I shot a 4-point buck today! Pics!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a 200-acre vineyard/winery on my route that the owner has given me permission to hunt deer on. Normally I bowhunt, but this year I drew an additional tag for rifle season. High-powered rifles are a no-no with the owner, so I used a shotgun. I took this nice 4-point Columbia Blacktail buck with a slug from my 12-gauge shotgun at about 55 yards. The rut is just starting, and this buck was a little more interested in the doe that he was following than in the guy wearing camoflage who was following him. I have never used a shotgun for deer hunting, and I was impressed with the performance of the slug; I put it through one shoulder and it went out right behind the other shoulder with minimal loss of meat, and he ran less than 50 feet before dropping. It was a nice, clean, humane kill and I will get him back from the butcher next weekend. Backstrap---GOOD!
PB010141.jpg

chev

Nightcrawler
There is a 200-acre vineyard/winery on my route that the owner has given me permission to hunt deer on. Normally I bowhunt, but this year I drew an additional tag for rifle season. High-powered rifles are a no-no with the owner, so I used a shotgun. I took this nice 4-point Columbia Blacktail buck with a slug from my 12-gauge shotgun at about 55 yards. The rut is just starting, and this buck was a little more interested in the doe that he was following than in the guy wearing camoflage who was following him. I have never used a shotgun for deer hunting, and I was impressed with the performance of the slug; I put it through one shoulder and it went out right behind the other shoulder with minimal loss of meat, and he ran less than 50 feet before dropping. It was a nice, clean, humane kill and I will get him back from the butcher next weekend. Backstrap---GOOD!

MMMMMM Deer jerky.
Pretty buck. You mounting the head?

socoz71

Congrats thats a good looking deer. Don't know when the rut starts out there but its in full swing right now here in SC. So far all I've shot was a fat doe, but hopefully that will change this weekend.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Nice buck but from your picture it looks to be more than a 4 point unless they count them different out your way than we do in Pennsylania.

soberups

Nice buck but from your picture it looks to be more than a 4 point unless they count them different out your way than we do in Pennsylania.

We only count the points on one side, including the brow tine if its big enough to hang a ring from. You guys would call this one an 8-pointer, here we call it a 4 pointer.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
We only count the points on one side, including the brow tine if its big enough to hang a ring from. You guys would call this one an 8-pointer, here we call it a 4 pointer.

Thanks for the West Coast hunting lesson! I'm sure the Backstrap(jerky I presume) will be gone by Christmas Eve!

soberups

Thanks for the West Coast hunting lesson! I'm sure the Backstrap(jerky I presume) will be gone by Christmas Eve!

Making backstrap into jerky would be sacrilege. Backstrap is the finest meat on God's green earth. The only proper way to eat backstrap is to pan fry it in a bit of olive oil with a touch of seasoning salt.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Making backstrap into jerky would be sacrilege. Backstrap is the finest meat on God's green earth. The only proper way to eat backstrap is to pan fry it in a bit of olive oil with a touch of seasoning salt.

Thank you for correcting me, I should know better.

I think there should be a BC party in Oregon to help you with the venison. For those on a low fat diet you can't it!

soberups

Thank you for correcting me, I should know better.

I think there should be a BC party in Oregon to help you with the venison. For those on a low fat diet you can't it!

It sucks when you can barely fit 1/3 of an elk and an entire deer in your freezer. My wife had to rearrange all of our frozen vegetables so that I could fit all the meat in there.:wink2: I still have an unused archery tag left, so next weekend I'm going to take my bow and try to get another one. My freezer is going to look like a P-500 the week before Christmas!
1115081030[1].jpg