I spent the entire work shift at the hospital today

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I hope UPS pays you very well. I wasn't taught too sit down and cry every time you have a little pain which is why I went back to work. You talk like I wanted to sue them or something. I admire your post though because your not afraid to insult someone when you feel they should be insulted, but it's also sad that because of that you will not get very far in life. Probably not in UPS either.

Thanks to everyone else though for your feedback.
Mr. B

First, I am glad to see the rep thing was fixed. Sorry about that.

Second, I think everyone here is just trying to get you to understand this basic premise when working for UPS. Don't ever trust the company to have your back. I promise you they won't. It is important that you understand that whenever injury is invovled the company will use whatever excuse they can to get out of paying for it. I wish I could give you the name and number of one of our drivers that went out on an injury last week. Or the name of the one that had an ankle injury 4 weeks ago. It is imperative that you report any and all on the job injuries when they happen, even if you don't think it is of any consequence.

drewed

Shankman
well youre crying about it in your post, so going to the doctor was painful enough to say something about it, but your health wasnt?
ok im in the wrong because i find it to be common sense, that if you have a progression of pain, you stop the activity and find out what is wrong.

So if that lady, using your logic hadnt suggested going to the dr, you would have worked until you woke up one morning and couldnt walk. or would you have tried to suck it up and not cry about it then to?

its that kind of common sense that people die from heart attacks because they think the pressure in their chest in indigestion.

drewed

Shankman
Mr. B

First, I am glad to see the rep thing was fixed. Sorry about that.

Second, I think everyone here is just trying to get you to understand this basic premise when working for UPS. Don't ever trust the company to have your back. I promise you they won't. It is important that you understand that whenever injury is invovled the company will use whatever excuse they can to get out of paying for it. I wish I could give you the name and number of one of our drivers that went out on an injury last week. Or the name of the one that had an ankle injury 4 weeks ago. It is imperative that you report any and all on the job injuries when they happen, even if you don't think it is of any consequence.

Exactly Dilli
But its a two edged blade, as much as the company tries to get out of paying, you also get the people that quickly in this thread suggest saying it happened today instead of yesterday...yea you probably could get away with it. but all it takes is one person to say oh jonny was complaining about his back yesterday and its insurance fruad.i care about my employees and they know if they had the inclination they did something to say something, it could be something small like jamming your finger but if it turns out ot be broken its on me since you told me. at UPS the name of the game is CYA, im thinking about writng a book bc theres a lot to learn.
Nu

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Exactly Dilli
But its a two edged blade, as much as the company tries to get out of paying, you also get the people that quickly in this thread suggest saying it happened today instead of yesterday...yea you probably could get away with it. but all it takes is one person to say oh jonny was complaining about his back yesterday and its insurance fruad.i care about my employees and they know if they had the inclination they did something to say something, it could be something small like jamming your finger but if it turns out ot be broken its on me since you told me. at UPS the name of the game is CYA, im thinking about writng a book bc theres a lot to learn.
Nu
Drew, unfortunately there are those that lack in "Ethics and Personal Responsibility". All I can say is, "I hope that the majority does not fall into this category.".

mr_bennet

well youre crying about it in your post, so going to the doctor was painful enough to say something about it, but your health wasnt?
ok im in the wrong because i find it to be common sense, that if you have a progression of pain, you stop the activity and find out what is wrong.

So if that lady, using your logic hadnt suggested going to the dr, you would have worked until you woke up one morning and couldnt walk. or would you have tried to suck it up and not cry about it then to?

its that kind of common sense that people die from heart attacks because they think the pressure in their chest in indigestion.

If you feel that I should have said something right away instead of trying to see if the pain was enough to keep me from working then that's all you had to say. I had every intention of seeing the doctor on my own accord if the pain would have continued. You should really get to know the facts before making judgments. There was no need for childish insults. It really speaks a lot about your character.

Dealing with people like you is probably one of the many reasons UPS is always hiring.

US0352

Feeder
Dealing with people like you is probably one of the many reasons UPS is always hiring.

That's one of the best things I have heard. But yet, he will never have any problems at UPS but we have to put up with bs from people like him all day long. And just so you know, remember as long as you are at UPS, when ever something goes bad, mgmnt will throw you under the bus 100% of the time. Including injuries.

hyena

If you feel that I should have said something right away instead of trying to see if the pain was enough to keep me from working then that's all you had to say. I had every intention of seeing the doctor on my own accord if the pain would have continued. You should really get to know the facts before making judgments. There was no need for childish insults. It really speaks a lot about your character.

Its funny how some people are so quick to judge. I had surgery for a hernia not to long ago so I can feel where your coming from here. Its definitly not fun! I ended up paying for it (through the insurance). My manager insisted that I did it on my own time and it didnt happen at work all though I lift packages all day! (No it couldnt have happened at work! What ever would give anyone this idea?) But since I didnt file the precautionary when I felt a little bit of pain (didnt know it was seirous enough) then I deffinitly didnt do it at work.
With my hernia, pain was felt randomly. It was never consistent. Im not the kind of person to whine about a little pain. (All though in this case I should have).
The only thing I can think is some of these people try so hard to cover there ass then maybe next time we have a headache we should file a precautionary.
These managers they dont want people who whine yet when you try to tuff things out or you dont realize how bad you are injured you are wrong!
Im starting to think theres nothing you can do. We have to be accountable. Its always our fault. There hypocricy knows no bounds!

over9five

Staff member
It's hard for someone with a good work ethic to report some small pain that he feels will probably go away.

Can you imagine if every worker reported every time:

1. A splinter

2. A small cut

3. A stretched muscle

4. A blister

5. A scrape

Technically, we should. Technically, we have to! Any one of these things could turn ugly the next day! Scrapes, cuts, splinters, blisters can all become infected. Stretched muscles can become torn muscles.
But can you imagine all the paperwork?? Most of these small things will heal just fine on their own.

UPS should TRUST their people when they say, "I hurt myself at work yesterday, but I thought it would be alright".

And I think it's insane UPS would deny a hernia. Hyena, didn't the insurance company fight it? I would imagine they would feel it was a workers comp case.

sx2700

Banned

Everybody is a tough guy on the internet. You'll find a lot of members on here that use this forum to get all puffed up and vent things they can't in their real world because they have no real power (PT supervisors). Most people on here are probably decent people but come across as a-holes, and of course some people are simply a-holes. Drewed is always saying how he cares about his employees and that they respect him, but is insulting people on this forum every chance he gets. Basically, don't let people you don't know get your feathers ruffled.

hyena

nope the doctors never asked. I think when I finally went to the doctor it was like a month of two after it had happened but like I said the pain was random sometimes it would hurt when I would be laying down or when I was walking. There was not one specific thing that triggered it really weird. It took awhile the pain wasnt always strong either but toward the end it got bad.

Bad Gas!

Although injuries should be reported right away, you don't always know if you can just sleep it off and rest a couple of days.I know plenty of over 40-50 year old drivers that have back-knee issues and they report heathy for duty to make some money-pay the bills..But that knee-back that's acked for some time could pull,pop, bend, brake and you are a work comp injury.If you show up good to go for work and your progressive injury takes you out...it's work comp...This is law in some states..
On another issue,mgt will always hassle you on safty violations.But according to the contract they are not allowed to hasle you over a work comp injury and could be sued or grieved for it....They should know when to stop and say "I hope you get better soon with the right treatment I had a clear MRI this year.Then also a second MRI with a dye agent (contrast MRI) showed a torn meniscus...If you have pain you know your not making it up..You just want to get it fixed and back to work..

drewed

Shankman
You guys can think whatever you want of me.

But the fact stands
1. He had a previous injury
2. He didn't go see the doctor on his own accord when the pained progressed
3.Hes complaining that the sups questioned him and he had to spend all day at the dr, when in this day of age, its suspicious to come to an employer after the fact and say you have an injury.

This ducks ready to jump ship, I dont know why everyone is defending him.
Ok maybe idiot wasnt the proper word, but there was a lacking of common sense of his part.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
But the fact stands
1. He had a previous injury
2. He didn't go see the doctor on his own accord when the pained progressed
3.Hes complaining that the sups questioned him and he had to spend all day at the dr, when in this day of age, its suspicious to come to an employer after the fact and say you have an injury.

This is common sense, related to UPS or any other employ for that matter.

Since it makes sense, you are no longer allowed to post here at BC - thanks for playing.

DS

Fenderbender
you are no longer allowed to post here at BC - thanks for playing.
Who died and made you mod?
Maybe idiot was a bad choice of words but I bet theres things we've all said in here that we regretted later.Its just human nature to react with your thoughts in a forum like this.
I'll stand up for drewed,his posts are usually well thought out and I think he has much to offer here.
I actually think drewed would make a good mod.

sx2700

Banned
Originally Posted by But Benefits Are Great!
you are no longer allowed to post here at BC - thanks for playing.

Who died and made you mod?

Facetious:

1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish <just being facetious>
2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>

dillweed

I can understand why someone would hesitate to report a possible injury at UPS.

We have safety meetings every week pounding it into our heads that we don't want any injuries. Various areas of the building are applauded for having had no injuries and breakfast is provided for those groups.

Injuries are mentioned and, although no names are included, everyone knows and sends the hairy eyeball toward the culprit who ruined their chances at that $4.00 breakfast.

It's a shameful thing to be injured on the job and I feel many employees are discouraged from reporting. Safety is preached daily at the PCMs but two minutes later they're slamming pkgs at us at a pretty hectic pace.

We're often criticized for needing help with heavies and no one wants to be called a wimp on the job.

