I refuse....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I refuse to participate in the insane consumerism of Black Friday.

I refuse to miss out on time with family and lose sleep in order to save insignificant amounts of money on meaningless consumer items.

I refuse to be treated like an ignorant head of cattle by large corporations. I refuse to be herded into a chute in order to have revenue extracted from me and sent overseas. I refuse to buy into the notion of self-worth through excessive consumption.

I refuse to subject myself to the risk of being trampled, assaulted, injured or even killed in a department store parking lot at 4:00 AM just because wealthy CEO's have figured out how to cynically manipulate our society into thinking that such behavior should be a normal and expected part of the Christmas holiday.

I might work on Black Friday. I might sleep in and watch sports on Black Friday. I might go deer hunting, or hang Christmas decorations, or even do some gift shopping at the small, locally-owned businesses in my community on Black Friday. But I REFUSE to subject myself to the greed, the stupidity, and the insane consumerism of Black Friday.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I refuse to get caught up in the shopping......and all the germs out there. Gift cards are at the grocery stores....6:00 am openings and checks are in my checkbook........ and the internet is full of shopping and free shipping.
The crowds and confusion and worry about what to get 'so and so' is in the past.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I just crack up when i see people doing thing by the "NORM", to myself im like, cant you think outside your robot box. Me personally aint no monkeysee monkey doing here, i do what i want and how i want to do things and dont care if it dont follow the norm. Its like ill do something at work that goes against the grain and somebody will ask how did you come up with that idea? Ill be like cause i can think outside the robot box unlike some of the programmed robots up in here lmfao.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I did the Black Friday thing one time. My daughter wanted a sewing machine and Walmart had the one that she wanted for 50% off. I went there a few minutes before they opened and was appalled at what I saw. There were metal barriers, like at a music festival, and state police for crowd control. I was able to get in, get the sewing machine, get out and go home. Never again.

I write two checks for $500 each for Christmas. There are some on this forum who criticized me for doing so but my "kids" are 27 and 30 and I would much rather that they get something that they want (or need) rather me "screwing it up".

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In my family we made an agreement that we wouldn't buy each other gifts anymore (I'm talking mom/dad and siblings, Ms Jones still gets her loot), it makes things a lot simpler and takes a lot of stress out of the holiday season.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my family we made an agreement that we wouldn't buy each other gifts anymore (I'm talking mom/dad and siblings, Ms Jones still gets her loot), it makes things a lot simpler and takes a lot of stress out of the holiday season.

When we were married and the kids were young we bought one small present for each other and focused on the kids. My family didn't exchange gifts. Her family drew names out of a hat.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Sometimes I've thought about going out not to actually buy anything. Just stand by and watch the show.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I don't participate in black friday because it's racist, and the title offends me deeply.

People have created this whole situation, by lining up year after year earlier and earlier into Thanksgiving itself. So, retailers might as well open earlier and cash in on all the morons waiting for hours. Until people STOP waiting in line for these "good deals" the retailers will just give them what they want.

The only shopping I do on black friday is the wife and I go to our local Christmas tree farm and cut down our tree and then typically go grab some lunch. Although yesterday we stopped by the local baby consignment shop for some clothes for my princess :) No electronics, no Walmart, none of that BS

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was able "to watch" this afternoon. I went to Lowes with hubby to pick the color for our front door......he's stripped it and it was glossy black.....now it's glossy hunter green.
The are selling out fast of the Christmas decorations. The trees are already on sale and it is't even December yet.
We passed Michaels on our way out and they were packed!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I have to admit I'm giving into the greed (but not the stupidity and consumerism)... by working the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after Thanksgiving. I'll be working seven days a week and pulling doubles until Christmas Eve. Part timers gotta get it while they can, I'll be back to 25 hours a week come February. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the work. The suckers shopping like sheep=money in my pocket, hopefully more of them will stay home and shop online.