I transferred to pre-load.

Southwestern

I find that pulling the pal label and sticking it on the end of the box helps, because you can see the route name and possibly catch your own misloads.

When I loaded, I'd write the initial from each car on the top of each box. For example:

22A - I'd write an "A"
TEBO - I'd write a "T"
SUKZ - I'd write an "S"
ZZZZ - I'd write a "Z"

Additionally, I double-checked every package (verifying the PAL) before loading it. I went nearly three years without a misload but was booted because I didn't work fast enough. Of course, my replacement had a misload or two every week. Meanwhile, our manager would spend what was suppose to be our safety committee PCM whining "...I get up every morning at midnight but don't get home until late afternoon because I have to drive around in my own car, using my own gas, swapping misloads... it's just not fair. WAHHHHHHH." I guess that half-hour she saved weekly by booting me was worth it. She got what she deserved me thinks.

Missloads fall under production. They might write you up for them, but you can always RTS it ( refuse to sign ). You can always grieve it too.. Had a steward tell me they were writting someone up for missloads, not production. But that seems the union stand nowadays, do nothing and no protection. File anyways if need be..

In both centers I've worked at, they wrote preloaders up for misloads, ultimately leading to suspension and -- in some instances -- termination. I believe all parties terminated were ultimately offered jobs within the input, but only at the state level.

AssistantSanta

When I was helping, we got packages that had labels indicating it belongs in the car, but the label was wrong.
UpstateNYUPSer suggests comparing address label to PAL, but how often? If it isn't compared on every label, there's still a chance they'll sneak in in-between.

Just like in production environment, a balance has to be struck between quality(accuracy) vs speed.

Who's responsible if misload has the correct label?

99.95% with 1 per 2000 pkgs loaded is ok... but that's still several per week. If they want five times the accuracy and get to 99.99%, does it justify the slowness?

I know some say "production level" doesn't matter, but I don't think they'll like it if you were 1/2 the average speed even if can get it down to 99.995%.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
When I was helping, we got packages that had labels indicating it belongs in the car, but the label was wrong.
UpstateNYUPSer suggests comparing address label to PAL, but how often? If it isn't compared on every label, there's still a chance they'll sneak in in-between.

Just like in production environment, a balance has to be struck between quality(accuracy) vs speed.

Who's responsible if misload has the correct label?

99.95% with 1 per 2000 pkgs loaded is ok... but that's still several per week. If they want five times the accuracy and get to 99.99%, does it justify the slowness?

I know some say "production level" doesn't matter, but I don't think they'll like it if you were 1/2 the average speed even if can get it down to 99.995%.

You're still here?

BrownNinjaz

I have to use a crayon to write the initial and 3 numbers.. that sucks. I'm not sure if I can just write the initial and just 2 numbers? I will try writing a big initial on the box to make sure I don't misload.
They aren't giving me a hard time anymore at all 'cause they heard positive things about me from other shifts. I guess I can't go fast for this position, I have to be careful with misloads. I like to go fast. After I get a raise, I am going to talk to them to put me unloading.

BrownNinjaz

When I loaded, I'd write the initial from each car on the top of each box. For example:

22A - I'd write an "A"
TEBO - I'd write a "T"
SUKZ - I'd write an "S"
ZZZZ - I'd write a "Z"

Additionally, I double-checked every package (verifying the PAL) before loading it. I went nearly three years without a misload but was booted because I didn't work fast enough. Of course, my replacement had a misload or two every week. Meanwhile, our manager would spend what was suppose to be our safety committee PCM whining "...I get up every morning at midnight but don't get home until late afternoon because I have to drive around in my own car, using my own gas, swapping misloads... it's just not fair. WAHHHHHHH." I guess that half-hour she saved weekly by booting me was worth it. She got what she deserved me thinks.

In both centers I've worked at, they wrote preloaders up for misloads, ultimately leading to suspension and -- in some instances -- termination. I believe all parties terminated were ultimately offered jobs within the input, but only at the state level.

Yeah, my hub do care a lot if we misload. My supervisor told me I have to go a little, so I went fast. He should have told me to take it easy until I learn all my trucks and the numbers.
That's why I did a lot of misload. If I keep misloading, then I will tell them to move me to the unload position or I will just switch shift. I just want to work with no people bothering me. I actually wanted to leave this job as soon as I get hired at a full-time job as a CNA. It isn't hard to find this particular job. I think I am going to apply for full-time job instead of a part-time and just leave this job. I wanted 2 jobs.. UPS and a part-time as a CNA. At least in here, we don't get to deal with drivers. They come to work when we're about to finish.

air_dr

In the particular version of the contract I am under, one can request to be placed on a preferred job list. So you want unload. That means that as soon as there is an opening on unload, they are required to put you there if you are the most senior man wanting to be an unloader.

Just a thought...take this for whatever its worth to you...based on some of the things you have said on here...like in your post above "I just want to work with no people bothering me." Are you sure being a CNA would be a good fit for you? You will not only be working with people, but sick people who are needy. You have to do what you think is best for you, but I almost hope that you get the opportunity to get a very clear picture of what your work environment would be like as a CNA and that you think about it carefully before you make the decision to quit UPS.

Southwestern

What happens when you get suspended? My manager told us that we would get that if we had enough misloads.

You either serve it or appeal it - you'll continue to work while awaiting appeal. And yes, they have terminated several employees from my center who had chronic misload problems. To my knowledge (although I've heard otherwise), all were brought back on the condition they don't load anymore

UPSGUY72

What happens when you get suspended? My manager told us that we would get that if we had enough misloads.

Just keep doing your job the best you can and keep your steward and BA informed of what is going on. If they suspended you appeal it. What probably is going to happen is they will just move you somewhere else like unload trailers.