I start feeder next week any advice

P

pickup

backing a pup with a dolly into another pup is one of the hardest things there is to do with truck driving in my opinion......i can do it, but it takes me a while....most of the guys at my terminal are the same way, or they cant do it at all

don't you guys normally back the dolly in a few feet in front of the rear trailer, drop it ,and then grab the front trailer and back it in front of the dolly, hook the dolly to the front trailer and then back the trailer and dolly about 5 more feet to grab the kingpin of the back trailer? To back a trailer and a dolley is the equivalent of backing a set of doubles in my opinion. If somebody can do this on a regular basis, well amazing....

StopCount

I'm off to train next week any advice or good stories about your experience in feeders...

Find someone that is already a feeder driver to teach you how to shift this weekend.

If you pick that up quick enough then have them walk you through a normal day; pre-trip, build a set, break down a set...

Don't make any plans for the next two weeks. You will need all the time you can get to memorize space/vis and feeder knowledge.

Find out as early as possible what the road test is like in your state and what the automatic disqualification items are.

Practice your pre-trip road test wording over and over as much as possible before the test.

Ask if you can practice building sets the weekend before your production week.

Ask if you can come in early the day of your road test to practice the backing tests.

Most feeder drivers are very helpfull, take their advice.

Feeder training is a lot harder than package training and you only get two weeks to learn it all so don't waste any time.

Feeder Supervisors are your friend and want you to succeed, its not like package so be nice to them and respectful at all times. They know a lot and have been trained well and at the end of the two weeks they decide if you are capable enough to even take the road test or to be a feeder driver.

Not everyone passes the road test on their first try so it's not the end of the world if you don't...

Good luck!

StopCount

don't you guys normally back the dolly in a few feet in front of the rear trailer, drop it ,and then grab the front trailer and back it in front of the dolly, hook the dolly to the front trailer and then back the trailer and dolly about 5 more feet to grab the kingpin of the back trailer?

That is how you are trained, but you aren't required to stay using this method...

To back a trailer and a dolley is the equivalent of backing a set of doubles in my opinion. If somebody can do this on a regular basis, well amazing....

There is an extra pivot point when backing a set, but I know a few feeder drivers that can do both :]

P

pickup

That is how you are trained, but you aren't required to stay using this method...

There is an extra pivot point when backing a set, but I know a few feeder drivers that can do both :]

I'll keep my eyes open for someone doing this, especially backing with the trailer and dolly (If I can do it sanely, it would make my life easier). The other scenario: backing a set of doubles (other than backing up a little bit in an approximately straight line) , well, I won't be attempting that but I won't close my eyes if someone else does it in my vicinity

Order the next size bigger pants and repeat process every six months.:rofl:
Gosh,that joke was funny.......back when the first guy told it. With you not so much. Here I`ll toss you guys an underhand softball.
"Why do feeder guys drive trucks that bend in the middle? Because with their waistline they can`t"

The trick I found to back a dolly with the front box is to mentally remove the trailer in your head. That way you get the steering movements in line with the dolly. If you see too much of the dolly it`s time to pull up and go again.

Last edited:

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
Thanks everyone for the advice. The other feeder driver in our building is a good friend of mine he has been really helpful and has let me make a few sets and spot trailers in the building. I like the trick with the glad hands I will be sure to rember that one. I have driven truck with my grandfather but it has been a few years since he passed on and I have not been on the road since. He always wanted me to float the gears (no clutch) but I noticed the Ca DMV wants you to clutch so I will have to pratice that a bit and my down shifting could use some help...Well I am a bit nervous but really excited. As for backing the dolly behind your lead box under the back box the other feeder driver makes it look easy...I tried it a couple times and I am not ready for that yet...

Richie

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't recall much Defensive driving training---they always wanted us to be AGGRESSIVE- BUT UNDER CONTROL. (what ever the hell that means) :happy2:

I was also told that I needed to be SAFELY AGGRESSIVE--I had no clue what the sup meant at the time but now I know exactly what that means.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Want to know how long someone has been driving feeder? By how flat their ass is from sitting for 12 hours a day!

My experience watch out for those dam dispatch telephone poles!

P

pickup

Hey Richie, try to find out the route that the road test will follow( ask someone who has done it) . and then follow the route in your own car to get familiar with it. If you know for certain which model truck you will be using on the roadtest, hop into one (hopefully an orphan that no steady driver is on) in the yard and practice shifting, that is the pattern for that particular model, there is usually a diagram in sight somewhere on dashboard showing the shifting pattern. You don't need the key to do this, use the clutch and shift until you are familiar with the pattern. But since you have a friend in feeders, ask him a bunch of questions, because he can stop if he sees confusion in your eyes and explain things in a different way. Also, just watch what the tractor trailers do in the yard. Watch what they do to when they turn, back up etc. You can learn a lot from watching. Good luck on your road test and remember , your dmv evaluator might have a different idea of how a truck is driven than ups does. If you are driving and the evaluator says you should do this( and it contradicts what you learn) , my advise is to say "yes sir" and do it. To not follow his orders is going to have you fail the roadtest even if you did it the "right" way. Also, not everybody passes the first time and that is allright. Some people get real lucky and back trailer in one shot and some get unlucky and have a hard time doing it although in practice they were very good. Best of luck, -Win today, fight tomorrow (in other words prepare) Let us know how it turns out.

