I want a drivers opinion

Jas85374

I have reached a point of seniority where I now may be able to go driving. I was wondering if this is a good idea because as far as the hub talk goes everyone is pretty negative about it. As drivers, do you regret going driving? Personally, driving was my goal when I got hired 6.5 years ago. There are a lot of nay sayers though. Your thoughts? Positives/Negatives?

Sent using BrownCafe App

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Driving is not for everyone, so the nay Sayers are either trying to talk you out of it so they can go drive (less seniority) or its people who have been dq'd because its too hard. If your goal is driving then go drive. Worse case scenario is you get dq'd go back to your spot in the hub. By then you'll decide if its for you and give it another go or not want to do it. But if you go driving, go driving don't be wishy washey. Just go in and conquer.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I have reached a point of seniority where I now may be able to go driving. I was wondering if this is a good idea because as far as the hub talk goes everyone is pretty negative about it. As drivers, do you regret going driving? Personally, driving was my goal when I got hired 6.5 years ago. There are a lot of nay sayers though. Your thoughts? Positives/Negatives?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Are you serious? You have been in part time for 6.5 years and you have to "consider" making 34 bucks an hour and working a 50 plus workweek giving you the opportunity to earn 100K a year?

You are worried about "HUB" talk?

What does your wife/girlfriend/child/parents think? Why would you concern yourself what the HUB TALK is?

You are an individual. A free thinker. Make a decision. Look at your future and ask if you like eating at McDonalds or sitting down for a nice steak dinner every friday night with your wife/girlfriend.

Anything full time is going to be hard work, and only the strong survive, so if you believe in yourself, it matters not how hard the job is, just do it for yourself.

Listening to others in the hub is a waste of your time.

Think for yourself.

TOS.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The pay is excellent, but the hours suck. Its a lot of wear and tear on your joints too. Forget about seeing your kids and wife. Then you have to deal with harassment all the time. My suggestion go driving, open up an IRA and stuff it to the max every week and drive for maybe 10 to 15 years and get out of dodge before your the SIX MILLION DOLLAR man physically. You cant do this job nowadays for more than 15 years physically without your body breaking down on ya.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
First off let me say that driving isn't for everyone. The hours are long. It is physically and mentally demanding. The hours are long. You have to develop a thick skin. Did I say the hours are long?

27 years ago it was a no brainer. When you ran a route you were in charge of it. You worked on your own and were rarely bothered by management unless you were a total screw up.

Things have changed but not necessarily for the better. It seems there is no pleasing anyone in management. The ability to fly under the radar gets more difficult each day. It is becoming more of a job and less of a career.

The money is good but you will earn every cent. Would I go driving if I were in your shoes. Probably but I would also keep options open.

Back first

Pay is good, but this job is not easy. If you are in decent shape you should be fine. I have been a driver for 15 years with no injuries and still manage to find time to train for 10 Ironmans.

rod

Retired 22 years
Go become a driver. Do what you have to do to get qualified. Once qualified find a pace that is both productive and SAFE. Screw their numbers. You should know going in that no matter how good you do it will NEVER be good enough so develop a thick skin and selective hearing and you will be fine. The pay and bennies for a driver are excellent so keep reminding yourself that you CAN put up with their BS for what you are getting in return. It can be tough on family life but working 5 days a week for the big bucks is better than having to work 6 or 7 at some 7-10 buck an hour job just to get by. GOOD LUCK.

Jas85374

To all, a little about me and further insight from what you think. I am in great shape, I am considered one of the best in every position that I have been delt. I take challenges by the balls and make them my bitch. Also, my skin is thicker than anyone in the hub.that I've seen. Management can kiss my ass! My only real concern is that others say that it's not even worth the pay, but I don't think it could be worse than doubling constantly in our Phoenix 110 degree weather. Furthermore, I am smart as ever. The only reason I left college was the expense. Plus I prefer labor over bio molecular technology and could make just as much $ driving. Are the hub rats and down talkers just sissies or what?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jas85374

Oh and to add to that I do have a wife and a child with one more on the way... Wouldn't the 9.5 language help with the super long hours?

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
To all, a little about me and further insight from what you think. I am in great shape, I am considered one of the best in every position that I have been delt. I take challenges by the balls and make them my bitch. Also, my skin is thicker than anyone in the hub.that I've seen. Management can kiss my ass! My only real concern is that others say that it's not even worth the pay, but I don't think it could be worse than doubling constantly in our Phoenix 110 degree weather. Furthermore, I am smart as ever. The only reason I left college was the expense. Plus I prefer labor over bio molecular technology and could make just as much $ driving. Are the hub rats and down talkers just sissies or what?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Don't kid yourself. This job is tough and nothing but doing the job can prepare yourself for it. There are times when even after 30 years (27 driving) I want to beat my head into the wall.

The job will beat you physically. No matter what kind of shape you are in you will feel aches and pains in places you didn't know existed.

Ignore the nay sayers but you must make this decision with your eyes wide open. UPS has provided for my family but they expect a lot in return.

JL 0513

OP, shall we assume you're not in college? If you've been working PT at UPS for 6.5 years then it seems like your options are limited, which is fine. You've invested a lot of time in the company for the opportunity. There's very few options out there to make anywhere near the money and benefits as a driver outside of high skilled jobs that you can't qualify for.

Don't listen to most of the negativity that you hear. I find most guys exaggerate. It can be hard work but so aren't a lot of jobs, especially one's writing big paychecks.

I recommend it if you like to drive, are physically strong,
and don't mind averaging 45-47 hours a week.

Go for it. Worse that happens is you don't like it or don't qualify and you're back where you started to make other decisions.

browntroll

you should try it but its not for everyone. i talked to a 12 year part timer that just did his driver try out.
he told me he liked the driving and everything seemed easy but he couldnt figure out that diad board or whatever its called.
i have seen a few ppl that just cant do it for one reason or another, i know im not gonna be able to do it much since joint problems
run in my family. i believe you should try it though to see how you like it but remember they dont always start you off on the
hardest route till they have their hooks in you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Could happen but at least you would be a rich divorced drunk who could buy some new friends.

And, you will meet a really hot chick on route, bring her to events that your ex will also be at. The steam out of her head is priceless!

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
Don't worry OP, yes everything you've read is 98% true but what a lot of drivers don't tell you is that it can also be very rewarding... ie the friendships you create with your customers.

At the end of the day you've got to look within yourself and ask if this is the right move for you & your family!