I See This A Lot

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Every other Friday (when it is warm) when my run is complete I unload my pickups and grab a hose and wash out the rear package area.I hate working with dust(I know chose wrong profession) and by the time Monday comes around its all dry.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I had a country run and my pkg car hadn't been cleaned in a while (peanuts/dirt) I would simply open the bulkhead door and the O/H door and drive down some back road at a good clip and let the wind clean out my pkg car. I also do this on one of the back roads of the former AFB--very effective, if not exactly environmentally conscious.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
When I had a country run and my pkg car hadn't been cleaned in a while (peanuts/dirt) I would simply open the bulkhead door and the O/H door and drive down some back road at a good clip and let the wind clean out my pkg car. I also do this on one of the back roads of the former AFB--very effective, if not exactly environmentally conscious.
Wouldn't this cause it to get dusty in there?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I can't believe some of you guys are either to paranoid to spend 15 min during the week to wash your windows and sweep out the back of the cars!!! is the the new generation were everything has to be done for you!! we are talking about cleaning up your personal space here,I'm sure no one would get fired for that. No need to do it on lunch or breaks,I used to grab a hose on my rte once a week to at least wash out the crap in the cab!! in feedres the give you a button to hit for a wash too!!! love that new attitude from this generation If it aint done for me I'm not doing it! must be the same people who go to apt buildings and only ring one buzzer!!!!!! lazy lazy slobs

steeltoe

I can't believe some of you guys are either to paranoid to spend 15 min during the week to wash your windows and sweep out the back of the cars!!! is the the new generation were everything has to be done for you!! we are talking about cleaning up your personal space here,I'm sure no one would get fired for that. No need to do it on lunch or breaks,I used to grab a hose on my rte once a week to at least wash out the crap in the cab!! in feedres the give you a button to hit for a wash too!!! love that new attitude from this generation If it aint done for me I'm not doing it! must be the same people who go to apt buildings and only ring one buzzer!!!!!! lazy lazy slobs

I am not sure how your building operates, but your suggestion is taking possible work away from the carwash. If you have an automatic carwash, then fine, you can complain about lazy people, but if your center does not have an automated carwash, then you are taking work away from a bidded hourly position. 15 minutes per week for 100 drivers is a part-time job. If I am wrong about your center, then I appolize in advance, if not, then I suggest we as hourly employee's start filing grievances under "clean and maintained vehicles".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem with your line of thinking is that many centers are cutting the hours that the carwash is allowed to work, thereby more and more pkg cars are simply not being washed as often as they should.

outamyway

In my center you would probably get disciplined for using that 15 minutes on the clock cleaning your own truck.

"Stealing time?"
"You bet, we have car washers."
"But they do a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ty job."
"Too bad. We don't pay you $28.15 and hour to wash your car."

I can in-vision something like that. There is an upper here sic twisted enough to do it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure how your building operates, but your suggestion is taking possible work away from the carwash. If you have an automatic carwash, then fine, you can complain about lazy people, but if your center does not have an automated carwash, then you are taking work away from a bidded hourly position. 15 minutes per week for 100 drivers is a part-time job. If I am wrong about your center, then I appolize in advance, if not, then I suggest we as hourly employee's start filing grievances under "clean and maintained vehicles".

When I started this Thread, the intent was to comment about the company policy of cutting back on the hours of the Carwashers in my building so that they don't have enough time to do their job. I have since found out that we have about eight Carwash folks, most of them shift cars and only one actually washes 140+ vehicles and is supposed to check the oil and coolant too. Back when I started in the Atlanta Hub, we had a carwash that we would drive through when we returned to the building. My Center moved to a newer Hub, and they just have hoses they hook up and would try to wash them. The last couple of years, it has just got pitiful because of the company wants to save a few hours instead of letting these guys who want to do their job actually do it.

This has nothing to do with people "being lazy". This has to do with the company no longer caring about how our vehicles look. We used to have pride in the way our trucks appearred in public. I would be happy to wash it myself if I could. A couple of times I have pulled the front of my P7 into a do it yourself wash near my area and sprayed my cab out. My P7 is too tall to pull into the stall, so I can't wash all of it. We used have to have a hose outside our shop, but it was removed. Every time I have attended a Safety Meeting for the last 20+ years, I have suggested that the company add some buckets and squeegees next to our fuel pumps so we could keep our windshields clean per contract. "That sounds like a great idea!" I am told, but it never gets done. This is a cheap fix, too.

UPS hounds us about safety, but when it comes down to it, guess what my conclusion is. :dissapointed:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
STEELTOE>>>>> in no way am I implying that we should steal work from the carwashers,all im saying is that some of these guys won't wash the inside and out side windows and mirrors or clean off the dash and sweep the dust and crap out of the back of their own pkg cars.They cant fire you if you do that its only15 min total out of the week to keep your own work space neat!!!!! let the washers do the outside of the car!! I would think it would be a saftey issue to drive with dirty windows !!!! any mngmnt want to reply to that????

sx2700

Banned
We've been able to do a fair job of washing cars at our center. Now they tell us that we only have about 40 minutes per person for wash now. That gives us enough time to get the windows, mirrors, and cameras clean........maybe. I say maybe because we have to sit around for 30 to 40 minutes each night waiting for the cars to come in so we have to log that time as wash time, but there are no cars to wash because they are cutting routes and sending drivers out heavy. In case you haven't caught on yet.....we have a new supervisor at our center.

S

speeddemon

have u guys ever thought of washing ur own trucks ????????? we do(on the clock of course)if ya want something done ya gotta do it ur self!!!!!!!!!!

No you ignorant doofus. Per the contract, you not suppose to wash that truck. I work enough hours. The reload should just do its job, or fire the current staff and get some people that will do the job they were hired to do.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
ok, under timecard, right after your time OUT is a "W" with the option of y or n gives you 4 mins in your daily plan to wash your windows, feel free to be safe and keep your window and cameras clean. the outside is on management. They want it dirty so br it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
ok, under timecard, right after your time OUT is a "W" with the option of y or n gives you 4 mins in your daily plan to wash your windows, feel free to be safe and keep your window and cameras clean. the outside is on management. They want it dirty so br it.
I didn't know this!!!!

sx2700

Banned
No you ignorant doofus. Per the contract, you not suppose to wash that truck. I work enough hours. The reload should just do its job, or fire the current staff and get some people that will do the job they were hired to do.

Have you not been reading the posts in this thread? They cut the car wash hours so the people that are supposed to be washing are unable to get it done.

feeder53

ADKtrails
In feeders, we are to wash our trucks after every shift, there is a spot on the payrol for it also. But I have been issued a tractor that was filthy during the winter months.