I transferred to pre-load.

BrownNinjaz

Hi upsers,

I've been working for this company for almost 2 years and I have always been a loader. This week, I started working at the pre-load shift. I got this position where I load packages to brown trucks. They told me I was going to unload, but the pre-load manager didn't even expect me! He didn't even know I was transferring to the pre-load shift, so I ended up doing something different. I wanted to unload, but w.e! I guess I have to deal with the supervisor,etc yelling at me if I mis load.. :\ I misloaded the first day of work and I got yelled... geez! They are so serious. Lol... I'm afraid to mis load now. :) I am not afraid of them though! ANYWAYS, I want to know if I'm getting a dollar raise since I am doing a skilled job? If so, I should talk to them?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Ignore the yelling, take your time and work your pace. You'll make more mistakes the faster you're going. Slow and steady wins the race. If you keep doing a crappy job and not up to their speed, tell them you didn't come here for this and they should send you to the unload where you were originally supposed to go anyway.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It is a skilled position. You have to prove the skill. That's how it use to be, at least.
At my center, nowadays he'd be up to maybe $11.50 or so.

steward71

in our HUB if you have been an employee that long and you go to preload then you get the dollar off the bat. the whole shift is skilled even if you are in the unload, load, spa, clerk, sorter, air or what every you get the dollar. this is under the Alt. Suppl. it may not be the same in other areas. if you go back to Twi or Mid then you will give up your dollar unless you are a sorter, high volume sorter or low volume sorter.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There are all suppose to be skilled at my center, but the BA made a back door deal with labor. Yet, another reason UPS was happy to make me FT

BrownNinjaz

Ignore the yelling, take your time and work your pace. You'll make more mistakes the faster you're going. Slow and steady wins the race. If you keep doing a crappy job and not up to their speed, tell them you didn't come here for this and they should send you to the unload where you were originally supposed to go anyway.

Thanks!! Yeah, I was going fast. If I mis loaded again today then I will tell them that I was going fast.. that I will take it slow and make sure I don't mis load 'till I get used to this new position. If he still gets mad.. I will tell him to move me to the unloading position next week. He said that he heard positive things about me.. I guess he spoke to the twilight manager or what ever about me. I'm a good worker, I got that a lot from other shift. I do feel bad when I mis load 'cause I do care about customers. But I am new to this position and so I make mistake. I have to load 4 brown trucks. ;\

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Ooh, OK. So I have to wait 30 days to get that dollar raise? I will wait 30 days and if I don't get that raise, I should talk to them, right?^^
I would contact your local union hall and speak with you Business Agent. It depends where you work. If they aren't handing it like candy, then yes you should receive it after 30 working days. Not calendar. I would talk to them after the 30 day period. Be nice at first. More flies with honey, ya know. If that doesn't work, talk to your steward and let them do the dirty work, that is their job. I wasthe preload steward before I went FT.

AssistantSanta

Lugo, what's the difference between load and preload?

It is a skilled position. You have to prove the skill.
Sounds fair enough, but how do they evaluate skills?

I would contact your local union hall and speak with you Business Agent. It depends where you work. If they aren't handing it like candy, then yes you should receive it after 30 working days.
Is HR or management unwilling to talk to average employees? I'm curious why you'd direct the question to the Union rather than HR.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Lugo, what's the difference between load and preload?

Sounds fair enough, but how do they evaluate skills?
I thought you knew everything. You haven't researched that, too?

Is HR or management unwilling to talk to average employees? I'm curious why you'd direct the question to the Union rather than HR.
Why would I 'suggest' a union member talk to his union rep? That does sound utterly rediculous, I know.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Make sure they give you the raise for the job. Had a employee find out he never got his util he started talking with other preloaders. They might ( as in soups and mang ) think you'll never notice it or believe your getting it already, so watch week after week or bring it up to them now and again.

Missloads fall under production. They might write you up for them, but you can always RTS it ( refuse to sign ). You can always grieve it too.

Had a steward tell me they were writting someone up for missloads, not production. But that seems the union stand nowadays, do nothing and no protection. File anyways if need be..

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
just focus on load quality, there isn't much you can directly do about misloading (that works)

let them get as mad as they want, it's all bark and no bite

evilleace

I find that pulling the pal label and sticking it on the end of the box helps, because you can see the route name and possibly catch your own misloads.

klolx

I find that pulling the pal label and sticking it on the end of the box helps, because you can see the route name and possibly catch your own misloads.

This is actually what I did when I was still on my old belt and my average mis load was at least 1-2 a week but now they transferred me to a different belt and gave me a set where its just so damn impossible to load (because the guy who was doing it is on vacation). I dread to go to work everyday because of it, I've been getting mis routes because of it and today my sup (of that belt) talked to me and explained to me that the next time we talk there will be a write up and make sure i have a shop steward when it comes to those kind of stuff. Its been a miserable week, I just started to not give a damn anymore and its just really bad. The FT sup told me who also friend*cked me over by giving me that set that it will only be for this week. Hopefully, they put me back to my old belt next week....