I want a drivers opinion

JL 0513

I think this idea about our hours being hard on wives is overblown. So we get home an hour or two later than a typical 5pm finisher. Those that finish work at 5 likely start an hour earlier than we do at 8am. If you are getting home at 9 then your center sucks. I'm done at 6:30-7 each night.

Also to consider is that drivers make the equivalent of two average incomes therefore allowing the wife to stay home. Isn't that a far better scenario than the millions of mothers that are forced to work full time while raising kids to get by? Seems to me that UPS wives are better off.

If your wife can't handle you getting home at 7pm each night, then that's pretty sad. There's tons of jobs that have much crappier hours. My brother in law is a registered nurse and works 3rd shift while his wife works day shift and they have a baby. Try that! Or how about working retail and working until 10-11pm. They can't be married either?

Not sure what world many of you are living in, but take a look around. It's not sunshine and lollipops everywhere outside of UPS.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
imagesP3A1BWXE.jpg
I love my job! and most women!..lmao

Jas85374

Just remember dude, the first thing you do is stuff that 401k or IRA to the max. This is the type of job where your not guaranteed a tomorrow with your health. Its that serious the job is. You can get hurt bad in a blink of an eye and your career can end. Plus you may not want to this job for that long. A lot of us have got 10 to 25 years in driving or more and most of us not all of us are sick of the job or literally hate it because of what they have made the job become and that's the gods honest truth. Job used to be cool but all depending on your center and area of course, mostly sucks now.
That's exactly what I planned on doing with the 401k and ira.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jas85374

Basically ups is like crack cocain. The paycheck is the high , but you wish you would have never found out about it or tried it, and the paycheck is the high. But if it's not payday,it's hell. FYI. Just read post and am in edit right now to let people know I never have , nor ever would smoke crack. Lol.
That's what I meant with the "should have warned me 6.5 years ago" bit. Between the pay and the medical(that is even bigger of a perk with a family) you get stuck from get go. Doubling gets you decent pay as well after a couple years. Rough, but what can you do?

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

That's exactly what I planned on doing with the 401k and ira.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Only problem is that the next collapse will be far worse than 2008, where most people lost half of their 401K's. That's the fear I have about dumping large percentages of your paycheck into them.

I'd also be sure to invest in hard assets. Property, gold, ect. Paper assets can become worthless overnight.

rod

Retired 22 years
Only problem is that the next collapse will be far worse than 2008, where most people lost half of their 401K's. That's the fear I have about dumping large percentages of your paycheck into them.

I'd also be sure to invest in hard assets. Property, gold, ect. Paper assets can become worthless overnight.

Hard assets have all taken a beating at one time or another----just ask anyone who bought silver from the Hunt brothers for 50 bucks an ounce or paid 1800 bucks an ounce for gold a few months ago and don't get me started on real estate. I still know people who are living in homes that aren't worth half of what they financed them for. Collectable cars and antiques have all seen their values head to the crapper. To be honest I don't know what I would invest in if I was just getting started now-----probably guns.

brownrod

I have reached a point of seniority where I now may be able to go driving. I was wondering if this is a good idea because as far as the hub talk goes everyone is pretty negative about it. As drivers, do you regret going driving? Personally, driving was my goal when I got hired 6.5 years ago. There are a lot of nay sayers though. Your thoughts? Positives/Negatives?

Sent using BrownCafe App

How bad do you want to make 90k per year? There are a ton of negatives. The positive part is being outside, being alone and making 90k+ per year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Buy low, sell high.

My 401k has more than recovered since 2008.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How bad do you want to make 90k per year? There are a ton of negatives. The positive part is being outside, being alone and making 90k+ per year.
That's what I'm thinking about.

Keep in mind that in order to make $90K you need to work a ton of overtime. 40 hours straight time will gross $65-70K depending on what your top rate is. You would have to work 8-10 hours of OT each week to gross $90K.

oldngray

nowhere special
Hard assets have all taken a beating at one time or another----just ask anyone who bought silver from the Hunt brothers for 50 bucks an ounce or paid 1800 bucks an ounce for gold a few months ago and don't get me started on real estate. I still know people who are living in homes that aren't worth half of what they financed them for. Collectable cars and antiques have all seen their values head to the crapper. To be honest I don't know what I would invest in if I was just getting started now-----probably guns.

Guns are something that never decline in value but not a liquid asset. I have thousands of dollars worth of guns but it would take a lot of time to turn that into cash if I needed to.