I want a career not a job!

vantexan

WOW, Are you a disgruntal employee or what. Yes, Employees in any company that work their way up the ladder are better than the ones who come in with a POWERPOINT PRESENTAION and a Diploma. Please, we are in the trucking industry. Just because you have a degree means nothing. You must gain EXPERIENCE FIRST. Thats with anything you do in life. Are you a Manager? Or are you one that sits back and talks about the new managers wishing you would have made that move to become one? Get real... Along with Experience you must also GAIN RESPECT from your employees. Like I said before, they can make you or break you. Yes, I am a 27 year employee and my Husband is a 28 year employee and we are thankful for having a job. If you dont like what you do, then I know Burger King is hiring. Why complain? Do your job and go home, if not go find another job. JMO..... As far as the 7 year employees, I have lots of friends in that situation. We all had to do it. Do you expect Fred to bring you money on a silver platter and wipe your butt too? Go find another job and weather out the storm. I raised 3 daughters on my income. I did it....

Apparently Goldilocks you haven't been keeping up with this forum. I originally started in '86, quit in '97, rehired in '98. So I've seen it from both sides. Fact is those 7 yr employees aren't getting the same deal you did, and never will. And it appears that FedEx will soon be making life difficult for older, better paid couriers too. I'm glad you got the deal you got. I'm also resigned to the fact that for me and most others there is no leaving for something better. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

Ricochet1a

Apparently Goldilocks you haven't been keeping up with this forum. I originally started in '86, quit in '97, rehired in '98. So I've seen it from both sides. Fact is those 7 yr employees aren't getting the same deal you did, and never will. And it appears that FedEx will soon be making life difficult for older, better paid couriers too. I'm glad you got the deal you got. I'm also resigned to the fact that for me and most others there is no leaving for something better. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

I think that was response from "Goldilocks" directed at me....

The mindset this poster possesses explains why Express HASN'T organized, WON'T organize and NEVER WILL organize as long people like her are still kissing Fred's boots at every opportunity.

And honey, I'm no longer at Express and I'm so far beyond what Express could've ever compensated me, it is laughable. Keep on kissing Fred's boots, and I'll keep on trying to let those who aren't kissing Fred's boots know what's on the bottom of them.

Sincerely, R1a

vantexan

I think that was response from "Goldilocks" directed at me....

The mindset this poster possesses explains why Express HASN'T organized, WON'T organize and NEVER WILL organize as long people like her are still kissing Fred's boots at every opportunity.

And honey, I'm no longer at Express and I'm so far beyond what Express could've ever compensated me, it is laughable. Keep on kissing Fred's boots, and I'll keep on trying to let those who aren't kissing Fred's boots know what's on the bottom of them.

Sincerely, R1a

Oh I know, just trying to get her to consider a different point of view. For someone in her position it's understandable, she just doesn't realize how much better off she is than mid-range employees. I've seen shock on faces when I've told topped out employees what I make after all these years. Many people are just so wrapped up in their own lives they just don't realize what's going on around them. They feel FedEx has been good for them, just assume it's the same for everyone else. I don't begrudge them their better pay and better pension, just gets under my skin when those that DO know start telling me that what I'm getting is good enough for me. Smells like a mgr with an agenda when I hear that.

TUT

Globalization is grand folks!

Competing with suppressed communist countries is grand no?

As we bring them up, they bring us down.

We all seen it. A non-college educated person on the streets can do simple math like this.

Sucks.

Ricochet1a

Oh I know, just trying to get her to consider a different point of view. For someone in her position it's understandable, she just doesn't realize how much better off she is than mid-range employees. I've seen shock on faces when I've told topped out employees what I make after all these years. Many people are just so wrapped up in their own lives they just don't realize what's going on around them. They feel FedEx has been good for them, just assume it's the same for everyone else. I don't begrudge them their better pay and better pension, just gets under my skin when those that DO know start telling me that what I'm getting is good enough for me. Smells like a mgr with an agenda when I hear that.