P

pickup

Want to know how long someone has been driving feeder? By how flat their ass is from sitting for 12 hours a day!

My experience watch out for those dam dispatch telephone poles!

Ha , ha, those dispatch telephones get real banged up an bent , dont they?

keep the wheels between the ditches,,,,and that lil thing in ya britchies.
serious though, take your time , and never be to proud to ask if anything doesnt look right.keep up with your hours off ,make sure youve had 10 hrs off before you go back in. and dont go over 11 hr drive time or 14 total, or 60 hrs for the week. and good luck on your test.

tieguy

Banned
Lot of good advice here. Only thing I would add is don't totally relax. Stay alert and watch what is going on around you at all times. For some reason people see the big rig with the set of doubes and develop an instant death wish. They will try to squeeze you on an exit / onramp , change lanes into you or cut in front of you before they totally clear your space.

you'll be nervous for three to six months and then start relaxing. My experience has been the accidents start when that new driver starts relaxing in that time frame. if you're not sure get out and check.

P

pickup

Lot of good advice here. Only thing I would add is don't totally relax. Stay alert and watch what is going on around you at all times. For some reason people see the big rig with the set of doubes and develop an instant death wish. They will try to squeeze you on an exit / onramp , change lanes into you or cut in front of you before they totally clear your space.

you'll be nervous for three to six months and then start relaxing. My experience has been the accidents start when that new driver starts relaxing in that time frame. if you're not sure get out and check.

Tie guy has a really going point here. I remember years ago when I was in tractor trailer school, we had a really good teacher who said something that I will always remember. He said "a lot of you are afraid right now, which is good. The problems will start when you stop being afraid." ( 3- 6 months later like tieguy said) Don't be a 30 day wonder out there and think you know everything. There was a point when I thought I was a 9 as a driver with 10 being perfect. I revised that to a 5. 5 gives me enough credit for what I have done and learned over the years and still leaves plenty of room to learn something more. I will always be a 5. When I upped myself to 9 , I found I wasn't learning anything new. Make any sense?

Tie brought up a good point. Always respect what your driving. When you get used to them they feel as easy to drive as your package car but they will kill you much faster. And never let your ego or manhood get in the way of saying to yourself that somethings not right and keep you from aborting a back or move and just going around to try again. The best drivers out there will still blow the setup on a backing move and take a do over once in awhile. It`s quicker and less embarrassing than filling out an accident report.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Once you get your license and your training is done I recommend covering/bidding on a half shift(yard) job/half road job. It gives you the best of both worlds and will help you to gain the skills and confidence you will need to be successful. After you do that for 6 months to a year, unless you like shifting, bid out of that job because those shifters get hot as hell in the summer!

As to how to change gears properly, I posted a "how-to" once in a different thread and I will quote myself:

To shift our Tractors you have to learn to "double clutch". I'll take a shot at explaining this. From a dead stop, with the shift lever in first gear, clutch lever depressed, slowly let out the clutch pedal and go until your engine speed is approximately 1800 rpm. Once you reach 1800 push in the clutch and move the gear shifter to the neutral position. Push the clutch back in and as the rpms fall, shift the lever to second gear. The rpm level when your shifting to second can be anywhere from 1600 to 1200 rpm; when your at the right rpm for that gear it will "snick" right in. You do this whole process very rapidly. Repeat the process for all 9 to 10 gears (some tractors have 9, some 10).

You also have to double clutch to downshift though the process is a little different. For example, if you want to shift from 9th to 8th you would do this: first, the tractor needs to slow down enough to require the downshift. When your RPM drops to around 1100, push the clutch in and put the gear level in neutral. Depress the throttle rapidly but do not exceed 1800 RPM. As the RPMs drop back down, push the clutch back in and put the gear lever in the next lowest gear, in this case 8th. This is again done very rapidly.

I also have to mention that our gear selectors have a dual range design. There is a switch by the top of the shift lever that lets you choose if you want to be in either the 1st through 5th, or 6th through 9th (10th) gear range. You proceed through the first range of gears (1-5), flick the switch, than proceed through the next set of gears (6-9,10). You do the same in reverse order for downshifting.

Backing a trailer with a dolly attached to put together a set is an admirable but not necessary skill. I find that a lot of those who do it that way seem to take longer than those of us who do it the way we were trained to. Luckily I am paid by the hour as they see-saw the dolly back and forth, back and forth, etc. The guys who are good at it though are amazing. I only do it to park a dolly I am done using. To each his own.

Good luck!