I retired end of Oct, 2015. Am I entitled to vacation & option days earned for the year 2016?

larryp1644

I retired Oct 31, 2015. Am I entitled to vacation and option days earned for the year 2016? My local HR has not been much help in this matter

upschuck

I don't believe you get anything paid out, here. That is why we get a lot of retirements at the beginning of the year, after they take all their vacations, etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't believe you get anything paid out, here. That is why we get a lot of retirements at the beginning of the year, after they take all their vacations, etc.

We work this year to get next year's vacations so the OP should get his 2016 vacations; however, I am not sure if he would get all of them or just the weeks before his seniority date.

You have to work at least one day in the year to get your personal and sick days for that year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had a bunch just retire, but officially they are on vacation right now, never coming back.

Will they hold off on bidding their routes until they clear the system "just in case" they change their minds?

I don't recall a single retiree, FT or PT, in my center who has ever changed their mind.

upschuck

We work this year to get next year's vacations so the OP should get his 2016 vacations; however, I am not sure if he would get all of them or just the weeks before his seniority date.

You have to work at least one day in the year to get your personal and sick days for that year.
Here, if you don't use them, you lose them. A way to make you work one last peak.

upschuck

Will they hold off on bidding their routes until they clear the system "just in case" they change their minds?

I don't recall a single retiree, FT or PT, in my center who has ever changed their mind.
Yes they do. Had a few people who they miscalculated their time, and had to come back for a couple days/weeks after vacation over.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here some retire at the beginning of January but take all their vacation then so officially they don't retire until mid Feb. For pension credit you only need to work until about October to get credit for the full year but you need to stick around until after Christmas if you want that extra vacation money too.

hardcharger

So why choose option 3 then? Can't u just chose the option of the extra week or the pay ? I would think to take all your weeks in October of your last year and you'd still get paid your vacations for the following year. Correct??

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Yes they do. Had a few people who they miscalculated their time, and had to come back for a couple days/weeks after vacation over.

If you are still being paid for vacation/personal/sick days, you are still technically an employee, and your route can't be put up for bid.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Here you have to work thru the end of Nov to get all of the following year's vacation weeks paid out. I left in April and got my 25th year extra week. They also paid out all my sick bank and optionals, and paid all my health/vision/dental bennies through June. I took all my weeks in April and May plus got retirement checks for both months, since I was not technically working.
You really want to plan ahead.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here you have to work thru the end of Nov to get all of the following year's vacation weeks paid out. I left in April and got my 25th year extra week. They also paid out all my sick bank and optionals, and paid all my health/vision/dental bennies through June. I took all my weeks in April and May plus got retirement checks for both months, since I was not technically working.

You should not have received pension checks while technically on vacation.

I don't know if we can do that here. That's an excellent plan if you can do it. They will pay us for next year's vacation but you must use up all of you optional time or it will be deducted from your pension check.