No... I don't smell a manager there - just lots of purple blood going through someone's "heart" - and no realization of what is happening to those who didn't top-out in just a few years time.

As I stated, just look at the state of mind of this poster, and you have your explanation as to why Express no longer fears any sort of unionization activity. There are enough like her, that makes trying to get a fair deal for those stuck in the middle impossible. I think this also illustrates what Express attempted to do when it threw out a bit of extra "scratch" to those who were already at or near top out - an extra infusion of purple.

People like her illustrate my point better than I could've ever hoped to do on my own. She got hers, to blazes to everyone else doing the exact same work and getting 20% less with no hope of EVER catching up. Remember.. it takes DECADES of experience to know what is involved in moving a package from point A to point B.... (funny thing was, within a year of working at Express, I knew just about everything one needed to know at AGFS to move a package from A to B, including moving the aircraft themselves.... doesn't take a couple of decades, doesn't take 5 years, just takes a head on one's shoulders....).

People like her are just plain deluded as to what is really going on out there (or they flat out don't care, since they got theirs). Let them bleed all over the place and offer them a towel after they are done kissing Fred's boots. Those who are in the trenches will see what those who topped out years ago really think about them - maybe, just maybe, some solidarity will develop among those in low to mid progression and things might change. Doubtful, but its worth a shot.

vantexan

No... I don't smell a manager there - just lots of purple blood going through someone's "heart" - and no realization of what is happening to those who didn't top-out in just a few years time.

As I stated, just look at the state of mind of this poster, and you have your explanation as to why Express no longer fears any sort of unionization activity. There are enough like her, that makes trying to get a fair deal for those stuck in the middle impossible. I think this also illustrates what Express attempted to do when it threw out a bit of extra "scratch" to those who were already at or near top out - an extra infusion of purple.

People like her illustrate my point better than I could've ever hoped to do on my own. She got hers, to blazes to everyone else doing the exact same work and getting 20% less with no hope of EVER catching up. Remember.. it takes DECADES of experience to know what is involved in moving a package from point A to point B.... (funny thing was, within a year of working at Express, I knew just about everything one needed to know at AGFS to move a package from A to B, including moving the aircraft themselves.... doesn't take a couple of decades, doesn't take 5 years, just takes a head on one's shoulders....).

People like her are just plain deluded as to what is really going on out there (or they flat out don't care, since they got theirs). Let them bleed all over the place and offer them a towel after they are done kissing Fred's boots. Those who are in the trenches will see what those who topped out years ago really think about them - maybe, just maybe, some solidarity will develop among those in low to mid progression and things might change. Doubtful, but its worth a shot.

Actually I was referring to folks like 59 Dano as far as smelling like a mgr with an agenda. I don't see the point in getting angry with her but then again she invited it with the assumption that people will just have to do the time to have what she has. But that's an indicator of just how clueless so many are about what's going on. And sadly when we're all getting reamed in a few years she'll be ok and wonder what the fuss is all about?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I once got reamed by a truly awful company and left on very bad terms, but afterwards I didn't spend inordinate amounts of time on message boards bashing those who didn't hate the company.

LTFedExer

Please, we are in the trucking industry.
We are an 'airline'....not the trucking industry :sissyfight:

Yes, I am a 27 year employee and my Husband is a 28 year employee and we are thankful for having a job. If you dont like what you do, then I know Burger King is hiring.
That sounds exactly like what my manager said. Except, change Burger King to McDonalds.

As far as the 7 year employees, I have lots of friends in that situation. We all had to do it. Do you expect Fred to bring you money on a silver platter and wipe your butt too?
Please enlighten us on long it took you to top out. You have no clue what it's like to be a mid-range employee. That title didn't exist until long after you topped out.

I can't speak for anyone else on this board but myself. I said it time and time again....I don't agree with a lot that FedEx does, but I understand why their doing it.

