I think I might get fired soon...

PT Car Washer

Being a good preloader is the foundation remember that. Foucs on getting the right package on the right car. I look at the label three times. 1st when i pick it up from the belt second when i walk towards the package car and third when i put it on the self in chronological order.
Do the same thing when you deliver to a house or business. Look at the address label not the PAL sticker. It will save you a lot of embarrassment the next day.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I just got hired yesterday. Haven't even gone through orientation yet but I'm already afraid to misload. This is my dream job, been trying to get into UPS for years. Missed the call 2 years back, broke my hand last year but I'm finally hired. And I don't want to mess this up.

Dream job seriously

You need to set your sights a little higher

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Hello, fellow UPSers. I'm a new hire (been doing preload for about 3 weeks now, but it's my 4th week at UPS). I think I'm gonna get fired.

Let me explain: I'm not very quick— I load pretty good sometimes, but often the drop will get packed and they'll need to have a more experienced loader help me out. I usually do 4- 5 trucks. Another thing, I keep getting a :censored2: ton of misloads (usually it's 1or 2) the other day I had 8 misloads in total and my sup did not have time to scan so those drivers had to put up with my :censored2:-up. My PT supervisor is a really cool dude, but everytime I mess up he always has me sign :censored2: about my mess-ups and it's kind of stacking up... what he keeps saying is that if this continues for like a month straight it could lead to discharge and I'm terrified of that. I'm 18 and finding work before UPS was so hard. I don't think I could find any good work if possible employers knew that I was fired at UPS. As a side question: I crushed my finger and it started bleeding— it was mostly OK, but I figured I'd let my sup know because it was my first real injury on the job and he asked me questions and made sure it was OK. Later on, my FT sup was talking with me about it and made it seem like a bigger deal than it actually was "Don't see a doctor if this gets bad, make sure you talk to us about it before". It was kind of weird. Anyone want to explain this for me?

What do you think I should do? Stay a little longer, see if I get better or just quit before they :censored2: me up?

Also, anyone coming to this thread to call me an idiot: I'm expecting you and I don't give a :censored2:.

Thanks for the help.
ask to be moved to unloading feeders,loading is not for everyone, those couple of misloads equate to lost$$ and keeping drivers out away from their family and life

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Being a good preloader is the foundation remember that. Foucs on getting the right package on the right car. I look at the label three times. 1st when i pick it up from the belt second when i walk towards the package car and third when i put it on the self in chronological order.

Foundation to what?

"You don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em."

UrFellowUpser

Foundation to what?

"You don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em."
I feel if you want management to take you seriously and give you opportunities to advance and be a driver you have to work hard and get them zero misloads everyday as a preloader. I just know my center manager looks at the numbers everyday and if you :censored2:ing up alot i dont think they or he will give you the chance cause you cant even do your job as a preloader let alone doing the job as a driver.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
How many cars do you load and how many packages?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I feel if you want management to take you seriously and give you opportunities to advance and be a driver you have to work hard and get them zero misloads everyday as a preloader. I just know my center manager looks at the numbers everyday and if you :censored2:ing up alot i dont think they or he will give you the chance cause you cant even do your job as a preloader let alone doing the job as a driver.

Sorry chief doesn't matter how terrible of a preloader you are

It's all about seniority

km3

Whoa, hold on there cowboy. This is a union shop. Management doesn't get to just randomly ask part-timers if they want to go driving; it's based on seniority. Some people have put in 10+ years before they got the chance to drive, because that's how long it took them to climb to the top of the seniority list. Others, only a few months.

It's true that management may talk amongst themselves and name names, as to who would be a good or bad driver, but unless you're the worst of the worst, you're probably not going to auto-DQ the moment your name comes up. Likewise, if your current manager can't say enough good things about you, you're still not guaranteed anything but a chance.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I just got hired yesterday. Haven't even gone through orientation yet but I'm already afraid to misload. This is my dream job, been trying to get into UPS for years. Missed the call 2 years back, broke my hand last year but I'm finally hired. And I don't want to mess this up.
don't mess up.

PT Car Washer

Is it helping with the misloads? Please say yes....Please.
The only thing that will reduce misloads is to reduce the preloaders work load and increase the hourly rate to promote the sense that their job is important. Now preload management is all about getting the packages out of the trailers and into a package car and out onto the street. Damages and misloads is someone else's problem because the preload manager and sups will be at home snoozing.

Storm_Cloud

New Hire.
The only thing that will reduce misloads is to reduce the preloaders work load and increase the hourly rate to promote the sense that their job is important. Now preload management is all about getting the packages out of the trailers and into a package car and out onto the street. Damages and misloads is someone else's problem because the preload manager and sups will be at home snoozing.
I agree. They act like you get paid $30/h when it's just minimum wage (or near that). Who the hell wants to work 110% and leave work needing an immediate shower everyday for the same amount that Taco Bell employees get paid? I go to work everyday, work as hard as I can and I still get told that it's not good enough.