I think I might get fired soon...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree. They act like you get paid $30/h when it's just minimum wage (or near that). Who the hell wants to work 110% and leave work needing an immediate shower everyday for the same amount that Taco Bell employees get paid? I go to work everyday, work as hard as I can and I still get told that it's not good enough.
Welcome to ups. Sorry this isn't the dream job you'd thought it would be. The door is that way....don't let it hit you....

NotClearing

Keep at it, I wasn't that great when I started 9 years ago but as time went on I got promoted 3 times (maybe that's why I got promoted, that seems to be the case with ups)

Stepped down to become a driver in the end as it goes and it's much better.... sometimes.

Keep going mate you'll be alright stop worrying about it

UrFellowUpser

I
Whoa, hold on there cowboy. This is a union shop. Management doesn't get to just randomly ask part-timers if they want to go driving; it's based on seniority. Some people have put in 10+ years before they got the chance to drive, because that's how long it took them to climb to the top of the seniority list. Others, only a few months.

It's true that management may talk amongst themselves and name names, as to who would be a good or bad driver, but unless you're the worst of the worst, you're probably not going to auto-DQ the moment your name comes up. Likewise, if your current manager can't say enough good things about you, you're still not guaranteed anything but a chance.
i know about senority

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Keep at it, I wasn't that great when I started 9 years ago but as time went on I got promoted 3 times (maybe that's why I got promoted, that seems to be the case with ups)

Stepped down to become a driver in the end as it goes and it's much better.... sometimes.

Keep going mate you'll be alright stop worrying about it

Promoted 3 times
You must be a Divison Mgr then huh

W

What The Hawk?

So at what point can you not step down? I don't think I want to go any higher than a driver but still nice to know.

NXA

The only thing that will reduce misloads is to reduce the preloaders work load and increase the hourly rate to promote the sense that their job is important. Now preload management is all about getting the packages out of the trailers and into a package car and out onto the street. Damages and misloads is someone else's problem because the preload manager and sups will be at home snoozing.
I think this is true. The best preloaders in our building work the same pull for a long time (years even) , know their drivers, know some details about rue routes (bulk stops, dock stops) , and just generally care about their work. The worst ones load by PAL on a different pull every night, don't know the drivers or the routes (how could they) and if they did care they soon give up caring.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
I think this is true. The best preloaders in our building work the same pull for a long time (years even) , know their drivers, know some details about rue routes (bulk stops, dock stops) , and just generally care about their work. The worst ones load by PAL on a different pull every night, don't know the drivers or the routes (how could they) and if they did care they soon give up caring.
It's not so much that we don't care about our work it is simply if nobody else seems to care about your work you end up following suit. I know when I load the conditions, understaffing, underpay, and let's not forget the sups..... well you just don't feel like your job is important so in turn you just end up treating it as such.

PT Car Washer

It's not so much that we don't care about our work it is simply if nobody else seems to care about your work you end up following suit. I know when I load the conditions, understaffing, underpay, and let's not forget the sups..... well you just don't feel like your job is important so in turn you just end up treating it as such.
I wish Division managers, District managers, Regional managers, and the folks in Atlanta would listen to what you have said. Instead they listen to the bean counters on how UPS can make more money by reducing staffing and loading up the drivers with more misloads and damaged packages.