59 Dano

Actually I was referring to folks like 59 Dano as far as smelling like a mgr with an agenda. I don't see the point in getting angry with her but then again she invited it with the assumption that people will just have to do the time to have what she has. But that's an indicator of just how clueless so many are about what's going on. And sadly when we're all getting reamed in a few years she'll be ok and wonder what the fuss is all about?

My only agenda is to achieve my personal and professional goals. If that bugs you, sorry.

Ricochet1a

I once got reamed by a truly awful company and left on very bad terms, but afterwards I didn't spend inordinate amounts of time on message boards bashing those who didn't hate the company.

How does this compare to those who are employed by a truly awful company and spend an inordinate amount of time on message boards attempting to justify the actions of that awful company?

59 Dano

How does this compare to those who are employed by a truly awful company and spend an inordinate amount of time on message boards attempting to justify the actions of that awful company?

If you like the company, you like the company. If you don't, you don't. Once I left my old job, it never occurred to me to go to a web forum and argue with those who liked job for liking the job. It would make as much sense to me as arguing with someone for liking Wendy's better than Burger King. I didn't take it personally that they liked working there and wasn't going to waste my time trying to convince them to not like it.

vantexan

If you like the company, you like the company. If you don't, you don't. Once I left my old job, it never occurred to me to go to a web forum and argue with those who liked job for liking the job. It would make as much sense to me as arguing with someone for liking Wendy's better than Burger King. I didn't take it personally that they liked working there and wasn't going to waste my time trying to convince them to not like it.

OK but you are critical of any criticism of the company. If you don't like the criticism why do you waste your time telling us we're wrong(and you're right)? Actually this is a discussion forum where anyone can put forth their 2 cents and others can agree, disagree, or agree to disagree. But come on here and get snarky, patronizing, personal, etc and you'll get it right back. :)

59 Dano

OK but you are critical of any criticism of the company.

Not at all. "I don't like [insert policy here] because it cuts my hours and I need the money" is something that I'd have a hard time arguing about. Just about anyone can empathize with that and we've all been there at some point.

Now compare that to the usual moonbat ranting that inevitably amounts to, "The new policy is nothing but a way to crush our souls, [insert more hyperbole here], and it is completely immoral and cannot in any circumstance be justified." I might be inclined to disagree with that.

vantexan

Not at all. "I don't like [insert policy here] because it cuts my hours and I need the money" is something that I'd have a hard time arguing about. Just about anyone can empathize with that and we've all been there at some point.

Now compare that to the usual moonbat ranting that inevitably amounts to, "The new policy is nothing but a way to crush our souls, [insert more hyperbole here], and it is completely immoral and cannot in any circumstance be justified." I might be inclined to disagree with that.

And that is why some of us so vigorously disagree with you. When stating our position you always put it into extremes. We don't just want better pay, we want too much(according to you). We are only concerned about ourselves, not others(according to you). We've made terrible mistakes in our personal lives and expect FedEx to make up for it, or something to that effect. Always turning it back on us, the company being the altruistic institution that it is. One point that never seems to be completely out there but seems obvious is if the company is doing as well as it could by it's employees, why then is it going to such lengths to insure a union never gets in? If a union is truly not needed by the employees then it stands to reason that FedEx doesn't need to protect itself from it's own employees. And yet they are.

There's no point in arguing all this with you, it is what it is. All we can really do is watch it coming and hope for a soft landing. But even you must agree that major changes in how Express operates are imminent, and it's doubtful most will be happy with it when they realize how it's going to affect their future. We're a small group of dissenters here, wait until thousands nationwide are furious. Tens of thousands...

Goldilocks

I believe this Forum gives good information. It's an OPEN Forum, to share many opinions. And I RESPECT your Opinions. Let me ask you a question. How many companies offer a retirement? Most companies have NO retirement for their employees. Fedex still offers a retirement package! Sure, its not great compared to the Traditional but its a retirement. How many companies offer the Health Insurance that Fedex offers? How many companies offer 401k? You must look at the BIG PICTURE. Do I like everything that goes on with the company? NO, but I try to stay focused. Am I scared about what may be happening after the Investors meeting? Yes, I think we all are. I try to look at the Big Picture of what this company has done for me. It put food on the table, roof over my head, sent 2 of my 3 daughters to college, one just graduated from Medical School. Has it been easy? No, we live within our means and our budget. My Husband is a FT Courier and has been for 28 Years. I know whats happening but like I said before, I thank God I have a Job. Our Mid range employees are compensated with lots of hours and overtime at our station. I really never here them complaining about that.

vantexan

Goldilocks; said:
I believe this Forum gives good information. It's an OPEN Forum, to share many opinions. And I RESPECT your Opinions. Let me ask you a question. How many companies offer a retirement? Most companies have NO retirement for their employees. Fedex still offers a retirement package! Sure, its not great compared to the Traditional but its a retirement. How many companies offer the Health Insurance that Fedex offers? How many companies offer 401k? You must look at the BIG PICTURE. Do I like everything that goes on with the company? NO, but I try to stay focused. Am I scared about what may be happening after the Investors meeting? Yes, I think we all are. I try to look at the Big Picture of what this company has done for me. It put food on the table, roof over my head, sent 2 of my 3 daughters to college, one just graduated from Medical School. Has it been easy? No, we live within our means and our budget. My Husband is a FT Courier and has been for 28 Years. I know whats happening but like I said before, I thank God I have a Job. Our Mid range employees are compensated with lots of hours and overtime at our station. I really never here them complaining about that.

That's great that you've been able to do all that. A mid-range employee has to work good OT just to make what you do on 40. Most companies offer a 401k, and his 6% to get the match is less than yours. His Portable Pension Plan contribution is less than yours too so there goes having as good a retirement, not to mention if he got anything on the traditional pension before the termination it was minimal. But he does have to pay as much for the healthcare in spite of making less.

The thing is that most of us are fine with having to work a certain period of time to catch top-out as long as it's reasonable. But we never will so we have to be willing to accept considerably less than what you got in order to stay with FedEx. And now it looks like after all those years of sacrifice, hoping FedEx would finally come through with a better deal for us, have been wasted. We'll have to see what happens, but will you tell your station's mid-range employees who've worked long hrs for quite a few years now that they should be happy that they're at least getting 35 hrs a week and 3% raises? And possibly having to take long splits to get that 35?

mitchel

i have to agree with goldilocks for now, even if it does come down to only working 35 hours..or minimums, its still more than what i would be payed with welfare, unemployment or finding another job. i am at almost 17 years and have no idea what else i would do, and i actually do like my job. what i dont like but am learning to deal with is that i have been used to 50 hour weeks as a 5x8 swing driver and now working for minimums.. i took a 5 hour spilt after p1 to do a 2.5hour pup rt today, something i said no to two weeks ago,...only to learn i lost out on minimums. i just smiled this friday and said sure. i am also learning this is what happens on fridays when they know minimums are going to be paid out, so they want you to say no. oh well, i just went and saw a movie and came back

Goldilocks

i have to agree with goldilocks for now, even if it does come down to only working 35 hours..or minimums, its still more than what i would be payed with welfare, unemployment or finding another job. i am at almost 17 years and have no idea what else i would do, and i actually do like my job. what i dont like but am learning to deal with is that i have been used to 50 hour weeks as a 5x8 swing driver and now working for minimums.. i took a 5 hour spilt after p1 to do a 2.5hour pup rt today, something i said no to two weeks ago,...only to learn i lost out on minimums. i just smiled this friday and said sure. i am also learning this is what happens on fridays when they know minimums are going to be paid out, so they want you to say no. oh well, i just went and saw a movie and came back

Hang in there Mitchel! You sound like a very nice guy.....:happy2: