stand in line.

Trying to "lock people out" or micromanage when they take their lunch is missing the intent of the language...which is to insure that we are paid for all hours worked and afforded the opportunity to take an uninterrupted lunch at a time of our choosing rather than to have to work non-stop for 9 hours on an all-business route.

I used to take my lunch at 5:30 or 6:00 at night and watch my kids soccer game. Since I couldnt get home in time, I did the next best thing. My kids teammates thought it was cool to have the UPS truck parked behind their bench. I accurately recorded my personal time and was paid for all hours worked. No harm, no foul.

StopCount

I was called into the office a given a warning letter for failing to take meal meal as directed, yet the package drivers get away with it.

Taking your lunch in feeder is required because of DOT laws, in package it is not...

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"

Taking your lunch in feeder is required because of DOT laws, in package it is not...
The thing I don't understand is on mileage runs you only have to log a 1 minute meal. If your run is hourly you get charged for a half hour regardless if it's 5 minutes or 30 minutes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Terms and conditions within a contract are not law.

Did I say they were? :wink2: My point is, UPS will follow the rules generally if its state or federal law but if it's language in a contract, forget about it!

City Driver

something i wonder about

if a package car driver, or any driver for that matter, works through their lunch, and has an accident or injury during that time, what happens?

im pretty sure they will be severely punished, if not fired

JonFrum

Terms and conditions within a contract are not law.
They are not legislated Law, but they are contract Law. And some provisions are, in fact, restatements of legislated Law.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

They are not legislated Law, but they are contract Law. And some provisions are, in fact, restatements of legislated Law.

To clarify what I was saying:
There are no laws within a contract.
There are only terms and conditions.
The parties covered by a contract have legal rights to pursue transgressions against the T&C of the contract or through agreed upon means to resolve disagreements, such as arbitrators.
Many people seem to think the terms and conditions are laws but they are not.
I have not heard of any person being arrested because they "broke" the terms of a contract.

New Englander

I couldn't disagree more with the lockout but I do agree that driver's should not be working through their lunches. If a driver has something to do that evening he can request to run Code 5 and not record a lunch so that he can get done early but those requests are normally turned down. I have to admit that I have set up my route to where taking lunch between noon and 1, while possible, would be difficult. I actually prefer to fiinish my deliveries and the first round of pickups before taking my lunch and break and then finishing the pickups on the way back to the center.

Code 5 should be done away with. It's a crap tool used by management when they over dispatch.

When I find out one driver got a code 5, I don't take a lunch for a week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Code 5 should be done away with. It's a crap tool used by management when they over dispatch.

When I find out one driver got a code 5, I don't take a lunch for a week.

Recording lunch here is mandatory and failure to do so will result in a warning letter (we have had 2 that I know of). Code 5 let's you work for hours so that you can get done and get to your function on time. Code 5's require DM approval in our district. Code 5's have nothing to do with over dispatch.

JonFrum

To clarify what I was saying:
There are no laws within a contract.
There are only terms and conditions.
The parties covered by a contract have legal rights to pursue transgressions against the T&C of the contract or through agreed upon means to resolve disagreements, such as arbitrators.
Many people seem to think the terms and conditions are laws but they are not.
I have not heard of any person being arrested because they "broke" the terms of a contract.
Hoax, there are criminal laws and there are civil laws. Breaking a criminal law may get you arrested, but only if a police officer personally witnesses the offense, or there is a Warrant out for your arrest. Many criminals are just called into court without being arrested. Others are never even caught.

Contract law is a part of civil law. It's against the law to violate the Contract's provisions, and there is an alphabet soup of government agencies that enforce these laws. But usually the violation must be reported. The agencies don't normally go looking for violators the way police cruise the streets.

Some provisions of the Contract only apply to the parties to the Contract. These provisions have the "force of law" even if you are uncomfortable calling them actual law.
- - - - -
You got this from the "Pirates Of The Caribean", didn't you?

PIRATE: "The Pirate's Code demands Hoaster walk the plank!!! We must follow the Code!!!"

HOAXTER: "Not so fast gentlemen. Besides, I've always thought of the Code more as just a set of . . . guidelines.":wink2: