I Smell A Thief, I Think.

It's not our contract with UPS that everyone is thinking of. It is our oath that we give to the union, our pledge.

I,_______________, pledge my honor to faithfully observe the constitution and laws of the IBT and the laws and bylaws of this local Union.

I pledge that I will comply with all the rules and regulations for the government of the International Union and this local Union.

I will faithfully perform all the duties assigned to me to the best of my ability and skill.

I will conduct myself in a manner as not to bring reproach upon my Union.

I shall take affirmative part in the business and activities of the Union and accept and discharge my responsibilities during any authorized strike or lockout.

I pledge to not divulge to non-members the private business of this Union, unless authorized to reveal the same.

I will never knowingly harm a fellow member.

I will never discriminate against a fellow worker on account of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or physical disability.

I will refrain from any conduct that would interfere with Union's preformance of its legal or contractual obligations.

I will at all times bear true and faithful allegiance to the IBT and this local Union.

What if...just if that fellow member stole your check and cashed it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

These are the Laws of Teamsters as put forth by Issac Asimov

0. A Teamster may not injure humanity, or, through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
1. Teamsters must never harm Teamsters or, through inaction, allow a Teamster to come to harm.
2. Teamsters must follow instructions from Teamsters without violating rule 1.
3. Teamsters must protect themselves without violating the other rules.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dude, you don't have to question me on this. I don't like thieves and liars. As far as I am concerned I would be bringing reproach upon my Union if I didn't report an act of dishonesty. And I personally feel that if the my Union had a problem with my reporting such dishonesty then they don't deserve to have me as a member. Stealing is wrong, a thief does not belong in my Union.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Steven, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. There really isn't any point in asking the same thing over and over. Union or non-union.

upsgrunt

Dude, you don't have to question me on this. I don't like thieves and liars. As far as I am concerned I would be bringing reproach upon my Union if I didn't report an act of dishonesty. And I personally feel that if the my Union had a problem with my reporting such dishonesty then they don't deserve to have me as a member. Stealing is wrong, a thief does not belong in my Union.

Agreed
The 10 commandments trump the "union code" any time, any place, and any day.

upscorpis

If they are a thief, they are stealing the trust of our customers. There is nothing more important than our customers' trust. Without that, our company will not exist.

UPSNewbie

What about reporting corruption or wrongdoing to the Independent Review Board concerning corruption in the Union itself?
Can you only "rat out" a union "brother" if they are stealing from the union?

Apparently not, if you follow the "oath" so blindly. :funny: (Not aimed at you)

Those who responded to my post, it was sarcasm. Don't give a damn who they're affiliated with--if they're stealing, then peace out.

Thanks for posting this Dilli.

This is saying we should not steal from the company or customers, this would bring reproach upon the union. Is this as obvious to everyone as it is to me?

It could be said that by reporting a fellow member for theft you could well be helping him. By reporting him you could be shutting down a life long habit of theft. That would not be harming him, but stopping him for harming himself.

S

speeddemon

Its very simple, if your stealing, its wrong. And if you don't report it, your just as guilty in my book.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Steven, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. There really isn't any point in asking the same thing over and over. Union or non-union.
He's not really asking the same thing over and over. Whenever there are posts that don't support his viewpoint he adds a little different info.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks for posting this Dilli.

This is saying we should not steal from the company or customers, this would bring reproach upon the union. Is this as obvious to everyone as it is to me?
It is to me. That is the reason I hilited it.
It could be said that by reporting a fellow member for theft you could well be helping him. By reporting him you could be shutting down a life long habit of theft. That would not be harming him, but stopping him for harming himself.
Not only helping him, but helping everyone else. Company, customers, employees.............everyone. By not reporting it aren't you causing harm to others.

P

pickup

These are the Laws of Teamsters as put forth by Issac Asimov

0. A Teamster may not injure humanity, or, through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
1. Teamsters must never harm Teamsters or, through inaction, allow a Teamster to come to harm.
2. Teamsters must follow instructions from Teamsters without violating rule 1.
3. Teamsters must protect themselves without violating the other rules.

More applicable than you might think. Once Asimov introduced the concept of the three laws of robotics. His latter stories dealt a lot of times with robot (with their positronic brains) and how they had to deal with these three laws and the conditions that put them in quandray. Once , in a while their positronic brains would fry as a result of not satisfying all three laws or they would put themselves in an frozen position to try to satisfy all three the best they could.(For example, one step closer to save the human, but the lava between human and robot will melt the robot, one step back and then first law takes precedence over 3rd law(self preservation), right where he is frozen in place is where both laws weigh equally in his brain)

It looks like Steve is in a frozen position. If he pulls the trigger and drops the dime, and things aren't what they seem and things go wrong, his brain might fry. If he does nothing ,then a supposed thief could continue his merry ways and screw customers and bring more ill repute upon ups drivers

rocket man

STEVE YOUR A A##### now you say hes not in union. you dont have the nads to talk to him or her on the side. yiur just as guilty.