I Refuse to believe that not one has a positive thought about FedEx.

Grounded

Maybe it's just me but FedEx has always treated me fairly. Sure it sucks at times and my climb up parts of the ladder have been tough, but come on.... this either is a unfair sample or all people on forums do nothing but complain about work. I'm not saying some complaints aren't valid but... Every single post?! I've got maybe 5% of drivers at my station that have a complaint. I'm ground, but I'm high enough up to know a bit about express.

bbsam

Staff member
I understand where the Express is coming from. It's not that it's bad, but it used to be alot better. Times have changed and that's not always easy. Of course they are flat out wrong when they blame Ground and their attitudes toward ground are terrible but so what? We do have improvements to make in order to become more profitable for everyone at Ground. So while they scheme and plot to try to regain something that is forever gone, we work and strive to become more efficient, more professional, and to increase market share. As bad as Ground can be at times, I think our direction, attitude, and future make Ground the better opco to work for right now.

MAKAVELI

Maybe it's just me but FedEx has always treated me fairly. Sure it sucks at times and my climb up parts of the ladder have been tough, but come on.... this either is a unfair sample or all people on forums do nothing but complain about work. I'm not saying some complaints aren't valid but... Every single post?! I've got maybe 5% of drivers at my station that have a complaint. I'm ground, but I'm high enough up to know a bit about express.
I think you have got to stop drinking the kool aide. I think you're 5% is actually the percentage of drivers that are happy and content.

Nick9075

I think you have got to stop drinking the kool aide. I think you're 5% is actually the percentage of drivers that are happy and content.

I honestly will say that I do not have a positive thought about ground. As a contractor you have alot more to lose especially if your workers perform pooly. It is hard to find qualified people and $800-$1000 for a driver and $650 for helper is at the top of the range. I have seen job posts fir fedex ground drivers paying $600 a week. In this world you get what you pay for
But contractors receive absolutely nothing from FXG in terms of training or support but thr managers are on your butt if someone brings back too many packages or any type of customer complain.
The OP mentioned some type of ladder. Seriously is there even an iota of opportunity to advance with the company?

Grounded

I honestly will say that I do not have a positive thought about ground. As a contractor you have alot more to lose especially if your workers perform pooly. It is hard to find qualified people and $800-$1000 for a driver and $650 for helper is at the top of the range. I have seen job posts fir fedex ground drivers paying $600 a week. In this world you get what you pay for
But contractors receive absolutely nothing from FXG in terms of training or support but thr managers are on your butt if someone brings back too many packages or any type of customer complain.
The OP mentioned some type of ladder. Seriously is there even an iota of opportunity to advance with the company?

There is unlimited opportunity, many drivers have become employees and have moved up. I understand the difficulties finding people who will work for that wage, but as you/ if you expand it becomes more feasible. Many contractors make a very, very livable wage.

Nick9075

There is unlimited opportunity, many drivers have become employees and have moved up. I understand the difficulties finding people who will work for that wage, but as you/ if you expand it becomes more feasible. Many contractors make a very, very livable wage.

Unlimited opportunity? In ground? Seriously or do you mean at express where they give real benefits. Very livable wage? People think I should be but Iive very hand to mouth even with three routes plus one supplemental. And backstabbing runs supreme, people will set you up to see you fail and lose your investment.

Grounded

Unlimited opportunity? In ground? Seriously or do you mean at express where they give real benefits. Very livable wage? People think I should be but Iive very hand to mouth even with three routes plus one supplemental. And backstabbing runs supreme, people will set you up to see you fail and lose your investment.

Not the in district where I work. We strive to see people succeed, and reap the benefits of their investments.

Nick9075

Not the in district where I work. We strive to see people succeed, and reap the benefits of their investments.

I would love to know what district this is because it sure is not that way where I am. The BS, backstabbing, always having investment hanging over your head? Well that is fine if you are working in a regular job but not when you have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars and spent alot more money on maintenance, insurance, taxes, tolls and gas.. Am I paranoid? maybe but I have working for over 20 years and usually pretty accurate. I tell my drivers that they are only hurting themselves if they screw up. I can sell and realize sizable gain and get back into accounting and finance. Many there will be stuck in low paying, dead end jobs for life and probably depending on the generosity of the federal and state government

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The one positive thing about FedEx is the way you'll feel when you quit.

Epoisode7

I worked in a terminal of manly blue collar men. And me. We all did our jobs, and we all despised fedex, whether it was at the management level, the contractor level, the customer level, low pay, long hours, no benefits, vehicle break downs, or just the sheer physical labor. 100% of us had a negative view of fedex.

Nick9075

The one positive thing about FedEx is the way you'll feel when you quit.

They love people like the above - probably younger than 30, believes what people say and is probably one of the few who is buddy buddy with the senior manager and P&D managers
Those two have to sign off on contract renewal since in HD contract is only for one or two years. There is lots cronyism, such that they won't renew someones contract so they can give those routes to a buddy contractor, friend etc...

fedex435

It's a pretty good job. Even better if you started 15 years ago (express) when you actually reached max pay in a short time and had a good pension plan. I'll never max out and only worked for a few years under the traditional pension. Over half of the couriers at my station don't care about anyone except themselves, unwilling to help anybody out when needed. Management needs to quit treating all of the couriers the same and realize that there are productive workers that take pride in doing a good job and care about the customer and there are couriers that are lazy and think that they have earned the right not to do a damn thing. Pay the productive workers accordingly and cut the fat by letting the lazy ones go....

Nick9075

I understand where the Express is coming from. It's not that it's bad, but it used to be alot better. Times have changed and that's not always easy. Of course they are flat out wrong when they blame Ground and their attitudes toward ground are terrible but so what? We do have improvements to make in order to become more profitable for everyone at Ground. So while they scheme and plot to try to regain something that is forever gone, we work and strive to become more efficient, more professional, and to increase market share. As bad as Ground can be at times, I think our direction, attitude, and future make Ground the better opco to work for right now.

Seriously, you have to be kidding?? "Direction, Attitude & Future"?? meaning what screw the contractor & customer?? make ground the btter OPCO to work for right now? yes, if you have no other job options, many workers in my terminal would probably never last a day in many other places and certainly not in any type of white collar position

bbsam

Staff member
What is it with you Nick? I have said many, many times that you and I have had vastly different experiences with Ground and its management. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

hypo hanna

We have the anonymity of the Internet to safely express our views of FedEx. Even if we sugar coated something that could be construed as a negative to management, we would become a target. Maybe only 5% of drivers at your ground location feel safe enough to speak up. There could be a lot more you don't know about.

Grounded

We have the anonymity of the Internet to safely express our views of FedEx. Even if we sugar coated something that could be construed as a negative to management, we would become a target. Maybe only 5% of drivers at your ground location feel safe enough to speak up. There could be a lot more you don't know about.

The thing about ground is, you don't have to pretend to like FedEx as a driver. if you don't like it, you can just say that. Drivers don't work for us. I've got one driver that says he hates FedEx every few weeks.

bbsam

Staff member
I let management know frequently about policies I find to be complete BS. I Don't feel the least bit restrained about it either.