I see that many of us here on BC have had injuries, it comes with the work. I imagine some of those folks were really put through the wringer for their weakness. I've been injured and one time ruined a long, long record of no injuries in my area. Too bad, too sad, my bod is worth way more than management's safety record.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I quickly went through and re-read this thread and all of the replies so I apologize if this has already been discussed. We have yet to discuss those people who get hurt off the job, come to work and then, after lifting a box, claim an injury. It happens far more often than perhaps we would like to admit. For example, a driver gets hurt playing football over the weekend with his buddies. Does not go to the doctor or report it to anyone. Goes to work Monday morning, drives to his first stop, delivers about 1/2 the stop and then "hurts" himself. Driver spends the next 2 months off of work on a comp injury. We had a driver (since retired) who used to plan his vacations based upon such an "injury".

I have a friend who does comp fraud investigation and you would not believe some of the stories he has told me. He had a case once where a guy with a back injury was on his roof replacing shingles. My friend works on a percentage basis and makes a good living doing so.

Our job is a very physical one and injuries will and do occur. UPS preaches safety out of one side of their mouth will pushing production out of the other. We all know to report injuries as soon as they occur but what one may consider an injury another may not. Be on the safe side--report it and, if it turns out to simply be soreness, no harm, no foul. If it turns out to be a torn ligament then you did the right thing by reporting it. Of course, this is not to say you won't get a lot of grief over it but much less than if you had not reported it right away.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
stevetheupsguy the same happened to me, however

I was on taw for a month, went in with the sup the first visit but the doctor refused to see me for the rest of the month because ups didnt file an accident report with liberty mutual. So i saw the doctor once then was put on workers comp after my 30 taw days. I was out for a year and a half herniated disk.Ups docs said it was a lower back strain, it wasnt until mri with contrast was done that is showed the problem.......ALWAYS ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION

Archiater

I can understand why someone would hesitate to report a possible injury at UPS.

We have safety meetings every week pounding it into our heads that we don't want any injuries. Various areas of the building are applauded for having had no injuries and breakfast is provided for those groups.

Injuries are mentioned and, although no names are included, everyone knows and sends the hairy eyeball toward the culprit who ruined their chances at that $4.00 breakfast.

It's a shameful thing to be injured on the job and I feel many employees are discouraged from reporting. Safety is preached daily at the PCMs but two minutes later they're slamming pkgs at us at a pretty hectic pace.

We're often criticized for needing help with heavies and no one wants to be called a wimp on the job.

I see that many of us here on BC have had injuries, it comes with the work. I imagine some of those folks were really put through the wringer for their weakness. I've been injured and one time ruined a long, long record of no injuries in my area. Too bad, too sad, my bod is worth way more than management's safety record.

I'm not directly in operations, but my entire day is spent within it. From the H&S Committee, to the layman, injuries are taken very seriously. Precautionaries (feel pain, but not so much that you may not be able to work tomorrow) are always reported.

Where I work, at least, the idea is to report precautionary injuries seperatly from actual (definite) injuries. A precautionary injury is, for example, where an employee recently got his finger caught below an over-70lb barrell, but 2 minutes later felt fine.

The next day, I followed up with him, and he felt fine, no permanent injury to the bone/finger.

As I see it (again, not directly inside the operation) the management concern is on a ratio basis; injury/hour. Or, lost time/hour. An 80-lb barrell is likely to hurt when dropped on ones hand, but when only rotated on the hand, pain will (of course) persist, but go away.

Covering in the operation, I opted to give the weekly safety recognition despite this precautionary injury. The employee returned to work the next day with no complaint, and the work area deserved recognition for working safely.

Employees should ALWAYS, IMMEDIATELY report to a Sup any unusual pain/stress on any part of their bodies. I've gone a bit off topic, but the OP could have avoided the problems he is having now by immediate reportage.

Myself, management, have been out twice for a week + for back related injuries where I was unable to work (or walk). Neither occured at work, though either may have resulted from it.

Word to the hourlies: You may be a 'good guy' and not want to cause your supervisor trouble; or think you can stretch out a twinge overnight, or over the weekend. Yes, you may be able to. But what if you can't? For the most part, my mentality, in mgmt, is 'tough guy' but, twice in my life, I have known what's its like not to be able to walk. Neither time was there a serious cause. ALWAYS REPORT 'TWINGES' , 'STRAINS' ETC!!

It may amount to nothing (and it usually does) but CYA! Maybe it doesn't happen everywhere corporately, but where I work, we stress this extremely. From my stand point, in my district, since we do so recommend workers to let sups know when they feel even a slight hurt, THAT is why there is suspision when it is reported after the weekend.

I can't speak for all divisions/districts/regions, but in mine, you feel a hurt, you speak the hurt; to management.

CYA

Bad Gas!

Arch,
Nice post BUT reporting a possible injury is as bad as injury in most centers.It's like your homeowners insurance.If you want an inspection for hail damage on your roof, you are flagged as a high risk insure and could be dropped.It's put on your record....So, what I'm getting at is a twinge doesn't fly well with our center manager..It's evil eye(your killing my promotion chances) you stink etc etc...just like if you go out...so why not wait to you pop or break on that progressive injury before going down...You will need 25 plus years on car to know what I mean..I hope you get there..HEALTHY